Probably the end of the road for my poor Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
SGT

Probably the end of the road for my poor Vibe

Post by SGT »

I had been a long time member here since 2003, when I first joined so excited about my wonderful new 2004 Vibe. It's been a great car, almost 12 years later and 165,000 miles and it runs like a top. Until yesterday anyway. I had given the car to my son when I got a new car about 2 years ago. He was driving it yesterday when someone rear ended him pretty hard. He is safe and OK, and that is most important. This is a wonderful testament for the safety of this awesome car. The back is all pushed in, I think the frame may be bent, but it kept my son safe. I am impressed with how this car held up. He's a safe driver, so no fault on his side and the Vibe kept him safe.

So it's a sad day for the Vibe, but so happy my son is OK. The back doors won't open, the trim in the hatch area is all busted up, but he's safe and that is what is the most important. I would buy another Vibe, and maybe we will to replace this one if the insurance company totals it.

So what did the other car look like? She hit hard. I'd say in this Versa versus Vibe match up, the Versa lost, big time...
Attachments
vibe4.jpg
vibe4.jpg (45.43 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
VIbe3.jpg
VIbe3.jpg (37.13 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
VIbe1.jpg
VIbe1.jpg (45.97 KiB) Viewed 2278 times
2004 Base Vibe - Frosty - Two Tone Automatic, ABS, 16 inch factory alloy wheels, Power Package, Cargo Nets and Mat
SGT

Re: Probably the end of the road for my poor Vibe

Post by SGT »

Here's what the other car looked like.
Attachments
Versa1.jpg
Versa1.jpg (46.78 KiB) Viewed 2277 times
2004 Base Vibe - Frosty - Two Tone Automatic, ABS, 16 inch factory alloy wheels, Power Package, Cargo Nets and Mat
trb

Post by trb »

Sorry to hear about your Vibe! But you are correct, it did a good job protecting your son. I've seen many pics of wrecked Vibes on here, and generally there are very few or fairly minor injuries from the accidents. My daughter got rear ended in my 2010 GT last year just like your son, and she was just fine with only a sore neck for a few days. I would have bought her a new Vibe, but she really wanted something a bit bigger for her own car, so we got her a Rogue. I got myself another Vibe, this time with a manual transmission since my daughter would not be driving it! :D

Good luck with the settlement and hope that your son is 100% OK after this!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Good thing your son is safe. I also hope that the driver of the Versa is safe.

You are probably right: the car's structure is likely bent because the rear doors don't open.

Wishing you all the best in dealing with the insurance.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Safety first and YES ... Glad all those involved in this mishap were safe. The fact that the doors won't open in an indication of frame damage. A good frame shop will be able to "stretch" it back to factory specs and then the doors will once again open, Then just a newer rear hatch & bumper. If they total it, it will be worth fixing and will not costs much. Keep up posted on the outcome.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Baltovibe

Post by Baltovibe »

So sorry for your Vibe, but thankful your son is ok.

It doesn't take much to total a 2004 Vibe these days. My Vibe has been rear-ended several times in the past 10 years, but was repaired each time.

Not sure what would happen if it gets rear-ended again, but will probably get totaled. So, to help prevent that, I purchased a SpareBumper attachment, and applied reflective tape for more visibility.

Wish I could get those wonderful alloy wheels!
That which may be known of God is evident within man, for God has shown it to them, so that they are without excuse.(Romans 1:19-20)&nbspWhat do you want most in life?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

[quote="tpollauf"]Safety first and YES ... Glad all those involved in this mishap were safe. The fact that the doors won't open in an indication of frame damage. A good frame shop will be able to "stretch" it back to factory specs and then the doors will once again open, Then just a newer rear hatch & bumper. If they total it, it will be worth fixing and will not costs much. Keep up posted on the outcome.[/quote

Fat chance that will happen. Insurance will probably total.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Glad your son is okay, which is what is really important.
trb

Post by trb »

Nasmfell wrote:
tpollauf wrote:Safety first and YES ... Glad all those involved in this mishap were safe. The fact that the doors won't open in an indication of frame damage. A good frame shop will be able to "stretch" it back to factory specs and then the doors will once again open, Then just a newer rear hatch & bumper. If they total it, it will be worth fixing and will not costs much. Keep up posted on the outcome.
Fat chance that will happen. Insurance will probably total.
Right, insurance will total it, and then someone will buy it at auction for $800-1,200 and fix it on the cheap. Then someone will have a great car for maybe $2K or so. I've actually looked at a few online that were very minorly ? damaged that would be easy fixes. One just needed a hatch and a new rear bumper and tail light to look good cosmetically. Looked like the doors worked.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Sorry about the Vibe, but very glad to hear your son is okay which is most important. Be sure to keep us updated on what ends up happening with insurance. Good luck ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage