Brake replacement?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerBear

Brake replacement?

Post by JerBear »

I have an 09 GT with 4 wheel disc brakes. What milage should they reasonably last to? I bought the car with 44K and it has 65 now, I doubt the Brakes were replaced before I bought it but it is possible. The front seems to be in good condition (thickness) but the rear is getting close to needing replacement. I do not have too much experience with rear disc brakes but the drum brakes I have worked on in the past have rarely needed replacement before 80-90K miles with the fronts needing replacement about twice as often. I know a lot of factors come into play on brake wear but what have other Vibe owners with rear discs gotten for milage?
Caretaker

Re: Brake replacement?

Post by Caretaker »

I got 62,500 out of my rear brakes, and I am very easy on my brakes: rarely make full stops at stop signs; coasting to red lights; never tailgating.
trb

Post by trb »

I replaced the front pads on my 10 GT at about 65K, but I did not own it for the first 36K miles. Never touched the rears as they were still good. The guys at the Firestone let me know the front pads were almost gone when they rotated my tires. It was a very easy brake job.

If the fronts look OK, it is possible they were replaced, and that the rears were not. Rear disc are a bit more involved as you usually have to twist the piston to make it retract. I now have the piston tool kit I got for 50% off, http://www.harborfreight.com/disc-brake ... 61381.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I used to "rent" it from Autozone. I haven't worked on any rear disc except for my Mustang and our old Yukon, but they were not too hard to change.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Does the 09 Vibe have spiral rear disc brakes? I thought the parking brake was a small drum in the center of the rear hubs?
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

I had to use that stupid spiral tool on my 09 non-GT's rear brakes.