Just got an '08

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
steel16s

Just got an '08

Post by steel16s »

Hi all,

Picked up my 5-speed Stealth Vibe in August. It's got the Preferred Package, Premium Monotone, U65, Slate Cyber cloth, and ABS. I have yet to get less than 30 mpg on a tank of gas, and with the front pass. seat folded down, I can fit 8-foot lumber inside with the hatch (and hatch glass!) closed. I LOVE this thing.

First mod I'll probably do is the extra 12V socket in the center console. Then maybe a head unit with an AUX jack...

Anyways, glad to be here.

Ben
2008 Vibe
5-speed, Premium Monotone Stealth, U65, ABS, black steel wheels.
Nasmfell

Re: Just got an '08

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi. Welcome. Awesome Vibe, the best year IMO. I hope it serves you well for years to come :)
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

Thanks, Nasmfell! I've been working on/taking care of Toyotas since I learned to drive, so I'm hoping to get 10 or 15 years out of it. So far so good.
2008 Vibe
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, steel!

That Vibe looks darn good!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Ben! You got one of the last Vibe's before the retooling AND a short model year run to boot! Nice color and you won't regret getting it. Keep us updated on any/all mods & progress that you do to it. Again .................. Welcome ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Nice looking Vibe, but it needs some nice wheels on it! :D With that color, the steel wheels actually look pretty good. Congrats on the purchase and good luck with the mods.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

Wow, thanks for the words of welcome, you guys! trb, maybe a spare set of steelies for snow tires, haha... then again, Pontiac made some of the best-looking alloys on the planet IMHO...
2008 Vibe
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

tpollauf wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Ben! You got one of the last Vibe's before the retooling AND a short model year run to boot! Nice color and you won't regret getting it. Keep us updated on any/all mods & progress that you do to it. Again .................. Welcome ;)
Thanks, glad to be here! When I'm car shopping, I try to get the last year of a model run. I figure whatever kinks there had been are pretty much worked out by then. I do love the color-- with a fresh wax, it looks like a brand new car. I'm gonna start small with the mods, but I'll be sure to post what I do.
2008 Vibe
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

vibrologist wrote:Welcome, steel!

Thanks, vibrologist! A Vibe's hard if not impossible to beat for good looks, practicality, reliability, and fuel efficiency in one package, as far as I can tell.
2008 Vibe
trb

Post by trb »

steel16s wrote:Wow, thanks for the words of welcome, you guys! trb, maybe a spare set of steelies for snow tires, haha... then again, Pontiac made some of the best-looking alloys on the planet IMHO...
I agree, except for maybe Ford on the Mustangs. They have some really nice looking factory wheels available.

My son's 06 came with the steel wheels and hubcaps, and once he needed new tires, I found him the 17" Vibe wheels on ebay. Bought 3 for about $175 from one seller and the 4th one was about $75 shipped. I got lucky with my 03 GT since it already had the 17" wheels. Luckily we can run them year round down here!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

steel16s wrote:
vibrologist wrote:Welcome, steel!

Thanks, vibrologist! A Vibe's hard if not impossible to beat for good looks, practicality, reliability, and fuel efficiency in one package, as far as I can tell.
Well, that sums it up. Here is my expanded version: http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/pontiac/vibe/2005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way I like the steelies with your Vibe. It says "We mean business" in a similar way as my friend used to say: "Let's have another beer, after all we aren't here just to have fun!"

Just keep them waxed and rust free.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

steel16s

Post by steel16s »

trb wrote: I agree, except for maybe Ford on the Mustangs. They have some really nice looking factory wheels available.

My son's 06 came with the steel wheels and hubcaps, and once he needed new tires, I found him the 17" Vibe wheels on ebay. Bought 3 for about $175 from one seller and the 4th one was about $75 shipped. I got lucky with my 03 GT since it already had the 17" wheels. Luckily we can run them year round down here!
You aren't lying. I like the turbines, and I actually really like the phone dials.

Those 17s are really REALLY sweet. Jealous of your weather, too-- gonna need the snowblower up here today...
2008 Vibe
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

vibrologist wrote:
Well, that sums it up. Here is my expanded version: http://www.carsurvey.org/reviews/pontiac/vibe/2005/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

By the way I like the steelies with your Vibe. It says "We mean business" in a similar way as my friend used to say: "Let's have another beer, after all we aren't here just to have fun!"

Just keep them waxed and rust free.
That's a sharp-looking '05, and I like what you've done with it. I'll definitely be doing your sound insulation mod-- as it is now, it's the best sound system I've ever had in a car I owned. But if there's more to be had...

"I mean business" is EXACTLY what I was going for with the bare black steelies. I hadn't realized I could wax them... next time, I will!
2008 Vibe
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Thanks for the kudos!
The sound proofing and the adjustments to the driver's seat are key for me. I would like to make the suspension more comfy, but there does not seem to be a practical solution. The rear struts have only about 5" of travel, the Ford Contour has about 9" for comparison.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

trb

Post by trb »

steel16s wrote:You aren't lying. I like the turbines, and I actually really like the phone dials.

Those 17s are really REALLY sweet. Jealous of your weather, too-- gonna need the snowblower up here today...
Thanks. I like putting the top line wheels on a base model to jazz it up. I had the 10 hole wheels on my 87 5.0 LX for about 15 years, until I swapped to a 5 lug Cobra brake system. I got the 17" split 5 spoke GT wheels from a 96-97 Mustang, and a couple of years later got a set of Bullitt wheels from a 2002 GT. I wish the newer model wheels would easily fit my Mustang, as I really like some of the 19" ones that are available. :D
This is how it sits now:

I really like these wheels, wouldn't mind the car either:
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

steel16s wrote:Thanks, Nasmfell! I've been working on/taking care of Toyotas since I learned to drive, so I'm hoping to get 10 or 15 years out of it. So far so good.

You're very welcome. You made a very smart choice added bonus that you have been taking care of Toyota's since you learned to drive :)
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

trb wrote: Image
Dang. Those Bullitt mags look killer on your Fox!
2008 Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Ben! That's a gorgeous Stealth Vibe you've got there :cool:! Stealth is one of my favorite 1st gen colors. Thanks for posting pictures right away ;)! I look forward to seeing what you do with your "new" Vibe in the future.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

vibenvy wrote:Welcome to GenVibe Ben! That's a gorgeous Stealth Vibe you've got there :cool:! Stealth is one of my favorite 1st gen colors. Thanks for posting pictures right away ;)! I look forward to seeing what you do with your "new" Vibe in the future.
Thanks, vibenvy. I couldn't wait to post a picture-- this thing rocks so freakin' hard. I'll be posting everything I do, no matter how mundane. First stop is that extra 12V socket, because you can't have too many GPSes on at once.
2008 Vibe
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

steel16s wrote:Thanks, vibenvy. I couldn't wait to post a picture-- this thing rocks so freakin' hard. I'll be posting everything I do, no matter how mundane. First stop is that extra 12V socket, because you can't have too many GPSes on at once.
:lol:

I love your enthusiasm Ben!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
steel16s

Post by steel16s »

vibenvy wrote: I love your enthusiasm Ben!
Haha, thanks! It'd be tough not to be enthusiastic about this little hatchback. And you guys are the nicest bunch of folks I've ever met on the Internet; I really do appreciate the warm welcome!
2008 Vibe