New '03 Vibe GT Owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Rvaworm

New '03 Vibe GT Owner

Post by Rvaworm »

First off let me introduce myself. The name is Ashton. I have been registered for close to a month now and finally getting around to my "Introduce Yourself" post. This is my first manual car and all I have to say is that I think I will never go back to an autobox. This car is a blast to drive. I got it for a straight trade for my 2000 Chevy Astro Work Van (I think I got the better end of the deal). My vibe has about 238,XXX on the odometer and about 90,XXX on the motor, clutch and throw out bearings. It needs some body work and some cosmetics done to it but I am taking it 1 step at a time. First off is that I am going to be getting some new retrofitted headlights made from a fellow member on here. Then it is going to be rims and tires after the first of may when the owner gets back from oversea. Just installed a new stereo system (head unit, amp, and 1 12" sub) the other day and I do have to say the stock speakers from the moon and tunes package sounds awesome. Any who Here is some pictures of my Vibe, Electra (as I call her lol)

Salsa Guy

Re: New '03 Vibe GT Owner

Post by Salsa Guy »

Nice Find, looks clean.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
mkowdley
Site Admin

Post by mkowdley »

looks great!
Rvaworm

Post by Rvaworm »

I'll be honest, the interior is filthy. Previous owners had a couple of kids and under everything is candy wrappers, toys, melted suckers, papers, etc etc. I need a few days off in a row so i can gut the entire interior and power wash the crap out of it. But its my daily and its a work in progress
GOF

Post by GOF »

My wife's new to us 2008 base suffers the same mess. Asked why they wanted to get rid of the Vibe the answer was "We are expecting again. No place for the third car seat."
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome Rvaworm!
Electra should turn out to be a very rewarding project! It already looks good on the outside. I too took the interior out to clean everything and remove lots of dog hair and to collect a few happy meal toys.
And I totally agree: the moon and tunes stereo is awesome with only a few sound deadening measures. :mrgreen:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! I agree, it does look pretty good on the outside. One thing about the Vibe interiors is they seem to be very well made and hold up to a lot. Hopefully you can clean it up "as good as new".

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
GOF

Post by GOF »

The local detail shop wants $50 to shampoo the carpets and seats. I'm gonna let them do it. I have better ways to spend an afternoon.
Rvaworm

Post by Rvaworm »

Well the car was in a accident. You can tell by the matte black driver side fender, broken headlight mounts and warped upper radiator core support. Also the plastic trim on the bottom of the drivers door i need to re-clip back on. Previous owner used a screw on the passenger side door, you can kinda see it in the picture. I am getting new retrofit headlights soon (hopefully they will go in fine without too much work) and haven't looked for the upper radiator core support yet. (probably should do that now I guess)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Ashton! Props on posting pictures of your "new" Vibe right away ;)! Looks good :cool:! It sounds like you already have a good start on modifying it. You should start a thread in the Garage Forum to document your progress.

FYI, car-part.com can be an invaluable site to find used parts in junkyards near you ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
1gnvibe

Post by 1gnvibe »

Welcome, definitely keep us posted on the progress.
97 Neon Sedan - 'trollmobile' - 5sp, 52mm TB, Sport Exhaust, factory white ACR wheels, Kicker 300w monoblock pushing 2 MTX 5500 12s
04 Vibe GT 'murdervibe' - Abyss Black, plasti-dipped badges and wheels, Tein S Techs on stock struts, tinted everything
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. You definitely did get the better end of the deal! As far as a mess interior wise ... I can certainly relate to that :lol: My son's Blue 09 Vibe GT in my signature, had goo, suckers, spilled sugary beverages, brown stuff, etc. all over the interior and we ended up gutting the car to remove everything down to the steel uni-body and clean it thoroughly. It was a dealer trade in OR a repo car for all I know! The bright side was that we got a one year old car for $13,100 at the time. It just needed a S H I T load of work done to it. Keep this Vibe for many years to come and enjoy the ride ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Psychobroker

Post by Psychobroker »

Congrats on a great find! It warms my heart when I hear of people seeking out these 1st gen GT's :D