Transmission and torque converter

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FrankVibe1946

Transmission and torque converter

Post by FrankVibe1946 »

:roll: I have a 2009 Vibe AWD with the 4 speed transmission. It has 105,000 miles on it. I have owned it since new. At around 20 to 35 mph, when the torque converter starts to lock, I get a noise that sounds something like a loose piece of metal. The tach will vary about 50 to 100 rpms.There are no codes, hard or pending. I have talked to several Pontic shops and a Toyota shop, but nobody seems to have had the problem. I am worried that if I keep driving the car I will ruin something. Does anybody have any ideas.
vibrologist

Re: Transmission and torque converter

Post by vibrologist »

I am not sure if I should even post on this because I haven't had that kind of problem. So my input may be worth less than 2 cents.

Your description makes me think that the converter lock mechanism is failing. You describe the sound as metallic. It worries me because it could create metal shavings.
If you are lucky it is an intermittent or weak electrical contact, possibly on the outside of the transmission.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
FrankVibe1946

Re: Transmission and torque converter

Post by FrankVibe1946 »

Thanks for the reply. This is what I think the problem is. I just don't want to throw expensive parts at the problem and still not cure it. :roll: