Noob finally!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Meshami

Noob finally!

Post by Meshami »

Been looking to get a Vibe for a few years now. Finally found one when I wasn't even looking. Isn't that always the way? haha! Spotted an '07 Base model on the way to the flea market on Sunday, 136k miles, one owner. It was their daily driver and wasn't getting the love it needed. Meshami to the rescue!!! $1500 buckeroos later and I took that whitey home to give it some much needed tlc.

Like I said, it needed some love. Lucky for me, I had cash to fix this baby I was willing to part with, and which probably made others turn their nose at it. For one, the radio was wired wrong. It was on constant, drained battery so you had to manually disconnect. Then, you couldn't turn the station or volume at all, annoying!! Ugh. Yeah, that was fixed already and I'm sporting a pretty decent tune package. The previous owner didn't seem to mind the red dirt that was accumulating and didn't bother cleaning up to sell it... like, at all!! I know, I know.. that might indicate how the motor was cared for, as well, but as it was his work vehicle, I was hoping he erred on keeping it maintained over cleaned. I'm sure the dirt kinda had a few more noses turned at it. Pff. A couple outer dings, no biggy, won't bother me in the future if I get a door ding. The thing was $1500, who cares if there's a small hail dent on the hood?? The passenger side molding by the shoulder straps had an issue they tried to unsuccessfully patch. Meh, doesn't bother me. My daughter and I spent hours cleaning on her, she is starting to smile.

Motor-wise, I made the old man drive it (lol, he is the boyfriend who is mechanic, but as he's old, I just can't call him 'boy'friend). He also got the lowered price after listing the mechanical issues, haha. There was some wobbling we suspected were mainly due to tires. Okay by me, I like knowing I got good tires anyway. Am now sporting 4 good tires and it drives so darn good!!! Had it aligned, as well, as there was a very slight pull to the left.

New wiper blades, new seat covers in the front and new floor mats. Some smelly goods inside to make her happy. Friday I'm getting some pretty dark tint on the windows. Ordered a cruise control switch as mine isn't working. Ordered an arm cushion after giving up finding a taller console.

Have already taken her on work errands, should have no problem hauling the usual 4 40lb propane bottles I have to fill up every week or so. Usually have to ship some pretty big items, as well (work at an rv dealership that ships parts sometimes). When I pulled up in my lil cutie the boss just raised an eyebrow, I just smiled as they loaded the propane bottles. I wanted to dare him to see how much would fit.

My parents already had to check it out. They are weird that way, they want to see what crazy thing their daughter does next, lol. So when I told them I found a cheapy car mom made sure they showed up to check it out. Think my dad was in love, haha.

And anxious to test out the mileage. I drive mostly in town. Was driving a Ford Escape that was averaging 18mpg. Am happy to still have the hauling capacity, passenger ability, and still be zippy. :) Anyways, hi all!
vibrologist

Re: Noob finally!

Post by vibrologist »

Hi, Meshami!

Congrats to your Vibe!

I don't know, but you are some brave woman sharing your Vibe with 160lbs of propane.

Take some pictures and share them with us!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Hey Meshami, Welcome to the group. Sounds like you got an incredible deal. You're going to love the Vibe it's great for hauling a bunch of stuff!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Another female Vibe owner ... cool 8-) Sounds like this Vibe finally found the right owner to take good care of it. Looking forward to pics when you get a chance!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

I will post some pics in the next day or so after she gets her windows darkened. But... no picking!!! She's not all shiny. ...yet... :lol:
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Welcome. Good luck, (you're going to need it).
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Meshami wrote:I will post some pics in the next day or so after she gets her windows darkened. But... no picking!!! She's not all shiny. ...yet... :lol:

no, no no. We need before and after pictures.

I have my Vibe since late April and haven't washed the exterior once! There won't be any picking from me. I can't speak for the others, though. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Was going to get a pic before the tinting but alas, it was raining and I didn't want to get soaked. 8-) Will grab a pic today. Also need to read up on how to shine up those guards around the bottom.

Big shopping trip this weekend, am zero amount worried stuff will fit. ;) Have been eating out of my freezer and pantry for a few months trying to keep stock rotated out and stuff cleared out. That, and I HATE shopping. But alas, almost out of food, and that is not allowed, lol.
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

I HATE shopping
It is so good to know that there are women who prefer taking care of their car over shopping! :mrgreen:
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Sounds like you got a great deal on a decent Vibe that just needed some TLC. It's always cool to see another female owner join :cool:! Looking forward to pictures...
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Was a bit disappointed yesterday.. I really thought I was gonna really test out the hauling capabilities. What a joke!! Loaded down grocery cart including the underside full, then went back and got 4 big pumpkins. And you know what?? I had mondo room to spare! :lol: So much so that I had to kind of keep my hand back there to keep the pumpkins from sliding around all over. Gees, that was no test, haha. I coulda just kept the seats folded, too. Must get more of a challenge next time. :mrgreen:

Here's a couple quick pics I shot when the sun was shining outside. And yes... yes that is some bolts holding the right rear bumper to the car. I have class I tell ya!! 8-)
Attachments
whitey1.jpg
whitey1.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
whitey2.jpg
whitey2.jpg (87.23 KiB) Viewed 3540 times
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

To fix the windshield or not fix the windshield... that is the question of the day.

On one hand, it's a crack that started as a ding I imagine in the lower left corner. It has since branched out a few crack lines. It is no where near my field of view, which is legal here. Can just drive it like it is. On the other hand, it is a little annoying. But hey, she ain't perfect and it kinda adds to her charm. On the other other hand, haha, that's just more $$ I'd be a spending and it's adding up. Was supposed to be my cheapy car find. :mrgreen:

So far on the dollar side:
$275 to title and tag.
$275 for tinting.
$86 for wiper blades, steering wheel cover, paint pen for chips, armor all, and front seat covers.
$110 for front drivers door hinge (includes shipping.. no pickaparts had it grrr).
$35 for cruise control switch (includes shipping).
$25 cushion arm rest for console (includes shipping).
$25 new floor mats.

Now I get to try to sell off my '07 Ford Escape with 142k miles on it, yee. :|
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

It depends on how long you want to keep Whitey. My guess is you want to keep her for a long time. In that case I would get the windshield replaced soon in order to enjoy the benefits for as long as possible.

For me, a car that stays under one grand per year qualifies as cheap transportation. It should be absolutely no problem to achieve this goal even if you put another grand in. But you have to define what is "cheap" for you.

I couldn't see the bolts that hold the bumper. But I like what I saw. And if you like to test the load capacity consider bigger pumpkins. ;)
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Looks like you got a great deal on your Frosty Vibe! I spent about what you've spent total, just to buy my 03 GT, but it has 70K more miles on it. I do see how that wheel trim is mounted, at least it is not flapping in the wind. You should be able to find a used replacement for it and mount it correctly with the push in pins. I found out those parts are pricey new, as we just replaced it on my son's Vibe.

As for keeping the trim looking good, you have two choices. First, use some of the bumper/ plastic trim restorer products to keep the trim "oiled" up so it looks good, or use some plastic trim paint to paint it all again. I use a Turtle Wax product and it usually takes 2 coats to make it look good as new, and I've had to reapply it every 2 months. Well, I did it at the end of July after I bought the car and again first of Oct.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Best thing ever invented!!! Just got today... ta'da! Memory foam for my elbow and no more slouching sideways to rest my right elbow, woot!!
Attachments
armrest.jpg
armrest.jpg (21.82 KiB) Viewed 3521 times
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Nasmfell wrote:Welcome. Good luck, (you're going to need it).
Seriously? It's not a used BMW, you'd need luck for one of those parts-and-cash-guzzlers.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

lannvouivre wrote:
Seriously? It's not a used BMW, you'd need luck for one of those parts-and-cash-guzzlers.
I had also wondered about this comment as well. Why bother posting negative?
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

The Pad you got for your center arm rest. Where if you get it?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

lannvouivre wrote:

:)
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

lannvouivre wrote:Seriously? It's not a used BMW, you'd need luck for one of those parts-and-cash-guzzlers.
I think I'm also going to suggest a flamethrower on top of my previous statement, should anyone encounter one of the newer BMWs.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

JerBear wrote:The Pad you got for your center arm rest. Where if you get it?
http://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-Car-A ... B009MBHI4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the brand, I believe the size I got was small and it fits perfect. :)
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Whitey looks fine to me ;)! Thanks for posting pictures!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Meshami

Post by Meshami »

Got the workings going for a bug out/camp out bag going. Big duffel bag holds a skinny twin air mattress that fits perfect on the folded down back passenger side, a 40 degree sleeping bag, pillow, battery operated LED light, extra blanket, thermos, flask, multi use knife with utensils, air pump, collapsible silicone bowl and cup, freeze dried meals, bungee cords, sani wipes, 12v dvd player, 12v electric heater/defroster, short potty, and small electric 1 cup coffee pot for hot water. Will be adding things along as I get them. Like the thought of a grab n go bag for when the mood strikes. :) Also got one of those dandy portable chargers in case I get stupid and run the battery down. :)

Oh, and I did go ahead and get the windshield replaced. :) Looks good!!

The noise it was making they discovered was some bolts in the braking system. It wasn't the CV joints thank goodness. $400 later and no noise and it runs and drives very good now. Only things left: check fuses to see if that's why the cruise isn't working, or replace cruise switch (already have). And figure out the code thing (slow emissions leak, the tech at Autozone checked the gas cap, it was fine, said it might be small kink in the gas filling line or something to that effect).
GaryG92

Post by GaryG92 »

Meshami wrote:
JerBear wrote:The Pad you got for your center arm rest. Where if you get it?
http://www.amazon.com/WalterDrake-Car-A ... B009MBHI4E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the brand, I believe the size I got was small and it fits perfect. :)
I know this post is a bit old, but I just wanted to say thanks! I'm gonna look into getting one of these, cause my arm rest is cracked and it's just really annoying. Hope you've enjoyed your vibe so far!
Proud Vibe owner as of 6/13/2015
05 Base, 131k miles
Team Lava
Looking forward to many years of good Vibes!