Is rust a problem?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
pwyu1969

Is rust a problem?

Post by pwyu1969 »

Hi all, I'm in MI and planning on buying a 2004 vibe that has been driven up here mostly. I was wondering if Vibes tend to have body rust problems in the same areas. Thanks,
Paul
sideshowalan

Re: Is rust a problem?

Post by sideshowalan »

Depends on how well it was taken care of. You just have to look at each one and make that determination.
If it's garage kept and the owner takes the time to clean off the road salt, rust is not an issue.
My 2003 went through 10 Indiana winters before I sold it and had no rust issues.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I don't remember ever having seen a Vibe with any major body rust around here (Chicagoland). My parents and I drove J-Bodies (Pontiac Sunbird, Pontiac Sunfire and Chevy Cavalier) before we had the Vibes and it's the exact opposite. It's rare to see one that's not rusted and usually the rust is pretty major.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
GTwannabe

Post by GTwannabe »

I've had rust on the inside. But that was due to door leaks from a crash.

Only outside rust I've had is the inner cv joint, and drum brakes.
Kendrick Lamar agrees... Keep your Vibe alive and well...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GF8aaTu2kg0
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

Paul, while I do agree that rust on first generation Vibes is not normal, the fact that they have the body cladding is something you should be concerned about in the northern climates where road salt is used. The cladding obviously is a great way for road debris and chemicals and water to hide behind. It is possible that there is rust behind the cladding but none of us owners and former owners can see it behind he plastic. Just something to think about.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I agree, Caretaker. I think about that a bit because the cladding doesn't wrap all the door inside, so dirt and water actually can get in to where metal is. Plus, the times I have removed the cladding revealed tons of dirt.

I live in TX, personally, so the only salt I use is for food.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Interesting GM decided to use body cladding while Toyota did not
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

If the Vibe in question hasn't had an accident, it should be good. The lower cladding keeps the paint that covers the metal from getting chipped by rocks or road debris, so even if dirt and salt gets in there, it shouldn't be able to find bare metal to oxidize.

It's is very uncommon to see even the worst kept Vibe's with rusty panels. I live in a "Salt them roads crazy" state and you don't find older rusty Vibes. There are a lot of Vibes here. They make great Winter cars when you install a good set snow tires on them.

To be on the safe side, look around the inside of the open doors, around the open hood, rear hatch and the opening rear window. Make sure any rust in those areas gets treated and painted so it doesn't spread.

I've had mine since '08 and haven't seen any rust. Some engine bay bolts are prone to rust here and there, but that shouldn't be a problem. If the Vibe has steel wheels, they will rust. Clean em, sand them off well, prime them with rusty metal Rust-Oleum, and then cover them with gloss or semi gloss Rust-Oleum and they should be good for years. The factory paint thickness on those steelies was micronic. My son's steelies were completely rusty, and I refurbished them on a couple of warm dry days. Easy stuff to do, and they never rusted again, even doing snow tire duty for 6 years and getting minimal care.

Take some pictures of this Vibe when you get a chance.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

vibolista wrote:If the Vibe in question hasn't had an accident, it should be good. The lower cladding keeps the paint that covers the metal from getting chipped by rocks or road debris, so even if dirt and salt gets in there, it shouldn't be able to find bare metal to oxidize.

It's is very uncommon to see even the worst kept Vibe's with rusty panels. I live in a "Salt them roads crazy" state and you don't find older rusty Vibes. There are a lot of Vibes here. They make great Winter cars when you install a good set snow tires on them.

To be on the safe side, look around the inside of the open doors, around the open hood, rear hatch and the opening rear window. Make sure any rust in those areas gets treated and painted so it doesn't spread.

I've had mine since '08 and haven't seen any rust. Some engine bay bolts are prone to rust here and there, but that shouldn't be a problem. If the Vibe has steel wheels, they will rust. Clean em, sand them off well, prime them with rusty metal Rust-Oleum, and then cover them with gloss or semi gloss Rust-Oleum and they should be good for years. The factory paint thickness on those steelies was micronic. My son's steelies were completely rusty, and I refurbished them on a couple of warm dry days. Easy stuff to do, and they never rusted again, even doing snow tire duty for 6 years and getting minimal care.

Take some pictures of this Vibe when you get a chance.

You're Vibe is only 6 or 7 years old, though :)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Interesting GM decided to use body cladding while Toyota did not
Pontiac thought grey cladding was the bomb.

See: Aztek, Montana.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Interesting GM decided to use body cladding while Toyota did not
Pontiac thought grey cladding was the bomb.

See: Aztek, Montana.[/quote

That they did, along with Wide Track