04 Vibe stock roof weight limit - really 75lbs?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
canadave

04 Vibe stock roof weight limit - really 75lbs?

Post by canadave »

I know the manual says the weight limit for the 04 Vibe's roof racks is 75 pounds. I've heard some rumours though that you can get away with a lot more than that on the crossbars...is that true?

The reason I ask is that I have a tandem kayak that's 72 lbs, not counting the aluminum paddles that I carry on it, and not counting a couple of pounds' worth of extra equipment I store in it. Since I want to carry it with foam blocks on the factory crossbars, I'd probably be slightly above the stated weight limit. And I also cinch the straps that hold the kayak onto the rack down pretty snugly, so it's not like the kayak would just be "resting weight" on top of the racks. Which gives me pause :) However, if someone were to say "oh, that 75 lbs weight limit is just a very, very conservative number, you'll be fine", then I'd be thrilled...
2009 base Vibe, silver"
canadave

Re: 04 Vibe stock roof weight limit - really 75lbs?

Post by canadave »

Any ideas on this? Kayak season is fast approaching up in the cold frigid north... :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

I can't imagine being 5-10 lbs over would be an issue. The numbers are generally conservative especially if they were generated by Toyota. Why don't you start with a test load before an actual trip? Check to see when and if any deformation begins. Load the heaviest stuff first then stack on weight. Keep track of the total weight, if possible. If you get everything up there and do not notice any roof deformation, give everything a little push up and down to simulate some good bumps/dips in the road.

Is it possible to throw a few of those supplies or even the paddles into the Vibe itself making this whole thing a mute issue?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
MikeReilly

Post by MikeReilly »

We've put two kayaks on our roof racks: a Necky Zoar and a Necky Manitou 13. No issues, fairly long trips (3+ hrs). My brother puts three paddle boards on his.
B14CK_H4WK

Post by B14CK_H4WK »

I'm pretty sure you can get away with way more weight. I have stood on the roof of my car before.. But as far as the rack itself goes I'm not too sure I took mine off.
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

I've sat on my roof rack before to star gaze. All of my weight on one of the crossbars and no issues. Felt sturdy under me. I weigh 175 lb.
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
canadiantruth

Post by canadiantruth »

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I had this exact question a few months ago...

I went for it. I bought a sport rack from Canadian Tire and stacked it with boxes upon boxes in a move. I had in excess of 300lbs up there (not to mention 2 people and another 500+/- lbs inside) and didn't appear to affect anything structurally. This was a 1000km trip through snow and slush up one side of the rockies and down the other. Other than some high revving and bad gas mileage, my 2004 vibe with 300,000km and took it like a champ.

I wouldn't think twice about doubling the recommended 75lbs.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

thebarber

Post by thebarber »