Vibes better mileage than best commuter cars.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
bountybuddy

Vibes better mileage than best commuter cars.

Post by bountybuddy »

Our 2003 and 2004 base vibes get better mileage than half of the top ten best 2015 commuter cars. It is amazing that cars this old get better mileage than many of the new cars being built today. I love my vibes. Drive safe my friends.
vibenvy

Re: Vibes better mileage than best commuter cars.

Post by vibenvy »

That's awesome! My mom and I have been very pleased with the gas mileage we get with our 2009 Vibe GTs, even with the 2.4L engine our numbers are very respectable IMO.

Speaking of new cars, for the heck of it I was searching through new cars on cars.com the other day. There wasn't a single new car that I absolutely loved as far as a good combination of looks, performance, interior room, etc. I am definitely convinced that I will be holding on to my Vibe as long as possible. God forbid something happens to it, it will msot definitely be replaced with another Vibe (most likely 2nd gen GT).
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Bountybuddy, that's good news to my ears as well. Could you provide the source of that statistic? Who put these top 10 together?
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
bountybuddy

Post by bountybuddy »

I read the article on Yahoo news. I'm sorry I forgot who did the article. I have memory problems.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thanks, bountybuddy.
Maybe it is this list: https://autos.yahoo.com/news/the-best-c ... ZGQUQwM18x" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Obviously this list is populated by "best=expensive" cars. In other words, it is a crate of oranges compared to our basket of apples.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I agree. I track my mileage every tank. I've put 7500 km on my base O4 since getting it in August, and my average consumption is 7.21l/100km (33MPG US gallon). Best was 6.15l/100km (38MPG US gallon). Mileage has dropped off for the winter with winter blend gas and snow tires (as expected). I gave up an automatic TDI Jetta for the Vibe, and the Vibe is close to the mileage with none of the constant maintenance that VW requires. The only thing I've done in six months is check the oil.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Can you say ... EMISSIONS !!! YEP that is likely the main reason that any older car gets better mileage than newer ones. Has always been the case!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

lol, the VIbe is not a "new" car. It's OBD2. I'm used to driving stuff from the 60s, 70s, and 80s. My "old" stuff doesn't get half the mileage of the "old" Vibe... of course, all my old stuff has a V8!
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

My '08 manual Vibe continues to be a gas mileage rock star. In Summer, the thing can still get 36 mpg on a regular basis. If I'm really light on the throttle it will hit 40 mpg when I drive our rural back roads. That's with no excess gear in the car, no passengers most of the time and tires inflated to 40 psi front and 38 rear.

Winter is a little different animal. Our last cold spell kept daytime high temperatures in the single numbers above zero and the early morning lows in the 2 to 6 degree range below zero and we've had a bit of snow to drive in lately. I also have Blizzak (38 psi front and 36 psi rear) snow tires on the car, but the last fill came out 32.7 mpg. That's the lowest MPG I've recorded with this car. The tank before that was 34.8 mpg, but temperatures were not quite as cold, mostly hitting the teens to lower 20s during the day.

I've always changed my own oil and have used only Mobil 1. I don't leave that oil in there any more than 6k miles at a time. That little 1.8L engine is the basis for the third generation Prius modified Atkinson cycle, and of course uses no accessory belts. I think it's the first engine designed like that.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires