09/10 Vibe: head room, cockpit feel?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
canadave

09/10 Vibe: head room, cockpit feel?

Post by canadave »

Hi folks,

I'm so enamored with our 2004 Vibe that I'm starting to look at Vibes to replace my aging 02 Elantra. I've never driven in an 09/10 Vibe, and none seem to be around here at the moment, so I'm wondering if people can just tell me--how's the front seat headroom in the 2nd gen Vibe for tall people?

Also, I *have* driven in a late model Matrix, and I found the cockpit more "closed in feeling" than the 04 Vibe--the Vibe feels much more open and airy in the driver's seat. Is the same issue present in the late model Vibes?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
MrManager

Re: 09/10 Vibe: head room, cockpit feel?

Post by MrManager »

I have an 09 GT. I'm 6' tall and have the seat tilted back a little (the seat when upright hurts after a while), and I feel completely fine. The sunshade or sunroof open also helps make it feel pretty open. I never feel like I'm going to be hitting my head anything.
2009 Vibe GT
trb

Post by trb »

The 09-10 Vibe interior is identical to the Matrix, except for the Toyota badges and seat trim, so it will feel just like the Matrix does. I did find it to be a bit more closed in than the 03-08 models, but it did not bother me. There was plenty of height and I put the seat at the max height adjustment in mine. But I'm only 5'9".
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

i am 6'3" and with seat all way down i have plenty of room. i don't even have it back all way. i have an 09.
canadave

Post by canadave »

I just got the opportunity to test drive a 2009 base Vibe for the first time. It's definitely okay for me (I'm 6' 4"). It may feel slightly more cramped just due to the more sloped windshield, which presents a narrower forward view, but I'm sure that's more just an illusion than anything being actually more cramped.

What REALLY surprised me, and which I'd love to hear someone explain, is the amount of pickup with the engine. WOW what a difference. The 2004 I'm driving struggles up hills, while this 2009 (still with just the 1.8L engine) just seemed to easily attack hills with no problem. There's only a 4 HP different between the two...am I just imagining this difference in perceived power?? It seemed quite pronounced, but I confirmed with the sales guy that it was indeed just a 1.8L base engine. While I was driving it, I thought it had to be the 2.4L engine.
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

I would bet money that it was a base model with the 2.4l engine upgrade (like mine), and the sales guy just assumed since it was a 'base' model it had the 'base' engine. I see this all the time on dealership used Vibe ads with the ad descriptions saying 1.8l but the pictures clearly showing the 2.4l shifter and wheels. What you are describing is exactly how the 2.4l drives. The 1.8l definitely has noticeably more lag on the hills.
Image  Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

That has to be it. Is there any easy way to verify which engine is in the car?
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Easiest way is the wheels, as long as they're stock. Check this post for the different wheels:
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40003

The other ways are the shifter (2.4l has a full paddle-shift while 1.8l just has D and 2/low gears), rear brakes (2.4l has disk, 1.8l has drum) and of course looking under the hood (2.4l has silver exhaust manifold forward, 1.8l has black intake forward).
Image  Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

Hmm, thanks very much. That's very odd, then, because what you hypothesized would be a perfect explanation for what I experienced yesterday--except, now looking at the photos of the engine interior, I know for sure that the black engine cover said "Dual VVT-i", as shown on the 2ZR-FE engine photo. I can't remember the colour of the manifold, although I don't believe it was the big silver one of the 2AZ-FE 2.4L, but I definitely remember that lettering, because I was wondering if the "Dual" meant that it was 2.4L :)

I just sent an email to the dealer asking him to send photos of the areas you mentioned (he's 150km away, otherwise I'd just pop over and look myself in person).
2009 base Vibe, silver"
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

Weird. I wouldn't think the difference would be noticeable with only 4HP and 3-6 ft/lb torque between the two, especially since the 09 is heavier. What's huge in the 2.4l is the low end torque.
Image  Image
canadave

Post by canadave »

Indeed.

Other than my perception simply being skewed, there are only two other possible explanations I can think of--(a) the 2009 I drove has had some other kind of modification done to it, which seems very unlikely; or (b) unbeknownst to me, my 2004 Vibe has had substandard proper engine performance ever since I bought it (I'm the 2nd owner). I suppose that latter one is possible, but that would probably affect fuel economy I'd think, and that seems to be in line with spec. Plus, it doesn't feel substandard, just a little sluggish on hills, which is to be expected.

I guess maybe my perceptions must have been skewed. I can't believe that, though, especially since I drove my 2004 Vibe over to the dealer to test drive the 2009! :)
2009 base Vibe, silver"
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I am 6'1" and can wear a hat while driving my 2009. Before buying in 2009 I test drove some cars that my hair was brushing the ceiling without a hat. The Vibe is very roomy for a compact.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Rayven01 wrote:rear brakes (2.4l has disk, 1.8l has drum)
All 2009-2010 Vibes have standard four wheel disc brakes ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage