The newbie found a car!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Muse

The newbie found a car!

Post by Muse »

Hey guys! First of all, thank everyone SO much for your thoughts and help on my last thread, which was all about me agonizing over some Vibe options in my area. Extra-big thanks to trb, who hooked me up with some Carfax (including this car!) in September. After a few test drives, a lot of waiting, and watching my savings -- I brought my 2005 Vibe home yesterday!

Only a general picture for now, but do people around here post more detailed photos of their cars? I might have to do that when the sun is out later...

I'm 23, and this is my first car -- paid for/researched/negotiated on my lonesome. Dad's a mechanic and he did all the real test driving, eyeballing, and non-committal "hmm" and "grumph"-ing. It needs new tires and has a minor wheel bearing issue, but that's causing more road noise than actual problems.

The title is marked "Not Actual Miles," but the previous owner wasn't sure why. As far as we all know, it's around 111,000 miles. It's in pretty damn fine condition, so I don't imagine it is far off from that.

Her name's Natasha, aka Black Widow, my favorite redheaded superspy/Avenger. ;)

vibrologist

Re: The newbie found a car!

Post by vibrologist »

Congrats! It has been a while but I think I can recall how excited I was about my first car. I was was about the same age as you.

What a sharp Vibe!

Consider starting a thread in the "GenVibe Garage". Post pictures there and tell about the things you do to and with your Vibe. It's a great way to keep a history of your Vibe experience and others can find ideas on fixes and improvements.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Muse wrote: Only a general picture for now, but do people around here post more detailed photos of their cars?
Duh :o

Yeah some of us go overboard on the photos but do post a few more when time permits. Glad we were all able to assist you in acquiring this "first" car for you. You'll have no regrets at all. My son's first car is the Blue Vibe GT in my sig, and I just might have had a little bit of influence in him getting a Vibe also :lol: Looks like you're also in a northern climate (update profile please). Enjoy the Vibe :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Muse

Post by Muse »

Thanks guys! I feel like a complete goob. I keep peeking out the window to look at it, and I took it to the gas station just as an excuse to drive it around. If I had any less self control, I would go sit in it for a while.

I'll try to snag a couple more photos of the car today for this thread. I'll also check out the GenVibe Garage and probably post in there...as if I needed any other reason to fuel a desire to take too many pics.
kostby

Post by kostby »

Welcome! Nice find.

The mileage notation on title might be due to title and registration recordkeeping procedures formalized years ago when most cars had odometers that did not record beyond 99,999.9 miles.
The odometer simply rolled over, and began at 00,000.0 again. Apparently, many states still assume that any car with over 100,000 miles will no longer have an accurate odometer reading.
In Indiana, mileage is only recorded when the car is sold. The procedure was (and might still be, but I haven't purchased a used car in over 10 years) that if the car has turned over 100,000 miles, EXEMPT was the stated mileage, despite a Vibe odometer that records up to 240,000 miles.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
trb

Post by trb »

Hey Muse, congrats on finally acquiring Natasha! She looks to be a very nice Vibe!

Kostby is correct on the title issue. For example, in Texas, they do that to all titles with over 100K miles on them, even now that most cars have 6 digits in the odometer. Even though I listed the exact 207K mileage on the 2003 GT I recently bought, the title came back marked "exempt". As long as the Carfox came back without a major discrepancy, it is nothing to worry about.
Muse wrote:Thanks guys! I feel like a complete goob. I keep peeking out the window to look at it, and I took it to the gas station just as an excuse to drive it around. If I had any less self control, I would go sit in it for a while.
LOL! I know the feeling. I did that with my first car too. And my second, my third, fourth.... :D Just tell anyone that wonders that you are learning all the features of your car!

Best of luck and you know where to come with questions.
Last edited by trb on Sun Nov 02, 2014 12:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Muse

Post by Muse »

Interesting about the 100k mileage! I'm looking at the Carfax again, and it looks like the discrepency came in its first two years. Starts off in 2005 with 10 miles, and the miles never update until 2007, when it's at 46,002 with a discrepancy noted. Maybe just a wacky odometer? It was a Mary Kay car, I'm told, so it was a lease those first two years. 20k+ miles a year those first two years makes perfect sense -- and then a woman who just used it for puttering around town and to go to work bought it, which makes then sub-10k/year miles afterward make sense. I might reach out to the owner and ask if she knows anything more, but I'm not terribly worried.

The interior is in BEAUTIFUL shape, except the radio whose buttons are rubbed off, and there's one relatively mild, though long, scratch with a minor ding on the passenger door. Otherwise, it is smooth and beautiful! I'm showing her off to anyone who stops by. :D I honestly didn't want a red car, but I'm happier and happier with it the more I have it. Will grab some more pics shortly.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I took it to the gas station just as an excuse to drive it around
Go check the refrigerator. I bet you are running out of mustard. When you come back check again, I bet the milk is low.
......Ketchup
......butter
......OJ...
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Glad to hear you finally got yourself a Vibe! Thanks for posting an update for us! She's a real beaut :cool:! Take good care of her and she'll take good care of you ;)! Enjoy (I can tell you already are :P!) your "new" Vibe!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi Welcome. Very nice Vibe :)
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Muse wrote:Thanks guys! I feel like a complete goob. I keep peeking out the window to look at it, and I took it to the gas station just as an excuse to drive it around. If I had any less self control, I would go sit in it for a while.
Congrats to You AND your Dad for finding the perfect first car!
Don't feel like a goob! My grandfather was already married when he bought his first car (Ford Model T) and he slept in it the first night! True story.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

Yay ! welcome!
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I still remember the excitement that I bought the 05 vibe when I was around your age. :D Enjoy and take care of your car.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)