Has anyone gotten their airbags replaced under the recall?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
KingGeorgeXIII

Has anyone gotten their airbags replaced under the recall?

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

I finally looked into the recall, and my '04 GT is definitely included. I can see that Toyota/GM only want to replace airbags in cars currently registered in Florida. My problem: I moved from Florida to Michigan four months ago. Any advice for me? This car was in Miami for ten years, and is absolutely at risk, but I have a feeling I'm about to be stonewalled.
kc6yot

Re: Has anyone gotten their airbags replaced under the recal

Post by kc6yot »

That just hit the national news today, they do not have stacks of replacement airbags in stock. As with all recalls this is going to take a while.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

...And according to a NY Times article I just read, the mighty Toyota has received permission from the government to flat out disable the front passenger air bag until they receive parts. And slap a label on the glove box that says 'don't sit here.' Yeah, that's a legit fix, guys. I'd rather you give us a new car to drive until you get parts. And would prefer it not be a Toyota. :lol:

I don't understand the "replace only in high humidity" recall... Below is the exact text of what currently applies to our 2003:
GM Recall #:
N140491
NHTSA Recall #:
14V312
Date Issued:
Jul 24, 2014
Recall Title:

FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAG INFLATOR

Recall Description:

Toyota has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2003 and 2004 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. These vehicles are equipped with a front passenger airbag inflator which could have been assembled with improperly manufactured propellant.

Safety Risk Description:

Improperly manufactured propellant could cause the inflator to rupture and the front passenger airbag to deploy abnormally in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury to the occupant.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to replace the vehicles front passenger airbag inflator.

My dealer can't even get the car in until the middle of next month to look at it, who knows what they'll come up with.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
Caretaker

Post by Caretaker »

My dealer can't even get the car in until the middle of next month to look at it, who knows what they'll come up with.

You'll drive home finding that they trimmed another inch off the bottom of your gas pedal; that's what you'll get :lol:
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

kc6yot wrote:That just hit the national news today, they do not have stacks of replacement airbags in stock. As with all recalls this is going to take a while.
Oh wow, I had been hearing about the Takata airbag recalls for so long, and knew that there was some airbag-related Vibe racall in the past, so I thought it had been around longer...
ColonelPanic wrote:...And according to a NY Times article I just read, the mighty Toyota has received permission from the government to flat out disable the front passenger air bag until they receive parts. And slap a label on the glove box that says 'don't sit here.' Yeah, that's a legit fix, guys. I'd rather you give us a new car to drive until you get parts. And would prefer it not be a Toyota. :lol:
We'll if it's as dangerous as some seem to think (there's always a lot of fear-mongering with these things. I'm sure a lot more people have died from the ride height putting their heads on the same level as large truck bumpers, but that's not a "defect"), I'd rather have it disabled until the parts are available. The sticker bit is pretty lame, but hey, I work for an auto manufacturer and pretty regularly drive rough prototypes that have "AIRBAG INERT" scrawled across the dashboard/steering wheel and think nothing of it... So I can't get too picky lol.
Caretaker wrote:You'll drive home finding that they trimmed another inch off the bottom of your gas pedal; that's what you'll get :lol:
Times like this I'm grateful for my throttle cable, even if it is a PITA to start the car smoothly.
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

KingGeorgeXIII wrote: Times like this I'm grateful for my throttle cable, even if it is a PITA to start the car smoothly.
What do you mean about your throttle cable?
sideshowalan

Post by sideshowalan »

kumquat wrote:
KingGeorgeXIII wrote: Times like this I'm grateful for my throttle cable, even if it is a PITA to start the car smoothly.
Probably a reference to how only the 03/04 vibes have throttle cables and the rest are DBW.
2008 Pontiac Vibe
2008 Toyota Sienna XLE
(Former 2003 5-speed Vibe owner)
kumquat

Post by kumquat »

sideshowalan wrote:
kumquat wrote:
Probably a reference to how only the 03/04 vibes have throttle cables and the rest are DBW.
Ahh. My 09 is very hard to start smoothly. I figured it was because of DBW somehow but if the 03/04 with cable is the same way... hmm.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

ColonelPanic wrote:...And according to a NY Times article I just read, the mighty Toyota has received permission from the government to flat out disable the front passenger air bag until they receive parts. And slap a label on the glove box that says 'don't sit here.' Yeah, that's a legit fix, guys. I'd rather you give us a new car to drive until you get parts. And would prefer it not be a Toyota. :lol:

I don't understand the "replace only in high humidity" recall... Below is the exact text of what currently applies to our 2003:
GM Recall #:
N140491
NHTSA Recall #:
14V312
Date Issued:
Jul 24, 2014
Recall Title:

FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAG INFLATOR

Recall Description:

Toyota has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2003 and 2004 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. These vehicles are equipped with a front passenger airbag inflator which could have been assembled with improperly manufactured propellant.

Safety Risk Description:

Improperly manufactured propellant could cause the inflator to rupture and the front passenger airbag to deploy abnormally in the event of a crash, increasing the risk of injury to the occupant.

Repair Description:

Dealers are to replace the vehicles front passenger airbag inflator.

It sounds like you're tired of the car and looking to sell it soon.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:It sounds like you're tired of the car and looking to sell it soon.
More like he's tired of dealership shenanigans
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:It sounds like you're tired of the car and looking to sell it soon.
More like he's tired of dealership shenanigans

That's perfectly understandable.
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

kumquat wrote:
sideshowalan wrote:
kumquat wrote:
Ahh. My 09 is very hard to start smoothly. I figured it was because of DBW somehow but if the 03/04 with cable is the same way... hmm.
Mine is a GT. As far as I know, the 2ZZ was never updated with ETC. I've always chalked the engine's tendency to either "outrun" the clutch or stumble on takeoff to the throttle body being sized to flow enough air to feed the engine at 8,000+ RPM. Way down at 600, barely cracking the throttle probably brings MAP up to near-atmospheric.

I've actually had the opportunity to drive a Challenger Hellcat, which I was expecting to be an unruly beast to handle, what with 650+ ft*lbs and all, but was I surprised at how easy it was to get a smooth launch. I'm not an ETC guy, but I suspect that these days, when you're at a stop, they calibrate it to feather the throttle extra carefully, at least for the first volt or two of pedal signal, so that you can get finer control. There's qhite a lot going on in between your foot and the throttle, now. '03-'04 was back in the early days of ETC, and well before my time. Don't know if they would have been nearly as sophisticated back then.
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Nasmfell wrote: It sounds like you're tired of the car and looking to sell it soon.

Nope, and it isn't my car to get rid of anyway.

Image Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Nasmfell wrote: It sounds like you're tired of the car and looking to sell it soon.
Typical negative Vibe comment. Interpreted totally wrong :lol:
lannvouivre wrote: More like he's tired of dealership shenanigans
The more supportive answer from a friendly GenViber ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

KingGeorgeXIII wrote:I finally looked into the recall, and my '04 GT is definitely included. I can see that Toyota/GM only want to replace airbags in cars currently registered in Florida. My problem: I moved from Florida to Michigan four months ago. Any advice for me? This car was in Miami for ten years, and is absolutely at risk, but I have a feeling I'm about to be stonewalled.
My wife's '05 Corolla appears to fall into the recall as well. We've been living in Dallas since February, but that car had been in the Orlando area since we bought it new. I'm guessing I should call a local dealer here to see what I should do.
Last edited by runningslow on Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

tpollauf wrote:The more supportive answer from a friendly GenViber ;)
I'm having to drive a PT Cruiser with a bad bearing inside the timing cover so my love for the Vibe has increased tenfold. Currently pulling Epona's engine to overhaul and bring up compression to spec after I abused her during my teenage years.

If your local dealerships are being derps about it, try calling ones further away.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Running the VIN of my 04 shows no outstanding recalls. Does that mean I'm good, or, simply that they haven't gotten around to recalling my VIN yet?
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

Not sure, but there's a website GM has put up to check your VIN.

I got a notice in the mail about the recall, saying that they want to replace the airbag because it was PREVIOUSLY registered in Florida, so I think we should be good.
nouveau rouge

Post by nouveau rouge »

I looked online on Thursday, no recall. Saturday, I get a letter via Fed Ex. REMEDY NOT AVAILABLE YET!!!
The two dealers in town are completely clueless.

GM Recall #:
N140735
NHTSA Recall #:
14V655
Date Issued:
Oct 23, 2014
Recall Title:

FRONT PASSENGER AIR BAG INFLATOR MODULE

Recall Description:

Toyota has decided that a defect, which relates to motor vehicle safety, exists in certain 2003-2005 model year Pontiac Vibe vehicles. The Pontiac Vibe was manufactured by New United Motor Manufacturing, Inc. (NUMMI), a joint venture between Toyota and GM. Your vehicle is equipped with a front passenger air bag assembly.

Safety Risk Description:

When operated in areas with consistently high absolute humidity, the front passenger air bag inflator module could be susceptible to rupture and the front passenger air bag could deploy abnormally in a crash, increasing the risk of injury to the occupant. Until the repair is performed, the front passenger seat should NOT be occupied.

Repair Description:

Dealers will replace the front passenger air bag inflator module, free of charge. In the case that the parts are not available, GM will provide a loaner vehicle until the repair can be completed.

Recall Status: INCOMPLETE. Remedy not yet available.
Just a plain ole 2005 Vibe. cool chicks drive sticks
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

I bought my Vibe from my sister. I'll guess they will get the letter, if it happens. How do I go about getting my info to GM for recall purposes?
JimmyDarmody

Post by JimmyDarmody »

Hi there,

I got a letter to bring my 03 Vibe GT to replace the airbag inflator. I am not the first owner (I bought the car in April) but they contacted me. I live in Vancouver, Canada. Here in British Columbia there is only one insurance company (government) so I believe that is how they found out my address.
I called a GM dealer in the are and it took about 2-3 weeks to get the part but as soon as they got it, they called me and I got the car fixed within 3 hours.
KingGeorgeXIII

Post by KingGeorgeXIII »

They search current vehicle registrations to find recalled cars. Doesn't matter if you pulled a derelict out of a field and got a new title issued so you could register and drive it. Big brother will find you.

I've already contacted my local dealer and they happen to have one inflator in stock. Put it on hold for me. Thinking I'm lucky - there aren't likely to be many other Floridian Vibes in Michigan competing for that part.
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

I received this recall on one piece of paper from Fedex too. No plan to take it to a GM dealership recently. I got a VW with turbo and is reluctant to drive the vibe now. Don't blame me guys...
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

You'll get used to going to a dealer with that turbo VW, trust me :mrgreen:
petervivian

Post by petervivian »

jayoldschool wrote:You'll get used to going to a dealer with that turbo VW, trust me :mrgreen:
I already did once. I went to the service center at 2000 miles to top the engine oil.
05 Vibe (Frosty), 13 VW CC (Fortana Red)
n2ho

Post by n2ho »

I have Vibe 2007, searched GM site with VIN number and there is no current recalls issued for it. What years were affected?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

2003-2005 were the years affected by the defective Takata air bag inflators. 2007 is fine so far!

A list of vehicles from a number of manufacturers can be found here: http://www.nhtsa.gov/About+NHTSA/Press+ ... ate-action" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Image Image
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

I just receieved a letter that was Fedexed to me stating that they have the parts now. I will take it in for the repair next chance i get.
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
trb

Post by trb »

I just got the Fedex letter today about it. I'll look into getting it done in a few weeks since I'll be out of town next week and off the week after.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Poor old girl is spending the night at the dealer... I don't know the specifics, but they had to overnight a part for one of the air bag recalls.

I'll post the outcome when we have her back.

Image Image
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

Got the car back. Only the inflator is replaced - they pull the air bag module, remove suspect inflator and install a new one into the old everything else.

As I mentioned previously, the recall that applied to this car was the one that was part of the "check and replace if necessary" which escalated to "replace" back in June. Paperwork shows campaign #14491.

Image Image
jayoldschool

Post by jayoldschool »

Looks like NHTSA has answered my question. A silly recall in the first place, many northern states and Provinces have high humidity in the summer. I'm sure this will affect Canada, too.

http://jalopnik.com/takata-to-issue-nat ... 1665618098" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;