2003 and I'm in Love...

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tpollauf

Re: 2003 and I'm in Love...

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe Dan. Update profile for us so we know your location. Your overwhelming introduction comes as no surprise! How any of us survived prior to the Vibe's existence is beyond me (OK a bit of an exaggeration there) but you get the point. Nice cars, nice folks here, and nice to have you as part of our community :D Again ............... WELCOME ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! I smiled when I read your post! It's always great to hear just how much people love their Vibes! They are such great vehicles and statements like yours prove this. Please post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance. We love pictures around here :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome to the forum, Dan!

We all know how a Vibe looks, we just can't get enough of it: pictures, please!
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi, Welcome.
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome Dan! I guess you will fit right in here, as most of us "love" our Vibes too. :D I guess you could say I'm on my third one now, so that should tell you something!

Good luck with your new car and post up some pics!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Like the LEDs that some have put in and around the car. Cool? Hell yes, but can a 46 yea old guy with glasses and a belly really have such things and not have every person that sees them think I am driving my sons car?
People would say: "This guy has a real cool son!"

Obviously, there is no rule for when to stop. There are also different objectives to do mods: make it faster, handle better, look better in your own view or to impress judges at car shows etc. Therefore I suggest you define your objective first, then go for it, but don't forget to buy flowers now and then for the the significant other. In fact that could be an indicator: when your new obsession is affecting important relationships you went to far.

For me it was simple: I wanted it quieter, more comfy and I wanted the dog confined to the back. I am still investigating a few things in terms of comfort.

Let's see what the other vibe lovers will say.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

DRVibe wrote: My Girlfriend thinks I'm nuts, as she has never seen me act this way about a car. And with all the Modifications that I am reading about, that I have seen in the pictures you post, I am sure I am not done yet.

Tell your girlfriend that you suddenly found interest in something other that her :lol: But seriously, the fact that you're interest in this vehicle is so intent, is a GOOD thing as it stimulates your brain to learn, personalize it, and make it a part of your everyday life. Just like the girlfriend ! The more you educate yourself on this vehicle, the better off you'll be when it comes to any unforeseen breakdowns/failures in the event they ever occur.

DRVibe wrote: But here is a question to all who would be nice enough to answer... I am not, let's say mechanically inclined. But thank to all the great information here I feel like I can do a lot of these modifications/fixes myself. But when it comes to the modifications, being that I am 46 and not the cool any hip guy I once thought I was in my twenty's, at what point does one stop?

This answer is an easy one ...........................................NEVER !!! Again, it is all up to how one feels they can keep up with any potential work on the vehicle. I've got ten years on you and kids in college BUT I don't see myself slowing down or ever getting rid of the modding bug, until I'm well into my 70's. In fact, I will likely become more of a modding addict in the future due to being retired and having more time to devote to this hobby.

DRVibe wrote: Like the LEDs that some have put in and around the car. Cool? Hell yes, but can a 46 yea old guy with glasses and a belly really have such things and not have every person that sees them think I am driving my sons car?

Don't you love that "double take" look that you'll get when they think it should be a 20 something behind the wheel? That makes my day :D

DRVibe wrote:Just wondering if there was ever a point any of you had to say to yourself, yes I can do that mod, but maybe I shouldn't. And if so what was it that you didn't do?
Dan R
I ONLY, and I mean ONLY, get to this point when a mod went bad. This rarely happens and when it does it is a sign that I obviously bit off more than I can chew. Yes it happens to all of us, some more than others, but at least we try and never give up. Only when the attempt proves to be unsuccessful do you put up the white flag & surrender :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I say if there's something you want to do to your Vibe, do it! It's your vehicle and you shouldn't worry about what others may think. What matters is that you're happy with it ;)!