Posting pictures

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerBear

Posting pictures

Post by JerBear »

I searched on this subject but only got many people thanking them for posting pictures. I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, would someone help me figure this process out? I have a three vibe family and have wanted to post pictures for a while and even have them but can't figure out how to get them to the site.
Thanks, Jerry
joatmon

Re: Posting pictures

Post by joatmon »

There are two schools of thought on the topic. Some recommend uploading the pictures to a independent picture hosting site, such as photobucket. Some recommend uploading the pictures to genvibe directly. I favor the latter, for posterity's sake. There are some excellent technical threads here, detailed how-to's, and some of them are now crippled up and a lot less useful because the person who put the time into writing them up and providing excellent pictures used an external picture host, but over the years they've drifted away from the forum, and stopped supporting those pictures, so now when I go looking for that information, all I get is the words separated by a series of broken image link icons. If that person had instead uploaded them directly to genvibe, then those useful pictures would still be here even though the poster may have moved on. Since it's my preference, I'll explain how to post pictures here.

When you create a post, either to reply to someone or to start a new thread, or edit a post, under the big text entry area there are two tabs, Options and Upload attachment. If you click on the Upload attachment tab, you will see the following:
upload.jpg
upload.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 809 times
Click on the Browse button and you'll get a file system window where you can identify the file on your local system to upload. If you want to, you can add a comment for the uploaded file. Click on the "Add the file" button. It will upload the file and then you'll get a new area between the big post text entry box and the two tabs
a comment for an image placed in line
a comment for an image placed in line
editAttachment.jpg (7.13 KiB) Viewed 809 times
In this section you can edit or add the comment again if you wish, or you can leave it blank. The name of the file is a link, you can click on the link to see the file you uploaded if you wish, or you can look at it later. If you click the "Place inline" button, it will add a tag to your post text wherever it thinks the cursor is that looks something like
upload.jpg
upload.jpg (11.07 KiB) Viewed 809 times
[/b] If you decide you don't want to upload that particular file, you can click on the Delete file button and it will delete it from the server. If deleted, you would need to upload it again if you change your mind again and decide you want it uploaded.

If you want, you can click on the Upload attachment tab and upload another file, same process as the first, and then you will see two files in the Posted Attachments section

You can upload at most three files per post, so if you want to upload a dozen, you would need to spit them up between at least four separate posts. I have uploaded three pictures to this post, two of them I have set to "Display inline", the third I did not. The second and third ones I added comments so you can see how they are displayed once posted.

There are other considerations. There is a size limit on the files that can be uploaded. It used to be 1 MB, not sure what it is now, but since most digital cameras these days create several MB files, you may need to resize or crop the pictures to get the files under the file size limit. Also, it helps to consider that the pictures will be viewed on a range of systems, so its great if you have a 20 megapixel camera, but that makes for a picture larger than most peoples monitors, and if you put that in line, then you force people to do a lot of vertical and horizontal scrolling. There are a number of free apps that can crop and resize pictures, I won't go into them here.
Attachments
Here is a comment for an attachment.  The picture is just a cropped screen grab of the genvibe logo in the banner
Here is a comment for an attachment. The picture is just a cropped screen grab of the genvibe logo in the banner
gv.jpg (3.47 KiB) Viewed 809 times
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

joatmon wrote:Some recommend uploading the pictures to a independent picture hosting site, such as photobucket.

Here's a thread that KITT222 made about how to post pictures using an external image sharing site.

I am looking forward to seeing pictures of your 3 Vibes!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

I'm going to try again.

A 09 Gt, 04 base w/a sun roof and 07 base
Last edited by JerBear on Sun Sep 28, 2014 2:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Tried both but had to go to Photobucket to get it to work. Thanks for the help, this site has helped me and our Vibes so much.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

JerBear wrote:I'm going to try again.

A 09 Gt, 04 base w/a sun roof and 07 base
JerBear wrote:Tried both but had to go to Photobucket to get it to work. Thanks for the help, this site has helped me and our Vibes so much.
That's a mighty fine looking Vibe fleet you've got there Jer :cool:!

Glad you got the picture-posting thing figured out and that GV has helped you and your Vibes!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage