New to GenVibe!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sharynlawler

New to GenVibe!

Post by sharynlawler »

Hello fellow Vibe owners!

I own a 2009 silver vibe that I bought new in May 2009. Last year my daughter's 2001 Ford Focus Wagon was having issues and being a "mom" I did not feel safe with her driving it in the hills of North west New Jersey at college so I traded my vibe for the focus. Fast forward a year and she has my baby in southern FLA now and I just totalled her focus! I say totalled, but actually it was just an insurance total loss situation. The car hit a low wooden guard rail of sorts and a big snow bank while sliding on slushy slippery icey mush!! Ruined the front end, control arm and U joint.... Anyways, I am going to buy a used car and eventually get my Vibe back however I am looking at a second Vibe or a Subaru Impreza. I like the AWD aspect after this crazy winter in RI. I have one major pet peeve about the 2009 Vibe and that is the blind spot. It is awful! I really had problems with that and I don't know if it is the car in general or the funky little side/rear panel windows of the 2009. My friends who drive the matrix never complain about this. I love all the cool things people have done to their Vibes. I would like to try some of them out!
vibenvy

Re: New to GenVibe!

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Sharyn! Great call on the color of your current Vibe (mine's the silver one in my signature)! As far as the blind spot issue goes, I highly suggest getting some of those little 2" round stick-on blind spot mirrors to stick to the side mirrors. They help tremendously. We have them on both our Vibes and they definitely come in handy. Keep us posted on whether or not you end up with a second Vibe and if you have a chance, post some pictures of your current Vibe. We love pictures around here ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome Sharyn.
I'll have to try Vibeny's suggestion myself. The blind spot doesn't trouble me too much, but I take extra caution backing out of parking lots.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi Sharyn Welcome.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. I was also concerned about the blind spots years ago when I first bought my 2009 Vibe Gt, but now that it's been six years I don't even notice it anymore. Don't let it bother yo8u so much and get another one while you can!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe! Blind spots can be a bit of a thing on these cars, but I have my mirrors adjusted right and, as mentioned, the blind spot mirrors. This is my first and only car and the blind spots aren't a hindrance. Though reverse back-ins and parallel parking are tough as I don' know quite where the rear of my car is. Then again I'm not well practiced in backing up to a car, so I'm sure I'll get it with time. Maybe try a first gen (03-08) Vibe and see how that blind spot compares.

As for AWD, winter tires are a greater help than the extra drive wheels. But you said New Jersey so a good set of all-seasons may be enough (tires will make or break a car in winter). So up to you.

Keep us updated! We'd love to see another multi-Vibe family.
sharynlawler

Post by sharynlawler »

Thanks for the welcome! And YES, I did get another Vibe just last week! I love it...maybe more than my 2009. I got a dark blue 2004 with a sunroof and only 90K miles. Feels and drives very nice...felt so comfortable after driving my husband's car for the past few weeks. Glad to be back in a Vibe! The blind spot issue does not seem the same in this version as it did in the 2009. When we were looking at our paperwork after getting home with the new car we realized it has an aftermarket remote starter. It was installed by the original owner soon after purchase. I don't think the other owner and definately NOT the dealer we purchased from even knew it was there. Luckily my son drives a Lexus G350 and knew how to use the fob to start the Vibe remotely. I am definately enjoying my VIbe!! :D
I have a photo to share but where is the option to attach a photo?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Congratulations on getting a second Vibe! I'm seeing the attachment stuff directly under the reply box as I'm typing this, so it should be there for you too. I look forward to seeing the picture!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage