Tracking Fuel Economy, trips and other info about your Car

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Dairgo

Tracking Fuel Economy, trips and other info about your Car

Post by Dairgo »

So thought I would throw this out there after going to the GenVibe meet.

Seeing as GM and Toyota so blessed us with a vehicle that does not have a dic (Dashboard Information Center) to feed us current mpg, average mpg and other important information, I've found a work around. I've purchased an OBD II bluetooth device ( http://www.amazon.com/Docooler-Version- ... bd2+ELM327) and connect it to my android phone using the Dash App (https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... sh.android) to track instant and current mpg, battery voltage, engine temp, miles driven (on current trip) and time driven (on current trip). you can also track many more things such as: MPH, RPM, fuel range etc... And I think you can also see error codes with it.

Annoyingly... it also tries to correct your driving, telling you if you brake hard (fast) or accelerate fast... I've turned off the audio notifications.
Nathankenney94

Re: Tracking Fuel Economy, trips and other info about your Car

Post by Nathankenney94 »

That is pretty cool might have to get it. Thanks for sharing.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Nice, thought about a bluetooth module, but considered that I would likely need to keep the smartphone always charging or might need to relaunch the app after starting the vehicle. On the plus side, if you have multiple vehicles and bought more than one bluetooth module, some apps can go car to car and keep the last settings. Plus most of the apps are updated regularly with new vehicles, gauges, and styles. Post what gauges you end up using the most and if it does have error code detection.

Ending up going a different route, dedicated system display:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=41757&hilit=ultra

Overall if you do not drive your vehicle for a several weeks, should probably unplug add ons from the OBD port. Some of the add on modules can inadvertently keep the computer from going into full sleep, causing the battery to slowly drain.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Yeah, I flip my phone sideways so I get the gauges reading out how I like them, and that way I can also plug in my phone. Took a look at that Ultra Gauge, looks like a nice solution, but for now, having spent $15 on the OBD II and the free dash app.. I'm happy with what I got.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I got me a ScanGauge II back when I first got my Vibe. Then found another one "real cheap" and got it for my son's Vibe. Although it is just only text (I really like the graphics that other brands offer) it fits my needs ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Having that data built in is pretty nice on our two newer cars, but I did the same work around using an old Android phone and the Torque app on both of my Vibes.

I was lucky that my first android phone fit perfectly in the 09-10 instrument panel with a silicone cover. I ran the power cord behind the radio trim.

The 03 does not have as easy of a spot to mount it, so it sits on the front console in front of the shifter when I use it. I also use a windshield mount for another old cell phone used as a dash cam. I might set up Torque on it so that I can run the dash cam in the background and Torque on top.

I'll have to look at that other app. How is it running? Comments said a lot about it crashing, so it probably needs a newer phone and not my old one to run.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

I've not had any issues with it crashing, but I use my current phone (nexus 5) to run it, so it has a little horse power behind it and it's readily compatible with most apps as it doesn't have any skins or bloatware etc.. I admit though, every now and again I have to force the sync, it sometimes doesn't want to sync with the OBD II, but that's about it. I've been using it for 11705 miles now, and no major issues.

I also use Car Logger to track how my actually mpg per fill-up. You put in your odometer reading at each fill-up as well as how many gallons and fuel price, and it calculates the rest. It has a few built in charts / reports so you can see how you're doing mpg wise, fuel price, fillup costs, etc... After the Canada trip, I figured out it does not do unit conversion at all when you change units, so you're on your own for that, otherwise, nice simple app.