another new owner of 2003 GT

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
tinyfrogs

another new owner of 2003 GT

Post by tinyfrogs »

Hey folks,

I joined and posted when I was thinking about buying this car. And then about 2.5 weeks ago I did. 2003 GT moons/tunes w/ 17" Enkais and Conti Extremes in great shape. Low-ish miles (993xx when I bought it) and mechanically clean it seems. Shift linkage bushings were rough, and I already swapped them for a brass set from ebay when I changed the oil.

Car had some cosmetic issues letting it down. Flat and iron-stained paint, a dent in rear quarter like someone slammed their hip into it, a few chips on hood, a bad repair on door, and the factory stereo has worn paint. My buddy who checked the car with me wanted to pop the dent out on the spot, but I convinced him to hold off till after I'd bought it. Then I had a mobile detailer buff the car and do a full cleaning (carnuba wax is already losing its slickness, so I'm going back to the synth I have on hand). Finishing the dent repair and repairing the "repair" on the rear door will need a pro. I'll get to the paint chips eventually, and that stereo when I can afford it. I need a better roof rack. I'd like to go with an aerobar style, but that requires buying a lot of new hardware instead of reusing a bunch of on-hand Yakima gear.

The car has been great so far. I took it in for the airbag recall and the "complementary inspection" didn't turn up anything. I've yet to get through a full tank of gas but it seems to be running well. In local driving it runs so strongly between 2000-4000 rpm that I have had little opportunity to get it into lift, but it's there. Fun car and more efficient than my matching vehicle (with almost double the miles and more needs).
IMG_2952.jpg
IMG_2952.jpg (231.57 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
tpollauf

Re: another new owner of 2003 GT

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. What part of the country are you from? (update profile). Nice find there and these little cars with manual tranny's are a BLAST to drive. Good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome, and it looks pretty good from the picture. Was it posted on cars.com or autotrader? I recall seeing a white one with similar wheels when I was looking for our 3rd Vibe a few weeks ago.

Good luck on fixing everything!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Congrats!

A few cosmetic flaws can make a great bargain. Your Vibe looks fine!
Show us a picture of the damage to the door.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
ImUrOBGYN

Post by ImUrOBGYN »

Welcome. Hit that lift! What are you waiting for? ;)
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best
ImageImageImage
cptnsolo77

Post by cptnsolo77 »

Great score ! The wheels look VERY sharp 8-)
* 2003 Vibe Auto Satellite Silver w / Moons & Tunes
* Kenwood Excelon KDC-X597
* Polk DB651-Speakers
* Soundproofcow Roadblock R sound deadening in all doors
* Drop In K & N Filter
* NGK Iridium IX Plugs
* 27 MPG City/Highway with AC on
zythr

Post by zythr »

Welcome
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! That's a pretty sharp looking two-tone Frosty GT you've got there! Thanks for posting a picture of it right away ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
tinyfrogs

Post by tinyfrogs »

Hmm, didn't realize I had replies until I logged in again. I don't think this car was listed anywhere but my local Craigslist.

First full tank of gas got me 29.8 mpgs. Not bad considering I haven't been modest with the throttle in stoplight conditions. I have gotten it into lift a few times...but the 4000-5000 band is plenty for most of my needs.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

tinyfrogs wrote:Hmm, didn't realize I had replies until I logged in again. I don't think this car was listed anywhere but my local Craigslist.

First full tank of gas got me 29.8 mpgs. Not bad considering I haven't been modest with the throttle in stoplight conditions. I have gotten it into lift a few times...but the 4000-5000 band is plenty for most of my needs.
I've had my 03 for 9months and hit Lift Daily. Been getting high 20's and low 30's mpg. Keep the engine happy and a smile on your face, hitting lift is almost like love making but different :D . Make sure you use Premium Gas and it is required.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
tinyfrogs

Post by tinyfrogs »

A belated update:

Well, I'm not driving the Vibe anymore. We played musical jobs and now my wife is using it for her 30-mile commute each way. She calls it "MY car" and I'm stuck driving her hand-me-down CUV appliance (from her parents) with a valve cover gasket leak and nearly bald tires. She got a speeding ticket last week. (Edit: I now have NA Miata fever.)

Her fuel economy hasn't been as good as when I was using it (for a just 2 tanks of gas), which could be driving style, but it also has me looking to doing a 100k service. I haven't had much time to research it but I figure new NGK platinum plugs, fuel filter, and a KN air filter are in order. After that I'll look into a radiator flush (using OEM Toyota coolant, of course), tranny flush, and perhaps brake and steering flushes at a local shop. Any other items to address?

Here's a pic showing the door damage/repair. The thing that looks like a dent on the upper side is just a reflection.
IMG_1226.jpg
IMG_1226.jpg (184.39 KiB) Viewed 1599 times