new member ct

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
ctgottapee

new member ct

Post by ctgottapee »

2009 Black 2.4L AWD with 216k highway miles, everything stock at purchase except aftermarket wheels

Great car for what it is and got a steal of a price, still getting use to the cabin noise and rattles...
....searching the forum for tuneup advice and diagrams

Located right outside Pontiac so maybe I'll stop by the meet up in June; seems odd people will travel to ptown of all places, but that is a nice route66 mural the walldogs did for photo ops ;)
Attachments
41481049412.391888293.IM1.14.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
41481049412.391888293.IM1.14.565x421_A.562x421.jpg (29.87 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
41481049404.391888293.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421 (1).jpg
41481049404.391888293.IM1.06.565x421_A.562x421 (1).jpg (44.03 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
41481049399.391888293.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg
41481049399.391888293.IM1.MAIN.565x421_A.562x421.jpg (43.9 KiB) Viewed 1958 times
vibrologist

Re: new member ct

Post by vibrologist »

Nice catch there, ctgottapee! (great screen name too!)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Thanks for posting pictures right away! That's a very sharp looking 2nd gen AWD you've got there ;)! I like the wheels! Neat to hear you live near Pontiac and may stop by the meet in June!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe ;) Your screen name .... did you make it to the bathroom in time :lol:

Oh, nice Vibe also and for such high mileage it sounds like it's still in great shape. Keep us posted on all progress and repairs
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

apparently not many want a high mileage car, much less a pontiac (not knowing it's a toyota)
scored it for under 5K and got the original wheels with snow tires.
the interior is in great shape as it was basically a one driver highway commute.

thx for the welcome
off to blow some money on upgrades ;)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ctgottapee wrote:off to blow some money on upgrades ;)
What upgrades are you wanting to do?
ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

vibenvy wrote:
ctgottapee wrote:off to blow some money on upgrades ;)
What upgrades are you wanting to do?
first a tuneup. got most of the parts and fluids. will take some time to go through each system and do a little research
then have a full detail scheduled

then repair a few things, rear taillight has a crack; windshield has a crack
then go after rust spots underneath; the brake rotor hats are really bothering me
in time go after rear area rattles; pull plastic and rear seats

next, some led lights; got hids for headlights in, gonna try removing the red plastic piece inside the rear tailights and use a 'spider' led red tail light and have an all clear look

i would like to get rid of the fog lights and got to the stock inserts
also get rid of the luggage rack; ordered the plastic inserts

ordered a honda oem stubby antenna
ordered the gm bumper cover
ordered the 3d floormats

if I'm happy with the vehicle at that point and all looks good, I want to replace the seat fabric with leather & add heating + cooling seats
and then the audio, a basic upgrade, but right now i still have free xm radio from prior owner so gonna hang with that for a bit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi ctgottapee Welcome.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

ctgottapee wrote:first a tuneup. got most of the parts and fluids. will take some time to go through each system and do a little research
then have a full detail scheduled

then repair a few things, rear taillight has a crack; windshield has a crack
then go after rust spots underneath; the brake rotor hats are really bothering me
in time go after rear area rattles; pull plastic and rear seats

next, some led lights; got hids for headlights in, gonna try removing the red plastic piece inside the rear tailights and use a 'spider' led red tail light and have an all clear look

i would like to get rid of the fog lights and got to the stock inserts
also get rid of the luggage rack; ordered the plastic inserts

ordered a honda oem stubby antenna
ordered the gm bumper cover
ordered the 3d floormats

if I'm happy with the vehicle at that point and all looks good, I want to replace the seat fabric with leather & add heating + cooling seats
and then the audio, a basic upgrade, but right now i still have free xm radio from prior owner so gonna hang with that for a bit
That's a heck of a to-do list you've got there. I look forward to seeing pictures of your progress and with any luck, maybe you'll accomplish some upgrades before the meet in Pontiac.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ctgottapee wrote: also get rid of the luggage rack; ordered the plastic inserts
Ahmmmmm .... Rule no 1 on this forum. Always ask for freebies or if any of us menbers here have what you're looking for. I have SEVERAL of the black plastic blanks that clip in the roof of the 2009-10 Vibe's roof rack openings. FREE .... Just give me an address where to send them! From the sounds of it you already have them ordered so maybe you're stuck with them. But, seriously, always ask us here for any possible part(s) and you never know who will pull through and have what you need. Looking forward to progress of your new to you Vibe ;)

ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

tpollauf wrote:
ctgottapee wrote: also get rid of the luggage rack; ordered the plastic inserts
Ahmmmmm .... Rule no 1 on this forum. Always ask for freebies or if any of us menbers here have what you're looking for. I have SEVERAL of the black plastic blanks that clip in the roof of the 2009-10 Vibe's roof rack openings. FREE .... Just give me an address where to send them! From the sounds of it you already have them ordered so maybe you're stuck with them. But, seriously, always ask us here for any possible part(s) and you never know who will pull through and have what you need. Looking forward to progress of your new to you Vibe ;)
Well thanks for the offer.
I needed a new tail light and included them as shipping is more than the item basically so I went ahead.
The forum doesn't seem to have a ton of traffic, especially not for such a rare model so I didn't expect much even if I waited; thought about offering a trade for the roof rack..

They are already ordered but not shipped; I'd guess

If you have 4 to offer, I could see if they'd suspend the order. How did you come by extras?
Some part of it is on back order but they didn't say which.

I may not do to much exciting as it's more of a functional purchase for me to haul around my kid (soccer dad). I'll put work into based on the deal I got and not being able to be so picky.
I really appreciate the offer and it does seem the folks that are around are very friendly and enthusiastic which is great.
Cheers!
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Vibe looks great for having so many miles, but then again they are built to last. I hear you on the rattles. My former 10 GT had a lot of rattles from the rear plastics, but I attribute that to the fact the prior owner installed and then removed a LOT of stereo equipment and did not totally get everything back together on the reassembly. I ended up taking everything apart and putting some foam tape to insulate the parts and then tightening it all back down. It certainly got better, but was never perfect. I ended up turning up the radio a bit to maks it.

Good luck with your mods and it sounds like you have a good idea of what to do. Certainly offer the roof bars for sale on here. You might get a buyer for them.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ctgottapee wrote: If you have 4 to offer, I could see if they'd suspend the order. How did you come by extras?
Actually I have exactly EIGHT of the roof rack covers remaining. Along with TEN radio knobs. I've already given away several over the past three years whenever someone expresses the need. If you can stop by our meet this June I can personally deliver them. Not sure what they costs but if it's only a few $$$ you may want to just accept the ones you already ordered. A whole box of stuff was given to me by a GenVibe member who no longer owned his Vibe so I just pass it out on an as needed basis!

ctgottapee

Post by ctgottapee »

tpollauf wrote:
ctgottapee wrote: If you have 4 to offer, I could see if they'd suspend the order. How did you come by extras?
Actually I have exactly EIGHT of the roof rack covers remaining. Along with TEN radio knobs. I've already given away several over the past three years whenever someone expresses the need. If you can stop by our meet this June I can personally deliver them. Not sure what they costs but if it's only a few $$$ you may want to just accept the ones you already ordered. A whole box of stuff was given to me by a GenVibe member who no longer owned his Vibe so I just pass it out on an as needed basis!
I got the shipment notice right after your offer. They were $7 each which is not bad, but another ten bucks for shipping anything so I added them to my order.
Do the radio knobs break often?
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

ctgottapee wrote: Do the radio knobs break often?
Oh YES they do :x I'd say that every 2009-10 Vibe will eventually need the radio knobs replaced. Several here @ GenVibe have already done so. Do a search and you'll find a few posts on the topic. If your Vibe has the steering wheel controls then your radio may go a bit longer until the knobs break.