Downgraded... huh?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Meshami

Downgraded... huh?

Post by Meshami »

So get this... I'm on the phone with my little sis the other day. I offhandedly mentioned I picked up a new little car, and she said "Yeah, I hear you downgraded again.". What?

Number one, I love how my family just loves to talk about me behind my back. Glad their life is so boring that mine looks exciting enough to discuss between themselves.

Number two, how in the hell can she think that? I was driving an '07 Ford Escape with 145k miles on it, 4 cyl, nothing fancy, paid for. What I bought was an '07 Vibe base model with 132k miles in, automatic, still paid for. Same year, less miles, and went from 20mpg avg to 28mpg avg. And a better motor. After questioning, I got 'well.. it's a Pontiac'. To which I replied 'with a Toyota motor'. No it's not, she says. Uh.. google it, gees!! She actually said, lol, 'You mean to tell me someone pulled out the motor and put a Toyota motor back in?". uhhh....... I'm seriously staring at the phone at this point with a dumb look on my face. No amount of explaining that Toyota manufactured the motors and Pontiac's put the shell on it would satisfy her. That it was the same, literally, as a Toyota Matrix. That I got a steal for $1500 for the Vibe. To her... I 'downgraded'. From a freaking Ford??? huh?

Number three.. I got back 'Well, you shouldn't have sold your (almighty) Honda. That was a good car, blah blah blah..... " Okay, the Honda I had was a good car, drove it for 4 years. BUT... it wasn't that great on gas, maybe 22mpg avg.. it was a 2 seater and pain in the rear for anyone to get in the back, and pretty freaking long so it wasn't as zippy driving as the Vibe, couldn't haul anything for (removed), and no one in my rural area would touch a Honda, which made any repairs a total pain in the rear. All sound reasons, in my book, as to why it wasn't such a hot to keep, like it was anyone else's business anyways. But really, why the heck they care what I drive???

And then... Number four came a day or two later, I'm leaving a different sis's place, and I actually catch her taking a pic of me taking off in my car. Really, WHAT??!!! I seriously don't understand. Maybe it's cause it's so darn cute, I dunno. ;) Honestly, it's probably so she can send the pic to the other sis so they can talk about me some more. But putting my car down like that... I about lost it. :evil:
09vGT

Re: Downgraded... huh?

Post by 09vGT »

I'd hardly call moving from a Ford to a Pontiac downgrading. Now, had you moved from a BMW or Benz to a Pontiac, that would've been a downgrade :P
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

I've never been one to care much for what other people think about what I'm driving (says the man who owns a scooter... :shock: ), but I see no downgrade here. Sounds like a good financial decision, better gas mileage and hauling capacity. BTW - what was the Honda? Prelude?

Its not that hard to understand the joint ventures between automakers (they all do it), but if they're having a hard time understanding the Toyota in Pontiac clothing... send them a link to the NUMMI Wiki page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NUMMI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

That happens a lot. Few people know about the Pontiac/Toyota/Nummi relationship. Besides those here on genvibe, of course!
Attachments
nummi.JPG
nummi.JPG (64.09 KiB) Viewed 4704 times
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

No downgrade... absolutely.

You'll find that the Vibe is a simple car to own, maintain and repair. They are hardy little Toyota Corollas with a way better looking, and way more usable interior hatchback wagon Crossover type vehicle that was pretty much ahead of it's time back in 2002-2003 when it was released to the public. I've had mine since 2008 and no problems, other than the normal wear and tear issues. Just developed a vibration in the steering wheel at 60 mph or above and changed over to my snow tires and it's still there, so time to look at the front suspension bits for something that is wearing out some.

As far as economy is concerned, it's great. You can stretch a gallon quite a ways. My FWD manual is generally getting 36 mpg. Have touched 40 mpg on several tanks during the mild Summer months, but that was in local easygoing rural roads with no traffic.

I would never consider this car a downgrade from anything. It covers a lot of bases, especially in the hauling department. You made a great purchase, and the fact is... most people will never understand why. Not a big deal. Enjoy your Vibe.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

09vGT wrote:I'd hardly call moving from a Ford to a Pontiac downgrading. Now, had you moved from a BMW or Benz to a Pontiac, that would've been a downgrade :P
Slight upgrade in reliability, though! Massive if you go from BMW to Toyota, though. Not so sure on Benz.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

That's comical, meshami.

It is not unusual that relatives are the worst dis-tractors in life. Indeed, they try to elevate themselves by putting others down. One way to deal with it is ignoring them. Don't defend your position, that emboldens them because all they wanted is a reaction, any reaction. Instead, just smile. No words of explanation, no correcting of wrong facts, nothing, just an "I-know-what-I-am-doing" smile. Drives them crazy. And it is not just about cars, clothes and stuff. They will even do this about your friends and your career choices.

I recall when a college buddy bought a used car and we all were just putting it down, making jokes and so forth, including myself. He gave me a ride home and when I got out I told him: "that's really a good car, all that talk was nothing but envy." He was really thankful for this comment because he started to have doubts.

They are envious, share pictures over their smart phones and giggle.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Thanks all. I do have to remember just to smile like I have a little secret. Which, of course, I do! haha My dad told me something to that effect about 20 years ago. Said that no matter what they do, just smile and act like it doesn't bother you, even it if kills you, never let them catch you not smiling. And I had forgotten to utilize it. Thanksgiving coming up, will be an excellent time to reinsert that practice. :D

*messed up in the first post, the Honda was a 2 door, not 2 seater, Accord.
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

Downgrade - upgrade - who cares?

I don't let what I drive define me and my car certainly isn't a measure of my value. Get over it, and stop caring what other people think. Don't let a car or other peoples opinions, define you.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

beemerphile1 wrote:Downgrade - upgrade - who cares?

I don't let what I drive define me and my car certainly isn't a measure of my value. Get over it, and stop caring what other people think. Don't let a car or other peoples opinions, define you.
That's right. And it goes the other way around too: never define somebody by the car he drives or clothes he wears or......anything else but the content of his or her character.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Yeah you've got a gem there! Like others have said, not many know about the Poyota relationship. Even people who are car enthusiasts have not known, in my experience. The amount of times I've been asked if i swapped the engine while explaining that fact is laughable.
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I would say that your sis is pretty superficial. Your Toyota will last way longer than the Ford 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Doug14 wrote:Yeah you've got a gem there! Like others have said, not many know about the Poyota relationship. Even people who are car enthusiasts have not known, in my experience. The amount of times I've been asked if i swapped the engine while explaining that fact is laughable.
"I swapped the body"
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

vibrologist wrote:
"I swapped the body"
Hahaha, love it!
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

09vGT wrote:I'd hardly call moving from a Ford to a Pontiac downgrading. Now, had you moved from a BMW or Benz to a Pontiac, that would've been a downgrade :P

Not when it came to the cost or repairs/maintenance :)
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

vibolista wrote:That happens a lot. Few people know about the Pontiac/Toyota/Nummi relationship. Besides those here on genvibe, of course!

Toyota should have partnered with Pontiac all along, instead of Chevrolet IMO
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

The partnership was with GM. NUMMI produced cars with the Toyota, Chevy, Geo and Pontiac nameplates. (Probably a few others, too)
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Not when it came to the cost or repairs/maintenance :)
BMW: Oh, hello, your tail light is out? The computer module in it is bad, that'll be $399.99, please. Oh, and the headlight bulb is another $240.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Not when it came to the cost or repairs/maintenance :)
BMW: Oh, hello, your tail light is out? The computer module in it is bad, that'll be $399.99, please. Oh, and the headlight bulb is another $240.

Wow :lol:
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

runningslow wrote:The partnership was with GM. NUMMI produced cars with the Toyota, Chevy, Geo and Pontiac nameplates. (Probably a few others, too)

They did. NUMMI's quality must of been all right, since the Corolla and Tacoma were made there as well.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

As others have already said, don't worry about what your sister(s), or anyone else, thinks about your Vibe. You are happy with it and that's all that matters ;). If anything, your sister(s) is/are probably just jealous that you have such a great little all around vehicle :P.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Yeah sisters .... got a few of them myself. FOUR to be exact and three of them are brain dead, worthless pieces of #%^(&*%!. They were OK growing up some 30-40 years ago as they had some HOT girlfriends that I would try to hit on :o Anyways YOU know what you have and it was certainly an upgrade from your previous ride. The next get together, mention that you don't know what to do with the extra $$$ you have in your pocket due to the "downgrade in vehicle" that you made! That might shut them up. Enjoy the ride and keep it for a long time
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

tpollauf wrote: The next get together, mention that you don't know what to do with the extra $$$ you have in your pocket due to the "downgrade in vehicle" that you made! That might shut them up. Enjoy the ride and keep it for a long time
Love it! :lol: