New Member looking to buy a vibe.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
dagod1

New Member looking to buy a vibe.

Post by dagod1 »

I am looking for a backup vehicle.

I don't need a monster suv. The vibe looks nice. I was thinking the AWD , maybe a 2009 or 2010.

Does toyota make the tranny? How long will it last? Will I have lots of repairs. Is it going to be a money pit. Does AWD work well.

What mpg will I get with an AWD model?

I would love all your input.

Rob
vibrologist

Re: New Member looking to buy a vibe.

Post by vibrologist »

Hi dagod1:

Vibes are long lasting, economic, and pretty much trouble free all the way to very high milage as long as basic maintenance is done in timely manner. It is all Toyota technology, very much like the Toyota Matrix and Toyota Corolla.

A Vibe would make an excellent extra car for your fleet.

You find lots of detailed information right here: viewtopic.php?f=11&t=40003
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
dagod1

Post by dagod1 »

How about the automatic transmission? Is it made by toyota or pontiac? I recently passed on an 07 with an automatic because it was shifting into reverse a bit rough.
ehoff121

Post by ehoff121 »

The drivetrain is all Toyota. You really have to look for the GM parts- body panels, trim, radio, HVAC and OnStar. Most of everything else is interchangeable with Matrix.
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
trb

Post by trb »

Like ehoff121 said, mechanically, it is almost 100% Toyota so yes, the transmission is Toyota. The AC system and radio are GM parts, along with the body panels and trim. And they should last a good long time. My 03 GT has over 215K and runs as well as my son's 06 with 73K miles. If it is maintained PROPERLY - meaning using Toyota fluids as appropriate - not GM Dexcool or the wrong AT fluid, (uses Type T-IV for 03-08, WS for 09-10) you can expect many miles from one.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

dagod1 wrote:How about the automatic transmission? Is it made by toyota or pontiac? I recently passed on an 07 with an automatic because it was shifting into reverse a bit rough.
I just got a used auto trans for $200 at a salvage yard. Works fine. Kinda funny to me that it was only $200, but the new corolla 5-speed manual is only like $300 max vs. $500 at the cheapest (which is how it is for the Vibe C60 and C59 6- and 5-speed manuals.)

The HVAC, exterior body, supposedly the interior styling, and stereo hookup are all GM. Everything else is Toyota Matrix. There are even some parts with Toyota part numbers that specify that they are for the Toyota Voltz.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit