oil burners

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
burrpenick

oil burners

Post by burrpenick »

I had an 03 that started burning oil at around 100k and it got worse than I could accept by 170K. I've read that the 03 was one of the years that had that issue, but, I'd like to know if its been common with say 2004 and up?

Thanks, George
Chiadog

Re: oil burners

Post by Chiadog »

Hi George,
I haven't heard of Vibes or Corolla's being oil burners. But my old Saturn SL1 started burning oil when I switched to synthetic oil at about 100K. Did you switch to a different oil when the problem started?
burrpenick

Post by burrpenick »

no, was just using DINO oil and I really took great care of the car- semi mechanic guy here. I did try some syn later to see it that would help, also played with other viscosities, still the same. NO SMOKE. Its possible that a valve job may have fixed that problem.......... George
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

George,

As an owner of an 2008 built 2009 2nd gen, it may burn oil. I've not had it burn oil yet.
burrpenick

Post by burrpenick »

when it was happening, someone on the list said the 03's were more prone than others. Not sure why. I didnt buy this new, but it had a few thousand miles, so may be someone was really hard on it? I dont think its been a real issue with most Vibes. GP
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

I know there's a weird TSB on that engine for oil consumption. It states that under filling the crankcase can somehow cause it. They've went as far as to redesign the dipstick moving the cross hatch area up. But from what I've heard it's an issue with the piston rings.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Not an expert on the smaller 1.8l engines BUT as Dairgo mentioned, us 2009 Vibe owners with the bigger 2.4l engine do have some oil consumption issues. No smoke & no leaks BUT 2 quarts need to be added during the 5000 mile interval on my son's 2009 Vibe GT auto (currently at 62k miles). His was an April 2008 build date. My identical Vibe (a 5-speed manual), was a January 2009 build date has NO oil consumption at all.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

gtv237 wrote:I know there's a weird TSB on that engine for oil consumption. It states that under filling the crankcase can somehow cause it. They've went as far as to redesign the dipstick moving the cross hatch area up. But from what I've heard it's an issue with the piston rings.
Indeed. Here is a thread on the new dipstick.

Oil consumption on the 1ZZ was especially bad from the beginning up to somewhere in the '03 model year, I believe. I thought the rings were redesigned somewhere around the 2003 model year, not 100% sure...

We've had a few earlier Vibes with oil consumption here but I don't remember it being very widespread. No excessive consumption with our October 2002-built '03 1ZZ. On a short OCI like 3k to my eye I really don't notice any drop in the level at all. Pushing it up to 5k may result in a slight drop but it's still insignificant.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

gtv237 wrote:I know there's a weird TSB on that engine for oil consumption. It states that under filling the crankcase can somehow cause it. They've went as far as to redesign the dipstick moving the cross hatch area up. But from what I've heard it's an issue with the piston rings.
I've also heard valve stem seals for one vehicle, but that may have been a 2ZZ.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
burrpenick

Post by burrpenick »

A pro wrench I know told me that the oil burning in my 03 was most likely caused by worn rings- which I didnt like! Finally sold the car and got a Focus- its OK, better MPG and handling, larger turning circle, less rear vision, less comfortable seats, and smaller hatch opening. George