trans cooler

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tpar1220

trans cooler

Post by tpar1220 »

i tried searching here and other places online but not finding anything. i am wanting to add an external trans cooler to my 09 vibe with auto. i need to know which lines are "from trans to rad" and "from rad to trans". i tried feeling em after driving it to hopefully feel which is hotter but couldn't tell as both were hot.

youtube is usually pretty good for this kinda thing but didn't show anything.
lannvouivre

Re: trans cooler

Post by lannvouivre »

Try disconnecting the lines from the radiator, putting their outlets in drain pans, and having someone else watch which one pushes fluid out while you start it up.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tad2much

Post by tad2much »

i have no experience to contribute here, sorry. But just wanted to say the project sounds interesting. Why install a transmission cooler? I assume it's good for the transmission, but does the vibe have transmission issues as it is?

When you do it, take lots of pictures for a how-to write up! :D
2005 Vibe, base, salsa red.
Power windows/locks.
Eclipse AVN 4403 head unit w/ integrated Tomtom navi.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Normally it's the lower that is Rad to Tranny. On my Trix and Lexus it is. I'd say disconnect the lines, put them in a bucket, start it up and see what happens. Worst case is that you'll need to add some fluid.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

This thread may help.

You may also want to contact beemerphile1. I know he has a transmission cooler installed on his 2009 1.8L Vibe that he tows a small trailer with.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

i chocked wheels, set e brake, started it from cold and put in drive. went out and held both lines at rad. the top started getting warm first so i assume that is from trans to rad, which means bottom is the one i want. i took my cooler that i have had sittin around unused for years to couple hardware stores and auto parts place to get correct fittings and nobody had em. so as soon as i source the correct fittings i will get it mounted. looks easy enough. the trans lines runs from pass side of rad and run across bottom to driver side and come up and are rubber hose going towards trans. so... once oi get everything this should be simple.

prolly hardest thing is getting my big hands in there to mount to radiator. hopefully i just need to loosen fan and tilt back enough to get hands in there. when i do it i will get some pics.

thanks for replies...
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I just installed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39CL8/ref ... W4UGUY1994 for my trailer antics. Just need to install the lights harness. :(
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

lannvouivre wrote:I just installed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39CL8/ref ... W4UGUY1994 for my trailer antics. Just need to install the lights harness. :(
NICE!! any pics? how hard was it to get the plastic ties thru the rad and condenser to attach to front of condenser? did you need to loosen fan to fit hand in there. i still havn't found my fittings needed to install mine. by looks of pic from your link your cooler doesn't have the fittings like mine. hoses attach right to cooler nipples. wish mine was that way.

heck... i may just order one like yours and keep the one i have for my olds. oh... was i correct in thinking the return line is bottom?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

tpar1220 wrote:
lannvouivre wrote:I just installed http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000C39CL8/ref ... W4UGUY1994 for my trailer antics. Just need to install the lights harness. :(
NICE!! any pics? how hard was it to get the plastic ties thru the rad and condenser to attach to front of condenser? did you need to loosen fan to fit hand in there. i still havn't found my fittings needed to install mine. by looks of pic from your link your cooler doesn't have the fittings like mine. hoses attach right to cooler nipples. wish mine was that way.

heck... i may just order one like yours and keep the one i have for my olds. oh... was i correct in thinking the return line is bottom?
Yes. The bottom line from the transmission is the return line. I started the car up with it unhooked and spewed about two quarts into a bucket in about ten seconds. I removed the fan and overflow for easy access, just remove the top two 10 mm bolts and unhook the hose from the radiator cap's little relief valve, then pull straight up. Much easier that way. If you leave the shroud in, it's a major pain cutting the little thru-clips.

EDIT: To unhook the fan, use some kind of dark magic to disconnect the electric connector, then use needlenose pliers from the back of the wire-retaining clips to compress their prongs. You can feel of them to check the orientation of the clip and compress it, then it pops out. There are two clips like this, it's easier to position the pliers so the handle is down and the nose is up.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

I haven't been on for a while and just noticed this thread. I do have a transmission cooler in my 2009 1.8L.

I mounted it in front of the condenser/radiator after popping out the grille insert. I made my own aluminum brackets for mounting about .5" from the condenser. I don't trust mounting it directly to the condenser because vibration could cause a a leak eventually from rubbing.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

i typically cut up a piece of rubber hose and put between cooler and condenser on both ends for protection. so how did the grill insert "pop out"? i was looking it over and didn't see how that came out.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

tpar1220 wrote:i typically cut up a piece of rubber hose and put between cooler and condenser on both ends for protection. so how did the grill insert "pop out"? i was looking it over and didn't see how that came out.
Grill insert??
tpar1220

Post by tpar1220 »

Grill insert??
beemerphile1 wrote:I mounted it in front of the condenser/radiator after popping out the grille insert.
i watched a video on you tube on removing the a grill on a pontiac G6. i assume the vibe would be the same.