Good replacement

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
dmperkins74

Good replacement

Post by dmperkins74 »

Hi everyone,

My Vibe is sadly on it's last legs and I"m going to have to get a new vehicle soon. What would you consider as a good replacement? Currently, I'm looking at the Mazda 3, but the trunk space is small and there's no roof rack option, and the Subaru CrossTreck, but it's kind of pricy. Any inputs appreciated, thanks,

Dan P.
Raven

Re: Good replacement

Post by Raven »

A Subaru Impreza 5 door. The problem is the 2015 is available in 4 door only. The 5 doors are so desirable it's highly unlikely you'll find a new 2014.
We considered a Crosstrek when we bought our 2012 Outback. When we drove one we quickly decided on the Outback.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Dan! This may be a silly question, but have you considered getting another Vibe?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

A Vibe would be a natural replacement for a Vibe. But have you considered the '15 Kia Soul? I am reading it is much refined over it's previous generation. Nissan has models to consider: the Versa hatchback and the Rogue.

But here is the question: which was your most important aspect of the Vibe?

Consider posting your query on http://www.truedelta.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

dmperkins74 wrote:Hi everyone,

My Vibe is sadly on it's last legs and I"m going to have to get a new vehicle soon. What would you consider as a good replacement? Currently, I'm looking at the Mazda 3, but the trunk space is small and there's no roof rack option, and the Subaru CrossTreck, but it's kind of pricy. Any inputs appreciated, thanks,

Dan P.

Hi: What year is your Vibe, and what is wrong with it, if you don't mind me asking?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

vibrologist wrote:A Vibe would be a natural replacement for a Vibe. But have you considered the '15 Kia Soul? I am reading it is much refined over it's previous generation. Nissan has models to consider: the Versa hatchback and the Rogue.

Consider posting your query on http://www.truedelta.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Those 2 Nissan models are decent, probably in manual only.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Nasmfell wrote:
vibrologist wrote:A Vibe would be a natural replacement for a Vibe. But have you considered the '15 Kia Soul? I am reading it is much refined over it's previous generation. Nissan has models to consider: the Versa hatchback and the Rogue.

Those 2 Nissan models are decent, probably in manual only.
It seems Nissan still having issues with the CVT.
trb

Post by trb »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Dan! This may be a silly question, but have you considered getting another Vibe?
Or even a Toyota Matrix? You can find a Vibe up to the 2010 year model and a Matrix up to 2014. The 09-14 both have a factory accessory roof rack available (It is for the Matrix but fits both) for about $250 online.

Good luck on your new car search!
Last edited by trb on Sat Nov 29, 2014 9:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

As others mentioned .... Just what is wrong with your Vibe (year, mileage, location) to where it will need replaced? Also how long have you owned it? I too would say a Vibe for a Vibe. More info please.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sat73

Post by sat73 »

My Wife has a 2014 Kia Soul. Parked next to our Vibe, it looks like a friggin mini van!

It won't haul near the amount of stuff the Vibe will, and its not because of the Soul's stubbiness, its more because the load floor is NOT flat with the back seat folded.

Mileage with the Soul has been almost identical to the Vibe.

Comfort goes to the Soul because it has tilt AND telescoping wheel.

Then there's the cheap glass Kia uses........

I dunno, we don't regret buying the Soul, but, the new car thrill wore off quickly with it.
John

2005 Vibe 182K miles and climbing
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

over the weekend, i rode in a nissan rogue that my brother has as a long-term rental. holy hell, is it loud! like 2x the loudness of my vibe, which is a pretty darn noisy car. engine noise is off the charts-louder than a 4cyl diesel.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

I dunno, the Mazda3 is pretty nice...and do you even ever use the roof rack? Maybe you could just get a hitch and hitch-mounted luggage rack. Roof racks are not an aerodynamic storage space.

I know my luggage rack has never been used for anything but as a handhold while detailing. I told my mom I intend to do away with it and she was super-upset because "what if I need it someday"...it was awesome :lol: she remained offended when I told her I could just put it back on anytime. 8-)
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
trb

Post by trb »

Zimm wrote:over the weekend, i rode in a nissan rogue that my brother has as a long-term rental. holy hell, is it loud! like 2x the loudness of my vibe, which is a pretty darn noisy car. engine noise is off the charts-louder than a 4cyl diesel.
Which one, the new body style or the old body style sold as a "Rogue Select"? We bought my daughter a 2014 new body style Rogue SV and it is a very nice, quiet, great riding vehicle that rivals my wife's Equinox LTZ that stickered about $8K more. I've only driven it briefly, maybe 5 miles total, but have ridden in it a good bit more. I haven't punched it, so I'm not sure how loud it is under full throttle, but that does not matter to my daughter as she doesn't drive it hard.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Zimm wrote:over the weekend, i rode in a nissan rogue that my brother has as a long-term rental. holy hell, is it loud! like 2x the loudness of my vibe, which is a pretty darn noisy car. engine noise is off the charts-louder than a 4cyl diesel.
I've ridden in a first generation Rogue but it was not loud, though it was an SL trim (highest trim level).
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

trb wrote:
Which one, the new body style or the old body style sold as a "Rogue Select"? We bought my daughter a 2014 new body style Rogue SV and it is a very nice, quiet, great riding vehicle that rivals my wife's Equinox LTZ that stickered about $8K more. I've only driven it briefly, maybe 5 miles total, but have ridden in it a good bit more. I haven't punched it, so I'm not sure how loud it is under full throttle, but that does not matter to my daughter as she doesn't drive it hard.

the car was a rental, but had less than 3,000 miles on the clock, so i'd expect it was very new and probably the base model or whatever is the cheapest version available.

one thing that came to mind that might make our experiences different-i was in the rogue on a 40 degree day, so like any vehicle, its bound to be noisier cold than in a warm place like houston. that being said, the level of noise was unprecedented for me in a "new" or even just "modern" car. and while the noise level did go down a bit once properly warmed up, it was still super loud.
if i'm going to have that kind of underhood noise, i want it to be from an old muscle car.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
dmperkins74

Post by dmperkins74 »

Thanks for all the tips. I'm hoping to keep my vibe on the road as long as I can, just planning ahead. There's nothing specifically wrong with it (knock on wood) at the moment, it's just that it's a 2006 with 245K miles on it from driving it up and down the appalachian trail (well, to and from parts of the trail, not on the trail of course!) and to/from work each day. I haven't looked at kia yet, but will take a gander at them and some of the other suggestions. I don't see getting another car. I like new cars and warranties because I know nothing about them and want them to be reliable from the get-go. Maybe I'm a sucker :)

Thanks again for the insights.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

I was impressed with the 2015 Honda Fit that I saw when my son recently bought a new Odyssey after their 2007 was totaled when a driver failed to stop and smashed into the rear of his 2007. I was in the front passenger seat and didn't think the collision was that bad but I guess the vehicle absorbed most of the energy - thus the extensive damage a lot of which was not apparent visually. My '09 Vibe only has 33,000 miles so I am in no need of a replacement - but always like to have an option in mind. I kind of lean toward a Subaru Forrester or a Rav4 but they are about $5,000 more than the Fit.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

One other observation - if a 2015 was available today I don't think I would consider it in the running at anywhere near the MSRP prices of the 2009's.
I bought my 2009 MSRP 19,480 in early Jan. 2009 at a price I couldn't refuse. Thanks to rebates, dealer discounts, behind the scenes GM incentive and GM Card points It was $13,154 out the door - no trade. Sold my 2003 with 33,000 miles privately for $9,500.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
jake75

Post by jake75 »

And another observation. I don't think you are a "sucker" for buying a new car. All things considered I think that most of the time buying new, all things considered, is a better economic decision. New cars depreciate once you drive them off the lot, but the same is true with used cars. Dealers are lucky to make $500 on a new car, they aim to make $2,000 or more on a used car. A good deal might be had buying used from a private party who prices the car at not much more than dealer trade-in, but those are hard to find.
Mark

Post by Mark »

We got a 2012 Honda CR-V a couple years ago, it's really only slightly bigger than the Vibe. It's kind of surprising how close they are when you see them parked side by side. I would have gone with the Rav4 if it was my choice, but it was her car and she liked the color of the CR-V better. But the Rav4 is also very slightly larger than the Vibe, and both are obviously more expensive than a new Vibe. But milk and eggs cost more than they did a few years ago too.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Mark wrote:We got a 2012 Honda CR-V a couple years ago, it's really only slightly bigger than the Vibe. It's kind of surprising how close they are when you see them parked side by side. I would have gone with the Rav4 if it was my choice, but it was her car and she liked the color of the CR-V better. But the Rav4 is also very slightly larger than the Vibe, and both are obviously more expensive than a new Vibe. But milk and eggs cost more than they did a few years ago too.
In today's market - in my humble opinion the Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4, Subaru Forrester and Mazda CX5 are all good values at about $24,000 compared to a comparable 2009/2010 Vibe or even a 2014 Matrix. A new 2015 Honda Fit at less than $20,000 is probably most comparable. Also in my opinion all things considered used late model Vibes and Matrixes are overpriced. Unfortunately a lot of people are unable to qualify to buy new at those prices and have to end up getting a bad deal on a used car.
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

i was down in pensacola at the base, and drove a ford focus for the week. i have to say its not a bad car. space seemed good. and i didn't feel like iwas gonna hit my head on the ceiling like i've experienced in other newer hatchbacks.

so the ford focus is on my my replacement list
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four
trb

Post by trb »

ramenboy... wrote:i was down in pensacola at the base, and drove a ford focus for the week. i have to say its not a bad car. space seemed good. and i didn't feel like iwas gonna hit my head on the ceiling like i've experienced in other newer hatchbacks.

so the ford focus is on my my replacement list
If I had the extra money for one, I would take a Focus ST, with 250+ HP. I drove one last year and also a Fiesta ST, and they were both very nice to play around on the track Ford set up for us to drive on! :D
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
troyguitar

Post by troyguitar »

We have a 2014 Mazda 3 hatchback. It's extremely nice but it is tiny inside compared to the Vibe.

There is nothing on the market like a 1st gen Vibe anymore. Everything is bigger and heavier yet has LESS space inside or is super tiny like the Fiesta/Sonic.

The next best thing to another Vibe is probably a new 2015+ VW Golf. You lose the flat load floor but cargo space, exterior/interior dimensions, and curb weight are all pretty similar and it offers great handling, great interior, and multiple great drivetrain options.

For a cheaper and smaller alternative, the new Honda Fit is an extremely well packaged vehicle. It's a full 12 inches shorter than a Vibe and weighs only 25xx lbs with a great 6-speed manual option, yet has similar rear seat space and similar cargo space with the seats folded.

The other SUV's being mentioned are all giant boats that handle like garbage compared to a 2800 lb 172" long Vibe, so it depends on whether you care about vehicle dynamics or just cargo space.
2005 Vibe GT
2004 Z06
ramenboy...

Post by ramenboy... »

trb wrote: If I had the extra money for one, I would take a Focus ST, with 250+ HP. I drove one last year and also a Fiesta ST, and they were both very nice to play around on the track Ford set up for us to drive on! :D
i'm with you there, dude, the focus was alot of fun, and i really like it. as for the fiesta, for me it would be too small.

anyways, for now, the ramenvibe is still going strong, at around 260k miles.

also, as troyguitar posted, i agree.
troyguitar wrote:There is nothing on the market like a 1st gen Vibe anymore. Everything is bigger and heavier yet has LESS space inside or is super tiny like the Fiesta/Sonic.
de-badged o4 vibe
tein s-techs | 17" msr 105 wheels | 235 45 17 nexen n7000
weapon-r short ram (thanx BC!) | typeR sport pedals | LED 3rd brake
o2 triumph speed four