Known Vibe issues

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
basist4

Known Vibe issues

Post by basist4 »

Is there a thread with known issues/problems w/ the Vibe?

I just bought an 03 base and already found issues with it, and using the search, found some threads...

1) Door Catch worn out = doors swing wide open (possibly hitting other cars in parking lot or door damage in high winds)
2) Door Catch interferes w/ power windows rolling down all the way when door closes
(I can't find a definitive answer on if this is a Service Bulletin or Full on Recall)
3) Fresh Air/Recirculate actuator clicks/pops when not it Recirculate (teeth on gear get stripped)
4) Speakers have gone to crap

Just curious if there are any other items to be on the watch for that are common issues (engine/suspension/brakes)?

maybe make a sticky for folks looking to buy this car...a "Check these items to see if they work or not" checklist...
vibrologist

Re: Known Vibe issues

Post by vibrologist »

Well, so far it was not needed (maybe). Now that Vibes reach their midlife it may change.

You gave a good start, so let me add a few from memory:

Gen1:
* Radio display going dark: 3 little lamps are burning out.
*Intake manifold gasket fails: causes rough running in extreme cold weather. Replace gasket.
*Moon roof rattles.
*5 speed manual transmission failure.

Gen2:
Volume knob on radio fails.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Regarding window problems... Check the VIN and make sure there is not an applicable recall.

Early Vibes got free bolts for the window regulators under recall as they would back out and shatter the glass. Ours would pop about halfway down, post-repair the operation is much smoother.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Gen 1:
Windshield clips rattle sometimes. TSB for Corolla exists.
Window switch fire recall.
Airbag recall.
PSM recall.
A/C compressor clutch issues; rest of compressor usually OK.
Valve stem seals leak oils 2003-2004 sometimes.

Gen 2:
Interior paint peels on doors.
2.4L oil consumption issue on some vehicles.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

basist4 wrote: 2) Door Catch interferes w/ power windows rolling down all the way when door closes
(I can't find a definitive answer on if this is a Service Bulletin or Full on Recall)
I do not think that it is either a Service Bulletin or a recall. There was a recall for loose window mounting screws, but as far as I can tell, for the door check interference problem there are only GSNs on it (genvibe service notes ;) ) See
viewtopic.php?f=29&t=35798 and
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=31218

Initially on early vibes, seemed like there were problems with the storage bin under the shifter falling open.

more maintenance related, but sunroof drains can get clogged, allowing water inside and AC water drain hose can get kicked off, leading to lots of water in the front passenger floor

catalytic converters fail, which I wonder if it might be related to oil consumption issues some (and me) had

Low mounted glass fog light lenses seem to draw stones

There were a lot of complaints about paint chipping easily

Nastiness from unmanaged cabin air filter

At some point, the O ring sealing the timing chain tensioner on the back of the 1ZZ engine will begin leaking.

A lot of people had serpentiune belt tensioners get noisy

The 09+ had frequent issues with the radio control knob breaking
jake75

Post by jake75 »

The steering column rattle - on my 2009 only noticeable on an in town uneven road. They say not a safety issue so no recall or no cost fix under warranty.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Below are all the 2009-2010 Vibe known issues, recalls and Technical Service Bulletins (TSB) I could think of. I also included a link to the most relevant thread for each issue, recall and TSB.

2009-2010 Vibe Known Issues
2.4L Engine Oil Consumption

Broken Radio Knob/s

Fading / Flaking Paint on 2.4L Engine Cover

Fading / Flaking Paint on Interior Door Panel/s

Rust on Sunroof Glass Frame

Steering Column Rattle

2009-2010 Vibe Recalls & Technical Service Bulletins (TSB)
Accelerator Pedal Recall

5-Speed Automatic Transmission Harsh Downshift TSB

Lost Wheel Center Cap/s TSB

Master Window Switch Recall

This thread should definitely be stickied!