Just bought a Vibe

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
oldelpaseo

Just bought a Vibe

Post by oldelpaseo »

Hello

Just bought myself a 2004 vibe
orange, standard tranny, 1zzfe engine, 2wd
It will replace my modified white Celica 93 convertible.
my name old_el_paseo is from when i first joined a car community. i had a toyota Paseo and my wife is mexican. so old el Paseo :lol:

why did i change from a celica convertible to a vibe ? well, my celica needs lot's of money (parts are getting rare and expensive), roof needed replacment... also im getting older (34). I really loved the Celica, driving with the top down, 160hp +/- but i want to keep my money for a house, more education...
So im now driving a vibe, i got this from a family member, since it was practically given and had a standard tranny. i bought it (also my wife hated the celica, because it's very noisy, modified suspension, seats are practically on the floor...

i will buy another project car later, i want either an NSX or a Porsche 911 from the 80's. but that's for later after im done with my back to school paycut.

Repairs to be done to the vibe
a/c leak and the rear axle beam. the axle beam sells for 60$ at the local junkyard. just need to wait for a vibe or matrix to end up there. i have very good mechanical abilities so im not worried about the repair.

i will probably do some mods to this car to make it a little more fun. i doubt i can get much power from a 1zz engine. but i will still try to do some small mod's on engine and suspension. but i want to keep it simple. this will be my daily commuter for work.

Oh yeah, i do quality control in a cookie and candy factory.
trb

Re: Just bought a Vibe

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the new Vibe! It should be plenty of fun with the manual transmission, for sure. Do you know if it has been replaced or rebuilt? The manual trans in the 03-04 base Vibes is one of the few weak links in these otherwise very dependable vehicles. But a nice 6 speed from a GT will fit right in it's place if the time comes.

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi oldelpaseo. Welcome.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Love the username! Post some pictures of your "new" Vibe when you get a chance. I'd also be interested in seeing some pictures of the Celica ;).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Post pics soon as you have the hot looking Fusion Orange color. Glad you found us here and visit often ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

oldelpaseo wrote:Oh yeah, i do quality control in a cookie and candy factory.
Good lord. If I had that job, I would definitely turn into a hippo.

Your wife will probably soon realize the Vibe is also noisy and a rough ride. I lowered mine and the ride quality didn't even change noticeably. It does have confident handling compared to other, smoother cars, though.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

oldelpaseo wrote:Oh yeah, i do quality control in a cookie and candy factory.
lannvouivre wrote:Good lord. If I had that job, I would definitely turn into a hippo.
:lol: @ lannvouivre!

I totally missed that part of the original post!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage