New 03 Vibe GT owner with questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
whitealltrac

New 03 Vibe GT owner with questions

Post by whitealltrac »

Hello everyone,
Just bought an 03 Vibe GT with 140K in pretty clean condition and one owner.

The owner gave me a set of keys, one opens the doors and starts the car, the other key only opens the trunk.
My question is, do these cars come with FOB remote? Its hard to believe this GT model has a simple key.
Car is fully loaded with the smoker's package (lol) sunroof, 16" alloys, tweeters on the door not sure how many speakers? Everything except any of the rear wings. Missing is also the rear privacy cover for the hatch not sure it came with one?

Anyways how can I check to see if a remote fob works or if its even equipped with it??

Working on the following Mods:
Stage 1 clutch set with light flywheel (ordered on its way)
Tinted windows (need to do)
New Wheels with tires (looking for a nice 18" set)
Lowering springs (shopping)
Intake Matrix XRS (ordered on its way)
Drilled slotted rotors (need to order)
Replace the radio (possibly a dual din with GPS)
SeattleJeremy

Re: New 03 Vibe GT owner with questions

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Welcome to GenVibe!

Does the car have power windows and door locks? If so then it should also have remote keyless entry. Unlocking the car will also unlock the rear-hatch.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

SeattleJeremy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe!

Does the car have power windows and door locks? If so then it should also have remote keyless entry. Unlocking the car will also unlock the rear-hatch.
Yes, fully loaded. Not sure if GPS was an available option but no GPS on mine. :D
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

So now what? I buy a remote FOD and program it?? Anyone know how to program the FOD?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Programming instructions are posted on this site (research is your friend). Bought a 03 GT 18months ago with 130K miles and don't think anyone has hit lift in 7 years, the actuator and housing was badly gummed up.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

I got the instructions from another source:

1. Start with the key out of the ignition, drivers door is open all others closed and locked, drivers door is unlocked.

2. Perform these steps within 5 seconds. A. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out. B. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

3. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into the ignition(Do NOT Turn) Pull key out.

4. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Close then open the drivers door. B. Close then open the drivers door. C. Insert the key into ignition and leave it in ignition. D. Close the drivers door. E. Turn the ignition to ON (Do NOT Start) then back to OFF. F. Remove the key from the ignition.

5. Within 3 seconds, the power door locks should lock then unlock automatically indicating successful entry into programming mode. Return to step 1 if the locks do not cycle at this point.

6. Perform these steps within 40 seconds. A. Press the lock and unlock buttons on the remtoe simutaneously for 1.5 seconds. B. Immediately after letting go of the lock and unlock buttons, Press the lock button by itself and hold for 2 seconds. Within 3 seconds, the door locks should lock and then unlock once indicating successful programming. If the door locks cycle twice, repeat steps A and B in step 6 as the remote was not accepted. C. Repeat steps A and B in step 6 for each new remote.

7. Open drivers door.

Hope this helps others.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

There's also a way to set the Auto Lock Mode during that Programming process.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! That's a very sharp looking 1st gen Lava GT you've got there! Thanks for posting pictures of it right away ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! That's a very sharp looking 1st gen Lava GT you've got there! Thanks for posting pictures of it right away ;)!
Thanks for the warm welcome!
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome and congrats on the new Vibe GT! Looks really nice and like it has a well maintained paint job. Sounds like you have some good plans for it. Should be easy to add a remote or two from ebay for about $10-12 each.
Salsa Guy wrote:There's also a way to set the Auto Lock Mode during that Programming process.
Really? That would be great if possible, but I thought it would not work since it has a manual transmission and no way to signal the locks to lock. I thought it was the Park and Drive on the automatic gear selector that triggered the auto unlock and lock.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Got a remote from ebay for $12.98 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOYOTA-MATRIX-P ... D100102%26

Followed the instructions that came with the remote (same as above) and BAM I now have remote FOD !!!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. A bit late here but I somehow missed this post when originally sent. Now it was easier to find under the new site formatting. I had to program the remote TWICE and you really have to follow the instructions to a tee OR start over. Nice Vibe & good luck ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Things done so far:
Bought a new Remote FOB and programmed it myself. Boy you have to pretty much learn the sequence and follow it to the "T".
Added a new strut bar (made for the Matrix)
Added a new air intake (made for the Matrix)
Changed the oil / filter
While working on the intake I removed the OCV metal mesh strainer and cleaned the gunk from it. (I now have lift!). This got rid of fault code P1693 I was getting when trying to hit lift and had none :D
Changed the tires to 205/55/16, just got a good deal for 4 of them used but pretty new $95 installed and balanced cant beat that.
Had code P042, I bought an 02 sensor spacer from Ebay think it was $2.50 shipped and got rid of that pest of a code ;)

Car is now running trouble free and no check engine lights.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you've added some fun goodies and also dealt with some issues you were having. Now, post some updated pictures with the new mods for us to enjoy ;)!
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

vibenvy wrote:Glad to hear you've added some fun goodies and also dealt with some issues you were having. Now, post some updated pictures with the new mods for us to enjoy ;)!
Budget Matrix Intake
Cleaned OCV
tad2much

Post by tad2much »

Welcome! Looks like your car projects are coming along well.

Since you've already used a bunch of matrix parts, you might be interested in Matrix lowering springs too. You can follow whitealltrac's experience with them in his thread here. They should be put on soon it seems.
2005 Vibe, base, salsa red.
Power windows/locks.
Eclipse AVN 4403 head unit w/ integrated Tomtom navi.
SirLinux

Post by SirLinux »

Where did you get that air intake and how much was it? Is there much difference in performance over the stock intake?
BTW - the color of your GT looks great.

Regards.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

SirLinux wrote:Where did you get that air intake and how much was it? Is there much difference in performance over the stock intake?
BTW - the color of your GT looks great.

Regards.
Link for ebay $32 shipped!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FOR-03-08-MATRI ... 55&vxp=mtr
And yes, I feel the motor responding much better! I also did not had lift so now that I do well...it feels great!

The intake fits very good the only thing is the little leg that holds the filter in place needs to be pulled a bit by hand so it can align with the hole for the screw. No biggie it bends easy just dont over do it and slowly adjust it until it reaches the hole.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Link for the tower bar $37.99 shipped:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/JDM-FRONT-UPPER ... 5b&vxp=mtr

I am in a budget so it is all working out good....

Here is the link for the interior led bulbs 12 pcs kit for $6.82 shipped
http://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PCS-Pure-Whi ... e5&vxp=mtr
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

You're definitely off to a great start with your Vibe! Thanks for posting some updated pictures. Be sure to keep us posted on any other mods you do ;).
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

New shocks & struts full set on its way $144.00....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/FULL-Set-4-OE-R ... a7&vxp=mtr

Lowering springs on its way too $63.89....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Lowering-S ... 2a&vxp=mtr
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Vinyl wrapped the window controls with carbon fiber 5d
Not sure if I like it but I installed them and they are ok.

First time ever wrapping anything so I give it 8 chocolates... :lol:
Last edited by whitealltrac on Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Replaced every interior bulb to LED and added reverse LED bulbs with cree...........WOW the cree lighting makes reverse just like day light :lol:
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Lowering springs arrived and so did the clutch set. Will replace these soon.....keep tuned!
mikevibegt

Post by mikevibegt »

Nice vibe gt, I am own 03 vibe gt also,I like you vibes color.Just a little heads up you may find out that some of your motor mounts are worn out, a lot of cracks in the rubber, I replaced all of mine when i did clutch, because all but one will be disconnected anyways during clutch change.Enjoy your car, and have fun working on it.Keep us posted on your project, also like interior wrap.Good job :)
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

mikevibegt wrote:Nice vibe gt, I am own 03 vibe gt also,I like you vibes color.Just a little heads up you may find out that some of your motor mounts are worn out, a lot of cracks in the rubber, I replaced all of mine when i did clutch, because all but one will be disconnected anyways during clutch change.Enjoy your car, and have fun working on it.Keep us posted on your project, also like interior wrap.Good job :)
Thanks for the heads up I will look into that too. Maybe I will just go ahead and order the mounts so they are here for the clutch job.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

mikevibegt wrote:Nice vibe gt, I am own 03 vibe gt also,I like you vibes color.Just a little heads up you may find out that some of your motor mounts are worn out, a lot of cracks in the rubber, I replaced all of mine when i did clutch, because all but one will be disconnected anyways during clutch change.Enjoy your car, and have fun working on it.Keep us posted on your project, also like interior wrap.Good job :)

Hey,
Can you tell me which one of the motor mounts you had to replace? Looks like Manual tranny engines have 3 motor mounts?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/141615478449?_t ... EBIDX%3AIT
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

New clutch installed with lightweight flywheel, not sure I like the softness of the clutch pedal now but I guess I will have to get used to it. This weekend gonna lower the car new springs and shocks.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Car has been lowered with 1.5" matrix springs, new struts and shocks. Replaced sway bard end links too.

I am happy with the ride, not too low not too high............just rite!
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Update 6.17.15
Added a double din Android radio with GPS, rear camera, dvd, MP3, wifi and all kinds of goodies, I am very impressed with it.
I need to replace all the factory speakers cuz they suck and install the rear camera yet.
$235.00 free shipping on ebay got it in 5 days from China!!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Double-2DIN-6-2 ... 20?vxp=mtr

I also replaced all rotors with drilled slotted ones and new ceramic brakes.....what a difference!
$107.00 ebay.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/FRONT-REAR-KIT- ... 79&vxp=mtr

Pics soon.
plausipo

Post by plausipo »

Hi,
I am thinking about changing out the stock radio (04 vibe base) with a similar Android 4.4 thingy. Does your new stereo comes with all the electrical/antenna/mechanical connectors to "plug and play" or you need to cut/splice wires and add GM adapters to make it work?
Po
04 Base AT
Change log: Front control arms, windshield, front pads and rotors, spark plugs, PCV valve, belt tensioner and belt, caliper, front pads and rotors
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

plausipo wrote:Hi,
I am thinking about changing out the stock radio (04 vibe base) with a similar Android 4.4 thingy. Does your new stereo comes with all the electrical/antenna/mechanical connectors to "plug and play" or you need to cut/splice wires and add GM adapters to make it work?
Po
Comes with everything you need except the car specific radio harness adapter (you will need the Metra adapter for our car)
Also the GM / Pontiac antenna adaptor as the radio antenna that comes with these units have a smaller hole to plug into it.

Mine came with wifi dongle, rear camera, GPS antenna, radio harness.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Added 18" TRD wheels car looks incredible with them!.

whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Next stop window tints.....stay tuned!
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I always liked those TRD wheels and they look sharp on your Vibe. How does it ride with the springs ? Are they really bouncey ?
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Those TRD wheels look amazing :cool:! I really like the simplicity of them! I just wish they fit our 2nd gen Vibe GTs :cry:.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

cptnsolo77 wrote:I always liked those TRD wheels and they look sharp on your Vibe. How does it ride with the springs ? Are they really bouncey ?
I replaced all the shocks so its holding good. A bit jumpy on roads that are messy highway and good surface roads rides like my IS350 very smooth.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

vibenvy wrote:Those TRD wheels look amazing :cool:! I really like the simplicity of them! I just wish they fit our 2nd gen Vibe GTs :cry:.
Thanks for the compliments. I am sure there are some knock off copies out there with your patterns.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

whitealltrac wrote:Thanks for the compliments. I am sure there are some knock off copies out there with your patterns.
You're very welcome ;)!

I'm sure there are too, but I don't need to spend money on wheels. I'm leaning toward just having the OEM wheels powder coated metallic silver for a little different look without breaking the bank.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Added 18% tint all around.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

PO305 and PO430 codes are up in the air....
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

I like the trd wheels, its too bad they're so heavy
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

thebarber wrote:I like the trd wheels, its too bad they're so heavy
Well this car is by no means a race car and these are lighter than the stock ones it replaced. I am very happy with them. 8-)
treesleavedents

Post by treesleavedents »

What's the offset on those TRD wheels?
2003 Vibe GT. PPE exhaust. Injen CAI. Mfactory LSD. Eibach springs. Corbeau GTS2 seats. Custom stereo, lighting, sound deadening, and upholstery. http://forums.genvibe.com/phpBB3/viewto ... 30&t=44330
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

treesleavedents wrote:What's the offset on those TRD wheels?
Specifications:

18" x 7.5" wheel
42 mm offset
5 on 100 mm bolt circle (P.C.D.)
54mm center bore
Wheel uses conical-seat hexagonal 19mm wrench-flat lugnuts
snap-in TRD center cap (PTR18-21071)
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Got the catalytic converter code will add a spacer the the O2 sensor once we get a break from the cold weather.....
trb

Post by trb »

whitealltrac wrote:Got the catalytic converter code will add a spacer the the O2 sensor once we get a break from the cold weather.....
I first tried the double defouler like is recommended, and got a different code since it could not detect any exhaust, so right now I have just a single one on mine. So far, it has been "good" for about a year now.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

Good to hear.......we got 32" of snow so i dont see working on this anytime soon :cry:
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

159k miles my first repair, replaced the starter which was not that bad to change.
Just remove the fan cover 10mm, unplug battery, remove nut that fastens the starter cable think it was 14mm, unplug the wire plug (this was a PITA!) may have to use needle pliers.....remove two 12mm screws holding the starter itself, replace starter and reverse everything. Starter was $62.00 advance with disount code TRT41

Back on the road and engine is happy with the new starter.
whitealltrac

Post by whitealltrac »

2nd repair 161,000 miles:

I had a water leak for a while along with wind noise that started around 45 mph all coming from the moon roof.

I was just about to drop the headliner when by accident I pushed the glass roof and guess what??? The glass was loose! The glue that holds the glass to the metal frame itself was gone!! I then took the car for a ride and discovered that the moonroof glass would lift around 45 mph creating the wind noise and of course a water leak if it was a rainy day as it lifted a good 1/4"
I went to the local salvage yard and found one like new condition nicely glued. Removed 4 hex screws and replaced my old one all for $10 ! No more leaks and no more rattles or wind noises.

Tip:
Make sure someone directs you when installing the moonroof back as it needs to be hand leveled to match the top roof of the car. Tight one screw at a time to achieve this while being directed by your helper who can tell you if the moonroof needs to go up or down before you tighten the screws.

Bottom line, push up your moonroof while its closed to see if there is are any gaps caused by the glass being unglued and loose.
Hope this helps someone in the future....