Got my Vibe!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
MrManager

Got my Vibe!

Post by MrManager »

Well after looking around I ended back up where I started. I picked up my 09 GT 5 speed vibe last night.

It's going to take a little while getting used to the view forwards and backwards, but my god it's like night and day compared to my old jimmy. The steering, how quiet it is in the interior, even in 5th gear it still has more pep than the Jimmy.

I really really do not want to modify this, and just drive it. But I'll try not to get crazy. Ideas for it are heated seats, shark fin antenna, getting rid of that dealer sticker. I also thought about putting sound deadner in it, but it's already so quiet!

Anyway here are a couple pics to hold you over. It snowed last night

2009 Vibe GT
ehoff121

Re: Got my Vibe!

Post by ehoff121 »

Congrats!
2005 Pontiac Vibe AWD - Platinum
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Looks primo! The former owner must have taken really good care of it. It's definitely a great ride. Lucky find.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
trb

Post by trb »

Congrats! Looks really nice. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? That tailpipe does not look stock.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

Yeah I was surprised, the carfax showed regular maintenance all throughout it's life so far.

Well after driving today it seems like I'll need new front door speakers. I shouldn't be surprised, I Think i replaced the door speakers for every vehicle I've owned.

Also once it gets closer to summer I'll get one of the clamp on roof racks.

I was wondering as well, With these engines what is a good cruising RPM? It feels like it's good to shift at 3k. but for cruising I don't know what I should hover around.
2009 Vibe GT
triz

Post by triz »

That looks really good. Congrats!
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Well after driving today it seems like I'll need new front door speakers. I shouldn't be surprised, I Think i replaced the door speakers for every vehicle I've owned.
Add "Peel & Seal" as sound deadener to the door skins. It's easy enough and you will be there anyway.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

trb wrote:Congrats! Looks really nice. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? That tailpipe does not look stock.

No I don't believe it is an aftermarket exhaust, it's fairly quiet.
2009 Vibe GT
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi Welcome. Very nice Vibe.
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

Welcome aboard!! That's a nice GT there, it looks familiar for some reason, was it on ebay by chance?

JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

csxt8058 wrote:Welcome aboard!! That's a nice GT there, it looks familiar for some reason, was it on ebay by chance?

JR
No it was not, it was listed on carguru as well as a few other car sale sites
2009 Vibe GT
csxt8058

Post by csxt8058 »

MrManager wrote:
csxt8058 wrote:Welcome aboard!! That's a nice GT there, it looks familiar for some reason, was it on ebay by chance?

JR
No it was not, it was listed on carguru as well as a few other car sale sites
Ah ok, I remember seeing it for sale with other Vibes somewhere, I couldn't recall for sure. It must've been Cargurus where I saw it.

JR

2010 Ultra White AWD-Railfan Customized...on to a new owner in 2015
2008 two tone Salsa base model..current railfan rig
trb

Post by trb »

MrManager wrote:
trb wrote:Congrats! Looks really nice. Does it have an aftermarket exhaust? That tailpipe does not look stock.

No I don't believe it is an aftermarket exhaust, it's fairly quiet.
Well, maybe the prior owner had one and the dealer replaced the muffler with a stock style then. My prior 10 GT had a ricer exhaust and that's what the dealer did, but they didn't have a chrome tip for it. I got a stock chrome tip from Carrie, vibenvy, on here.

This is the stock chrome tip. It is a slight oval shape with an angled edge:

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

Ooh I might get that, I prefer more subtle /cleaner things.
2009 Vibe GT
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe MrManager :D VERY nice find there and a rare one to boot! Update your profile showing us where you're from. Cureent mileage? How many prior owners? where was it originally sold? Hard to tell BUT with snow you must be somewhere up here with several of us where it is COLD :x A couple things. As a two Vibe GT family owner (Me .. AK , Dad the red one & 5-speed manual, and son, the blue one 5-speed automatic) you have the BETTER of the two choices 8-) Normal shifts will be around 2500-3000, but if really conservative and wanting maximum MPG's then shift around 2000 RPM. By the time you hit 5th gear you could be going as slow as 35mph, from there you can punch it and the 2.4L engine will surprisingly speed you up rather quickly. Out of habit I always find myself feeling for a sixth or seventh gear because you're nowhere near top cruising speed yet and the car just feels like it needs another shift. These are VERY fun to drive and will deliver better MPG's than the automatics.

Onto the door speakers .... yeah, they're junk and someday I'll update mine but at just over 18k miles I really don't want to tear it apart just yet. Juniors Vibe (56 k miles) get's the knife taken to it first, then if/when successful ... mine gets is! When you do get around to updating the speakers, the souynd deadening is a MUST! Especially for our Gt's which have the larger 18" low profile tires. Road noiuse could be very annoying at times. Just crank up the radio :lol:

Heated seats ??? Definitely check out my post on that topic ........................ viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37760&p=426489&hil ... ts#p426489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not many mod kits at all out there. You simply have to be creative, have access to a ton of equipment (metal shop, lathes, welders, lifts, etc.) and the TIME & desire to make something unique to your ride.

Enought of that. Welcome and enjoy the ride :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! That's a gorgeous Carbon Grey GT you've got there! Thanks for posting a picture right away! That is definitely not the OEM exhaust tip. It has to have at least an aftermarket tip, if not a muffler and / or full catback exhaust. If you post some more pictures of the tip and the underside showing the muffler, we'll be able to help you figure out exactly what it has.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
MrManager

Post by MrManager »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe MrManager :D VERY nice find there and a rare one to boot! Update your profile showing us where you're from. Cureent mileage? How many prior owners? where was it originally sold? Hard to tell BUT with snow you must be somewhere up here with several of us where it is COLD :x A couple things. As a two Vibe GT family owner (Me .. AK , Dad the red one & 5-speed manual, and son, the blue one 5-speed automatic) you have the BETTER of the two choices 8-) Normal shifts will be around 2500-3000, but if really conservative and wanting maximum MPG's then shift around 2000 RPM. By the time you hit 5th gear you could be going as slow as 35mph, from there you can punch it and the 2.4L engine will surprisingly speed you up rather quickly. Out of habit I always find myself feeling for a sixth or seventh gear because you're nowhere near top cruising speed yet and the car just feels like it needs another shift. These are VERY fun to drive and will deliver better MPG's than the automatics.

Onto the door speakers .... yeah, they're junk and someday I'll update mine but at just over 18k miles I really don't want to tear it apart just yet. Juniors Vibe (56 k miles) get's the knife taken to it first, then if/when successful ... mine gets is! When you do get around to updating the speakers, the souynd deadening is a MUST! Especially for our Gt's which have the larger 18" low profile tires. Road noiuse could be very annoying at times. Just crank up the radio :lol:

Enought of that. Welcome and enjoy the ride :D
I'm a Jersey guy and we are currently getting even more snow. Driving it back form work though it did very well, I already love this car.
I am now the 3rd owner, I believe it was a PA car it's whole life, and now it has about 88,000 miles.
Thanks that's what I've been figuring with the shifting. I have an ultra gauge that I've used on my other vehicles, and I'm going to transfer it to this and really try to optimize it. I managed to get 20-21 City out of my S10 Pickup, and about the same out of my 99 Firebird Formula. I'm making a conservative goal of 22-23 with this Vibe.

I thought I was going crazy with my speaker, If it was out completely that would be one thing. But occasionally it'll play the music completely fine, no crackling, and other times there will be no sound at all.

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe! That's a gorgeous Carbon Grey GT you've got there! Thanks for posting a picture right away! That is definitely not the OEM exhaust tip. It has to have at least an aftermarket tip, if not a muffler and / or full catback exhaust. If you post some more pictures of the tip and the underside showing the muffler, we'll be able to help you figure out exactly what it has.
Will do! though that might have to wait a week, we're getting belted with more snow
2009 Vibe GT
richz03

Post by richz03 »

WOW.... I just picked up a Carbon Gray 09 GT with a Auto. Looks like the twin to yours...... I found this post looking for ideas for heated seats too. Anybody here used the aftermarket kits?
Rich
trb

Post by trb »

richz03 wrote:WOW.... I just picked up a Carbon Gray 09 GT with a Auto. Looks like the twin to yours...... I found this post looking for ideas for heated seats too. Anybody here used the aftermarket kits?
Tim, tpollauf on here, put heated seats in his son's 09 using one of the aftermarket kits. Here is his thread:

viewtopic.php?f=29&t=37760&p=426489&hil ... ts#p426489" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
richz03

Post by richz03 »

That is a awesome link!...... I'll probably wait until November to buy and install it knowing me.... ;)
Rich
richz03

Post by richz03 »

Well, as I predicted I am beginning to look into doing the seats and I think I am going with the Rostra from Summit Racing near me:

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/rpc-250-1871
Rich
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

richz03 wrote:Well, as I predicted I am beginning to look into doing the seats and I think I am going with the Rostra from Summit Racing near me
Awesome :P Take lots of pics and let us know how things turn out! You won't regret this upgrade to your Vibe.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"