Airbag Recall Question

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
woodworker

Airbag Recall Question

Post by woodworker »

First, just want to say how much I like this site. It was very helpful in my decision to buy a Vibe.

Does anyone know where I can find an airbag set or just the inflator that's NOT made by Takata? I think their recall is a little "iffy." Takata doesn't know what caused the problem, yet they're offering a fix (??). Also, the government issued a warning about BOTH the driver's and passenger's sides, but the recall is only for the passenger side. When I went to the dealer to have the fix done, (which they did do), they told me that a NEW recall for the airbag came in while I was there, but it says "Remedy Not Yet Available." I've included the exact wording below from the paper they gave me for the fix they did, as well as the one that came in that day. That's been a month now, and this week I called the Pontiac hotline who said there's no recall by that number.

I don't want to leave my family at risk while the government and Takata try to figure this thing out. Losing an eye, or a parent bleeding to death in front of their children is something I don't want my family to deal with, if it's preventable.

The parts stores say they don't carry airbags. The dealer wants $1000 FOR EACH SIDE, which I can't afford. The only thing I've found on the internet is used airbags, which seem like a reasonable choice if I can find any that aren't Takata. When I call the used parts places they say they don't know who makes them. One guy used a magnifying glass to find a name, but I can't find anything that shows this is actually an airbag manufacturer - it could just be a company who made a PART for the airbag, not the entire airbag.(the name was Dancel Hirscstellar). I would really like to get the Takatas out of my car and be done with it. Does anyone have any insight on how to determine who the manufacturer is, or where to buy non-Takatas for less than $1000 each?

The paper my dealer gave me says this:

14735 GM Recall Completed 9100836 Replace Front Passenger Air Bag Inflator Module (This is the one they did while
I was there)

14525 Product Safety Recall Front Passenger Airbag Module Incomplete - Remedy not yet available. 24 NO REMEMDY YET
beemerphile1

Re: Airbag Recall Question

Post by beemerphile1 »

I understand your concern about your family and yourself. Keep in mind though that the likelyhood of your airbag ever deploying is miniscule and you having a defective one is even more miniscule.

Generations and generations of people have traveled many millions of miles before airbags were ever invented. One option would be to disconnect the airbags. I wish you success in finding piece of mind and a resolution of this issue.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
gtv237

Post by gtv237 »

A lot of it is media hype. You don't hear about the millions of Takata air bags that save people's lives. Hundreds of Takata bags go off every single day. There is only 4 deaths related to the defects. Compare that number to the amount of people who die every year by lighting strikes(6000) or by falling coconuts (150).
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

from what i've found this recall is to replace the entire passenger front module; inflator, bag and frame. the whole shebang.

this is a regional recall, areas w high humidity can cause corrosion in the assembly, the corrosion can weaken the frame. in the act of inflation the corrosion may cause the module to inflate erratically.

it is also stated that the vehicle must not be driven until the recall is completed.
if the vehicle MUST be driven then the front passenger seat must not be occupied w a passenger.

there is no remedy yet because the parts are still unavailable.

and what is up with so many noobs w air-bag-this air-bag-that posts as of late?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

bluneon wrote:from what i've found this recall is to replace the entire passenger front module; inflator, bag and frame. the whole shebang.
All they did for our 2003 was install a new inflator assembly into the 12-year old everything else.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

It is not just humid states anymore:

http://autoweek.com/article/car-news/al ... handy-list" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still waiting for my 04 to be recalled...
bluneon

Post by bluneon »

ColonelPanic wrote:All they did for our 2003 was install a new inflator assembly into the 12-year old everything else.
the previous recall number:
14735 GM Recall Replace Front Passenger Air Bag Inflator Module
this was phase 1, which is exactly what dealerships are doing right now.

the new recall number:
14525 Product Safety Recall Front Passenger Airbag Module Incomplete - Remedy not yet available. 24 NO REMEDY YET
has yet to be finalized and parts made available.