New Vibe Owner!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sfr4dr

New Vibe Owner!

Post by sfr4dr »

So, this is our second Vibe. It's a 2010 base AWD with 44k. We had a 2005 2wd auto and loved it but sold it when we moved to Tahoe. The wife is cool with me getting a Miata turbo with the proceeds from our 2003 Outback. The new Vibe drives great and is pretty quick for what it is.

Here's the list of things to do:
Get rid of the rental car look.
Yakima Rack - Q-towers (already have them and it mounts much further forward and thus more useful than factory), bike mounts and box in winter, fairing
16" black wheels. Not sure which ones yet. I'd like to go 17's but the tires are pretty new and I hate to waste them.
General Altimax Artic snow tires on the stock steelies
Debadge front and rear. Someone repainted the rear hatch and bumper and did a horrible job. I'm getting a quote to respray.
GT rear spoiler

Maintenance'ish:
Install missing body clips
Front strut boots torn (looks inevitable when the car is raised. They look too short to stretch. Might just ride it out until they're shot then replace.
Find a replacement for the missing cup holder
Find a bumper pad like the older matrix has (dog will tear it up going in and out, plus this is where we drink beer and put on snowboard boots!)

That's about it for now. I look forward to coming here for info!
Thanks, Phillip
2010 Vibe AWD
tpollauf

Re: New Vibe Owner!

Post by tpollauf »

Nice to hear you got another Vibe! Check this link for the rear bumper protector and possibly get one. Good luck!
viewtopic.php?f=33&t=40335&p=478902&hil ... or#p478902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
triz

Post by triz »

Welcome!
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Welcome, sfr4dr!

Can't wait to see pictures, before and after. There is even a thread to post about your Miata: viewforum.php?f=40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

Thanks guys. I'll get some pics this weekend. The wife is out driving right now. I just ordered up the bumper pad and hope to get the rack and wheels ordered this weekend as well. It's on its way!

Just a side note, If I wanted to throw the GT front bumper on, is anything else needed to make it fit? Are the fenders the same? It looks like bumper cover, fog lights, and lower grill insert.
2010 Vibe AWD
zythr

Post by zythr »

Welcome
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Sounds like you have a lot of plans for your new Vibe! Wish I had kept the cup holder dividers from my 10 GT, then I could have sent them to you. Might just have to look for a salvage Vibe close by on http://www.car-part.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I found a 2009-10 Vibe by looking up doors and engines and such. I picked up the pieces for about $3, vs the crazy GM prices.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Congratulations on getting a 2nd Vibe! Definitely post some pictures of it when you get a chance ;)!
sfr4dr wrote:Just a side note, If I wanted to throw the GT front bumper on, is anything else needed to make it fit? Are the fenders the same? It looks like bumper cover, fog lights, and lower grill insert.
I am pretty sure that all the mounting points, etc. are the same for the two different 2nd gen front bumper covers. All you would need is the bumper cover, fog lights, side grille inserts (next to the fog lights) and lower grille. I highly recommend GMPartsCenter.net. They have great prices and are very helpful with any questions you may have. You could also check out car-part.com to see if by chance you could find a 2009-2010 Vibe GT in a junkyard near you.

Be sure to keep us updated on any modifications you do to your "new" Vibe!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

Thanks! I figured it was the same mounting setup. With the snow we get, I'd need to check how much clearance we'd lose. It's not uncommon for us to get 2' of snow overnight before the plows show up. We sometimes have to wait or just bomb through it for 1/4 mile to the highway which is always plowed first. We'll see. The GT bumper is just a thought for now but I do think it looks a lot better.
2010 Vibe AWD