Totaled 2003 Vibe - Questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
romeroom

Totaled 2003 Vibe - Questions

Post by romeroom »

Today one of my children rear ended another car and pretty much destroyed the front end. It is not drivable. I belive there is frame damage. Car has around 180k miles.

I live in Grand Rapids Michigan. Rest of car is in good shape.

Rather than just junk the car right away, I would like some suggestions from the forum. This is my first time dealing with this.
2003 AWD Vibe, 153K miles.
lannvouivre

Re: Totaled 2003 Vibe - Questions

Post by lannvouivre »

Your insurance will declare it a total loss, probably. I don't think you'll really have a choice, I'm sorry to say, but you could use the money to purchase another Vibe (or something else if you want a change of pace). Bodywork is very expensive even without straightening the frame. For example, painting a single panel can cost $4-500. That's just for one fender or the hood, just the paint, not even replacing the panel or also pulling a dent.

Without seeing the damage, I can kind of guesstimate some costs. If the engine is ruined, it's $1100+ used (I haven't looked it up in a while; it will likely be more than the 2WD since it's rarer and there are minor block differences-external). The transmission might be $200-600 since it's the AWD version. I actually see a couple "near" me that are $200 listed on car-part.com but I suspect they aren't actually from AWD or 4WD vehicles.

I'm not trying to be a Debbie-Downer, it's just very expensive to make these repairs and unless there's considerable sentimental value in the vehicle, it won't be worth it for you financially.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
romeroom

Post by romeroom »

I have PLPD insurance. I don't thin the insurance company will have much to do with it other than raise my rates.
2003 AWD Vibe, 153K miles.
joatmon

Post by joatmon »

Most importantly, hope no one was injured in the accident.

Unfortunately, an 11 or 12 year old discontinued brand of car with 180K miles doesn't rate as much resale value. It would probably be worth checking on the user car prices for a similar one to see what it might be worth if it wasn't damaged. Also have a body shop give you an estimate for them to repair the car so you can get a feeling for what someone who does that stuff for a living thinks it will take to repair it. Especially if you can get a free estimate.

You could repair the car. Compare that to what estimates you come up with to repair the car. If it will cost $2K to end up with a car worth $4K, it might be worth it, but if it costs $4K to get the car to be worth $3K, then it's not. Can save a lot of money if you can do the work yourself, but that won't help with the cost of parts.

if the frame is bent, it could be bent in a way that even when straightened the effectiveness of the crumple zone is compromised, meaning that the next time it rear ends something the damage to the car and occupants could be much worse. (I have two children, now adults, I am familiar with the concept of repeated accidents by children). So a possible tradeoff in evaluating the repair option is how much cost savings is worth increased safety risk to your kids. Haven't seen the car, perhaps it would still be as safe as before.

If you don't repair the car, you could try to part it out. I've never parted out a car, but some genvibers have, might be worth reaching out to one of them to find out what's involved, how much money they ended up getting out it and how much hassle it was. I'd think this option depends a lot on how well you can disassemble the car, and if you can deal with a disassembled junk car hanging around the property for an extended period of time.

A third option would be to buy another AWD vibe that has problems, and use parts from the wrecked one to fix the new one, and sell to the junkyard whatever is left over after you make one good vibe out of two bad ones. That's what I did when one of my children totaled a Ford Ranger by t-boning an SUV.

If you decide it's just not worth the hassle and you'll write off the loss by selling the car to a junkyard, then it might be good to still do a token part out, give the folks here a chance to buy the easy to remove parts. Someone will always want to buy the center armrest top from an 03/04.

Good luck, sorry to hear about the demise of the car, and hope everyone is ok
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Pictures please if possible. Based on your story TWO cars were involved. What was the other car? A double whammy for you insurance company :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Young lady rear ended my son's 2007 Odyssey a couple months ago - I am sure she was looking down at her cell phone at the time as she never even braked. No injuries but both vehicles were totaled. Son's Odyssey only had 45,000 miles. I was in the front passenger seat - officer asked if I was injured and I said no. He said I would be sore the next morning. I told him I was sore every morning. Cell phones with email, text etc. are a major factor in car crashes.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Reysie

Post by Reysie »

Sorry to hear about the accident :( , the good news is nobody is hurt. There's always other Vibes to pick-up.Keep me inform if your planning on dismantle ling the vibe and selling parts from it. You'll get more then selling it to a salvage yard. I have 2003 Vibe with 338,+ miles and keeps on ticking, second owner so I know how hard it is to let go. Hope the best on your decision.