GPS mount

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
nugentc

GPS mount

Post by nugentc »

I've done a little searching on this forum and saw what a couple of people had done to mount a GPS, but I'm curious to know if there are other solutions. Our suction cup mount broke, and we sometimes go to NJ where I believe window mounts aren't allowed, although I could be wrong on that.

I liked the velcro idea but I can't really see where I'd mount it that it's not blocking a button or the CD player in the general stereo area.

I also like the idea of a "friction mount" for on top of the dash, but the dash is so sloped in the Vibe in that area above the stereo. I'm wondering if those would still work well there. Ideally it would go somewhere between both driver and front passenger so front passenger can help enter settings.

It's a Garmin, if that matters, and the car is '03. What solutions have worked well in your Vibes to mount a GPS somewhere in the middle between driver and passenger?
meinmi

Re: GPS mount

Post by meinmi »

I tried two different friction pads on the dash and both fell off on hard turns; there is not part of the dash flat enough for them to work in my experience. I bought a smooth plastic disc which mounted with 3m tape on the dash, right on the sharp slope above the 4 way button. You still need the suction cup to mount to the disc. I went to this arrangement two years ago and have had no troubles. Good luck with whatever you decide to try.
Derf

Re: GPS mount

Post by Derf »

The middle is tricky. To mount some of my equipment I pulled the bezel off around the radio, made a custom metal bracket and lightly notched the bezel before putting it back into place. Requires some basic tools, a vise, and time to prep and paint the metal. Results allow me to mount pretty much anything in the center. If you were to mount on the driver side near the pillar, can accomplish the same, good size gap between the pillar cover and dash, could "wedge" a brace into place and use it mount your device.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )