Got hit :(

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
DeClercq

Got hit :(

Post by DeClercq »

It's been a week or so, so I guess it's time for another accident thread.

Driving home Friday evening and an older lady blew a stop sign and got me on the passenger side front quarter panel. It's was a relatively low-speed accident, so no airbags deployed and no injuries (3 kids combined in both cars - 2 in mine and one in the other). Pretty much everything got shoved to the left, both quarter panes, the hood and front clip. Still runs (was able to drive it home) but engine sounds loud and there's lots of vibration. It looks like there is a motor mount behind the radiator and whatever metal piece it is bolted too got pushed to the left also, so my assumption is the motor mount is not doing it's job very well any more. I'm taking it to the shop tomorrow for an estimate. I'm a little worried since it's an 11 year old car (just under 80k miles). Anyone know what figure insurance uses to value a vehicle, retail or trade-in? NADA says a clean retail is $6925 ($4725 trade-in). KBB says $6448 and $5362 (retail and trade-in).

Offending party was driving a first-gen Buick Lacrosse.

Scene of the crime:
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
tpollauf

Re: Got hit :(

Post by tpollauf »

Just over a week with no GenVibe reported accidents ..... hmmmmmmmmm ... you had to break the"accident free" streak :o When the adjuster checks this out, you tell kim/her that these Vibe's are collectors items and MUST be saved from the salvage yard. A fusion Orange one to boot 8-) Insist on repairing it. Keep us posted.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Good news is that when my friend's Vibe got hit and got shifted slightly it was fixable. But this one you'll need some tenacity to keep it. Insist on them being valuable, and the best damn used cars out there, thus being worth it. Even if you don't it will likely get fixed if/when it goes to auction.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Tell them you want the Matrix Price and it should be retail not trade in. Glad everyone is OK but this really sucks.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Toyotiaction

Post by Toyotiaction »

:cry:
NNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!

As a fellow owner of an 11 year old Fusion Vibe... SH--!... I'm so sorry. That is terrible. Please keep us posted on the outcome.
People drive their cars to arrive at their next adventure. The truly great cars, are themselves an adventure.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

It's at the body shop now. They said they should have the estimate tomorrow.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
SeattleJeremy

Post by SeattleJeremy »

Glad everyone is ok. Hope it goes well and you can get your car back soon.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Got the estimate back, looks like it'll be totaled.

Financial Summary
Parts: $5,891.03
Labor: $2,206.80
Towing: $0.00
Other: $390.09
Total Estimate: $8,487.92
Less Deductible: $500.00
Net Total: $7,987.92
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
Derf

Post by Derf »

Wow, impacts are not kind to Vibes. Looks like a really clean car, like your two tone seats. The images suggest the motor cradle and frame were bent. Curious if you could get a detailed list on the parts from the estimate. With so many older Vibes on the road might help someone else buying a used Vibe look out for "oversight" by a body shop fixing up a salvage Vibe. Or help a DIY fixing up a Vibe get a better idea of what they are looking at.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

DeClercq wrote:Got the estimate back, looks like it'll be totaled.

Financial Summary

Hmmmmm .... You did not ask to be hit! You were not at fault! You really want to keep this car! etc..... etc .... etc ....

Since this figure is "real close" to a fixable amount, is there any way to insist it be repaired? A second opinion from another shop where the "parts" amount could be lowered? This is just not right and you should not have to settle for what they deem is final :x
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Derf wrote:Wow, impacts are not kind to Vibes. Looks like a really clean car, like your two tone seats. The images suggest the motor cradle and frame were bent. Curious if you could get a detailed list on the parts from the estimate. With so many older Vibes on the road might help someone else buying a used Vibe look out for "oversight" by a body shop fixing up a salvage Vibe. Or help a DIY fixing up a Vibe get a better idea of what they are looking at.

...You're feeling a little different about your Vibe, now?
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

tpollauf wrote:
DeClercq wrote:Got the estimate back, looks like it'll be totaled.

Financial Summary

Hmmmmm .... You did not ask to be hit! You were not at fault! You really want to keep this car! etc..... etc .... etc ....

Since this figure is "real close" to a fixable amount, is there any way to insist it be repaired? A second opinion from another shop where the "parts" amount could be lowered? This is just not right and you should not have to settle for what they deem is final :x

Look at it this way, OP will get a pay off check that can be used for a new (er) ride, and this accident may take a potentially dangerous driver off the road.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

I'm not sure what is going to happen yet, I have not talked to my insurance since that estimate was uploaded to them (I found it on the ins. website). I imagine I should hear from them tomorrow. I'm only assuming it will be totaled. The other driver's insurance called me today to get my side of the story. From what I inferred, they are still trying to establish who was at fault. Funny thing is, the other driver told them the incorrect intersection at which the accident occurred (he wanted to confirm with me some of the facts). She told him it happened at one intersection south of where it did happen (just over 2 miles). If she got that wrong, what else did she tell him that's not accurate??

I overheard her tell the deputy at the scene that we both left from the stop signs at the same time. Obviously false since she never stopped at all. And just looking at the damage to my car, that's no that's even possible. For one thing, I would have hit her (towards the back of her car since I would have had to cross the northbound lane first), and the damage to my car would be a lot less severe. I was already at least 1/4 way crossing the southbound lane when she hit me.

Those are Wet Okole neoprene seat covers (heated!). They may be for sale here pretty soon to any of you other 3 Fusion Orange drivers out there!

'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

If there's no frame damage, ask the insurance company how much they'd be willing to sell you the car.
Back in the day, someone rear ended me in a BMW 325i. Insurance claimed it a total loss and were gonna cut me a check for $3,500. They offered to sell it back to me if I'd like for $500. I said yes, they gave me $3,000 and I kept the car. A few days at the shop and it was back to normal (but with salvage title).
Derf

Post by Derf »

Nasmfell wrote:...You're feeling a little different about your Vibe, now?
I still think its a very safe car, the issue is trying to repair one after an accident. From recent posts it appears the Vibe is designed to absorb an impact rather than deflect it, which is great for safety but hard on the wallet. I see postings of the Vibe being used as a Rally Car, so it can't be fragile. Part of me also wonders that since their is no Pontiac and the 1st gen Vibes are getting up in age, if the aftermarket is slowly running out of certain parts causing the repair bills to go up? Sometimes insurance companies will let the owner specify the type of parts used OEM, aftermarket, or salvage parts. I would be curious how much salvage parts would bring the estimate down, they are already painted which would also save labor.
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
trb

Post by trb »

Ouch! I feel your pain, literally! Sorry to hear about the damage. :( I know there is a nice 2010 orange Vibe GT for sale in IL though, asking about $12K.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

It's official - totaled. Getting $7925.25 from insurance, which honestly is a lot more than I had expected. This was primarily my wife's car, so I'm leaving the choice of replacement vehicle up to her.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
jake75

Post by jake75 »

DeClercq wrote:It's official - totaled. Getting $7925.25 from insurance, which honestly is a lot more than I had expected. This was primarily my wife's car, so I'm leaving the choice of replacement vehicle up to her.
Your insurance or the other driver's insurance?
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Always sucks to see a post like this :cry:. Sorry to hear about the Vibe. Keep us updated on what your wife decides to get as a replacement.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

jake75 wrote:
DeClercq wrote:It's official - totaled. Getting $7925.25 from insurance, which honestly is a lot more than I had expected. This was primarily my wife's car, so I'm leaving the choice of replacement vehicle up to her.
Your insurance or the other driver's insurance?
As far as I know, it is my insurance. The figure they quoted me does not include my $500 deductible, but she said once it is determined the other driver was at fault, I would get that money added to my total check. Maybe they pay me (just so I can get my money faster?) and then the other driver's insurance pays them? I have no idea how it's supposed to work.
vibenvy wrote:Always sucks to see a post like this :cry:. Sorry to hear about the Vibe. Keep us updated on what your wife decides to get as a replacement.
We test drove a Jetta Sportwagen TDI today. Really nice but she said she doesn't think it's for her. We may go look at an Encore next. She gets the GM employee pricing (via her grandmother), I have close to $1000 from my GM card, plus there's $1000 cash back (but only until the 7th), plus 0% for 60 months. So we'll see.

Farewell shot :( And look what they parked it next to, the very same car that caused this whole mess. I should've dented a door or two when no one was looking... :twisted: (kidding...I wouldn't really).
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
trb

Post by trb »

DeClercq wrote:As far as I know, it is my insurance. The figure they quoted me does not include my $500 deductible, but she said once it is determined the other driver was at fault, I would get that money added to my total check. Maybe they pay me (just so I can get my money faster?) and then the other driver's insurance pays them? I have no idea how it's supposed to work.
Yes, your company can pay you sooner, less the deductable, and when they subrogate the claim, they collect from the other company and reimburse your deductable.
DeClercq wrote:We test drove a Jetta Sportwagen TDI today. Really nice but she said she doesn't think it's for her. We may go look at an Encore next. She gets the GM employee pricing (via her grandmother), I have close to $1000 from my GM card, plus there's $1000 cash back (but only until the 7th), plus 0% for 60 months. So we'll see.
I like the Encore also and so does my daughter. It is almost the same size as the Vibe, just taller, but the rear cargo area seems to be smaller IMO. Maybe it is the hard package tray on the ones we looked at that made it look smaller.

Good luck on your search!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

You'll be bidding adieu to Genvibe as well?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Why not the Mazda3 or a CX-5? Just wondering. Then there's also the Hyundai Elantra GT and Veloster, plus the KIA Forte5, then also the Chevy Sonic. Mazda, KIA, and Hyundai have all improved massively in recent years. Just putting other suggestions out there.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Wow, that is a fair payoff. But you were hit on the passenger side but the front drivers side is buckled, I think you got smacked harder that you thought. And for all that want it repaired I do not think you can ever get a good front end alignment again. Do you know where it is going, I would love to get all the parts off that one.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

lannvouivre wrote:Why not the Mazda3 or a CX-5? Just wondering. Then there's also the Hyundai Elantra GT and Veloster, plus the KIA Forte5, then also the Chevy Sonic. Mazda, KIA, and Hyundai have all improved massively in recent years. Just putting other suggestions out there.
I wouldn't mind looking at a CX-5, but the closest Mazda dealer is over an hour away. There are no used ones nearby. There is a 2010 Mazda3 s hatchback at a local dealer we may go look at. Only concern with the 3 is the roominess (or lack thereof) of the rear seats. We still have two kids in booster seats so that is something to consider. My wife isn't big on KIA (don't know why, she's never driven or even sat in one). There are 3 Elantra GT's here at the Hyundai dealer, but all north of $20k, one was $25k. Seems like a lot of money to me for a small hatchback.
kc6yot wrote:Wow, that is a fair payoff. But you were hit on the passenger side but the front drivers side is buckled, I think you got smacked harder that you thought. And for all that want it repaired I do not think you can ever get a good front end alignment again. Do you know where it is going, I would love to get all the parts off that one.
I know! I was expecting at most $6k since that is around the retail value given by kbb and nada. I don't know where they are taking it. Insurance told me to make sure I had everything out of the car because they are picking it up this afternoon. I did manage to grab a few things I may try to sell - the floor mats (in surprisingly good shape), cargo cover (I don't think I ever used it), the tie-down hooks and straps for the cargo area (never used, still in the original plastic bags), and the stock radio. I had an aftermarket one installed, I just never put the oem one back in when I took that one out.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

I think the Encore is off the list. Test drove one today and gave it good once over. Nice enough car, but not $28k nice. Not exactly sure what all you're getting for that price. The car we looked at was a "Convenience" trim, no sunroof, no heated seats, rear seats don't adjust fore or aft or recline and when you lower the sun visor it blocks half the rear-view mirror, and just trying to tune the radio was an exercise in madness. The Jetta Sportwagen we drove cost the same and was practically loaded, everything except sunroof and nav.

I guess the search goes on.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

There is another Encore. Hard to find but you never know. I bet it is less than 28K.
Attachments
renault-encore-14-08.jpg
renault-encore-14-08.jpg (40.26 KiB) Viewed 7276 times
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

DeClercq wrote: I wouldn't mind looking at a CX-5, but the closest Mazda dealer is over an hour away.
I think you should make the drive. Looks like you can get a very nice CX-5 for about 25K !
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Subaru Forrester or Imprezna; Chevy Equinox; Toyota Rav4; Ford Escape; Honda Civic; Honda Fit
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Chiadog wrote:
DeClercq wrote: I wouldn't mind looking at a CX-5, but the closest Mazda dealer is over an hour away.
I think you should make the drive. Looks like you can get a very nice CX-5 for about 25K !
I'm sure we'll still look at a CX-5. We're heading to my parent's house next week in MD and there is a Mazda dealer a couple miles from them so we may pop in for a test drive.
jake75 wrote:Subaru Forrester or Imprezna; Chevy Equinox; Toyota Rav4; Ford Escape; Honda Civic; Honda Fit
Forester is still on the list, but like the Mazda dealer, closest one is over an hour away. There is a Carmax in the same area as the dealers, so we may go there and look at multiple options. We don't need a "new" car (though that would be nice). We'd like to keep our payments reasonable so we're also looking at newer used cars under 35K miles or so as well.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
jake75

Post by jake75 »

My used vs. new sermon. Dealers are lucky to make $500 gross on a new car; they make $2,000 + on a used car. In 2004 CarMax offered me $8,000 for my 2004 T&C. I sold it privately for $11,500. Prices on CarMax lot were $13-14,000 for comparable. A couple years ago I had a low mileage Buick Century in an estate. CarMax offered $4,500. I told the Executor they were stealing it. We ended up getting $7,500 in a private sale. CarMax retails for comparables were about $12,000. Buy a used car, drive it around the block and see what the dealer will offer you to buy it back. They probably depreciate % wise as much or more than a new car. Recently I had an elderly lady client who moved out of state - left her 2001 Kia Sportage with 81,000 miles for me to sell for her. Though the timing belt and water pump were replaced at 76,000 miles It had some electrical issues (evidently even when new looking at the CarFax) and the engine light was on. I didn't want to sell it to a private party who might blame me if it was a lemon. A used car dealer offered $600. I thought that was way too low but when asking her she said "that's an awful lot for that car." So I sold it to the dealer. That dealer cleaned it up, sanded the rust off the hubcaps and but don't know what else. It is on his lot for $2,990. All things considered given today's used car market and low interest rates if you can swing it I think buying new is no more expensive in the long run than buying used unless you happen upon a good one for sale by owner at a price no more than $500 over Black Book. Buying a warranty on a used car comparable to that included in a new car purchase will set you back $2,000 or more. A new car has all new wear parts that are not covered by any warranty - tires, brakes, belts, battery, struts etc. etc. You are likely to get 3 or more years on a new car without any downtime. Having car repairs done is more than just the cost - it is the time and aggravation too. And a 2014 is going to be worth a lot more come 2019 than a 2009.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

Right On Jake! Your advice was valid ten years ago, and even more so today. Since Cash-for-Clunkers, used car prices have been totally out of whack! Besides, there are just too many ways to get screwed on a late model used car.
meinmi

Post by meinmi »

Just to make things interesting here's a vote "for" buying used. At the age of 55 I have never bought a new car and don't plan to. I drive between 45,000 and 55,000 miles a year, mostly highway miles. I either pay cash for a car or finance at most 18 to 24 months. You can see that even if I traded a new car yearly the depreciation would be fairly brutal. Compare that to my Vibe, my most recent purchase. It is a 2006 purchased in December 2011 with 70,000 miles on it. I spent 2 months browsing on line to find a Vibe equipped the way I wanted, mostly leather seats and an automatic trans. I paid $8,000 cash. I had my mechanic check the car out top to bottom before buying; he found no troubles. Fast forward to today. The car has 191,000 miles on it. My total repairs are front brake pads and rotors, one set of tires, new windshield wipers every year, and synthetic oil changes every 5,000 miles. This mirrors our other two vehicle purchases in the last 8 years: a 2005 Chevy Colorado bought with 77,000 miles which now has 302,000, and a 2005 Hyundai Santa Fe bought with 51,000 miles that now has 120,000. All were 3 or more years old when we bought them, all had less than 75,000 miles, and the combined total cost of their purchase and all repairs for all three cars is just under $30,000. So for the price of a single new Encore decently equipped we have three cars which give us low cost reliable transportation. If you WANT a new car you should absolutely buy one every time; just don't pass it off as the ONLY smart decision.
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Sounds like you may fit this exception - "unless you happen upon a good one for sale by owner at a price no more than $500 over Black Book".
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

In short not a good deal to get a used car (especially if it has 100,000 miles or more), better for your finances to get new, to be on the safe side?
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

DeClercq wrote:I wouldn't mind looking at a CX-5, but the closest Mazda dealer is over an hour away. There are no used ones nearby. There is a 2010 Mazda3 s hatchback at a local dealer we may go look at. Only concern with the 3 is the roominess (or lack thereof) of the rear seats. We still have two kids in booster seats so that is something to consider. My wife isn't big on KIA (don't know why, she's never driven or even sat in one). There are 3 Elantra GT's here at the Hyundai dealer, but all north of $20k, one was $25k. Seems like a lot of money to me for a small hatchback.
My sister got a manual one and loves it. Says it's got a great turning radius.

The '10 M3 sounds great. The roominess might not be so bad as you'd expect. When I grew up, we always used sedans and the little I can remember from my dad's old...Lumina? The sedan, not minivan (we had one of those too, though, later)...anyway, I don't remember being crowded, but I do remember complaining I WANT OUT, TAKE IT OFF. I sat in the middle.

Speaking of "28k nice," just found out my dad's old impala (Imba Impala), the 2004 LS one, was bought for $28k fully-loaded sans S/C. That car...is a POS. I hate it so much. I don't see how it was worth $28k EVER. It is the crappiest car I've ever been in that didn't reek of urine or have tobacco spit stains everywhere. The interior has just plain fallen apart etc etc. So I get where you're coming from when you say "not $28k nice." I can definitely see why the Impala is worth only about $4.4k in excellent condition vs. a vibe base of the same year is worth 7k (KBB). (that's some insane depreciation there, I'm giggling over it.)
Last edited by lannvouivre on Mon Jul 07, 2014 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

Before I bought my Vibe I went to True Delta and posted my requirement for a new ride. I received some very useful ideas.

http://www.truedelta.com/my-next-car" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

She decided on a '14 Elantra GT. Think we got a good deal: $1,500 cash back plus $500 military cash (I'm a veteran) plus $500 competitive car cash (since I own a non-Hyundai vehicle). Add in the almost $8000 from insurance and we ended up financing a little over $11k. We pick it up tomorrow.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

DeClercq wrote:She decided on a '14 Elantra GT. Think we got a good deal: $1,500 cash back plus $500 military cash (I'm a veteran) plus $500 competitive car cash (since I own a non-Hyundai vehicle). Add in the almost $8000 from insurance and we ended up financing a little over $11k. We pick it up tomorrow.
My sister has an Elantra GT and she LOVES it. It's a manual and it replaced a Mazda 626 she had. I look forward to hearing more about it for my records.
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

Here it is, with all of 15 miles on it. Even base models come pretty well equipped - heated seats, Bluetooth w/voice recognition, 3-mode selectable steering (sport, comfort, normal), plus all the usual power goodies. It's got a 2.0L with 173 hp and 6sp auto. Curiously though it does not have auto-on headlights, those you have to turn on the old fashioned way.

Windows are getting tinted tomorrow and that dealer sticker will be coming off.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
kostby

Post by kostby »

Nice! Hyundai is building some fine looking cars, and that GT looks like a great replacement and a nice upgrade to the Vibe.

Viewing some pics online, the dash instrument cluster, entertainment stack, and console of the GT look like they were done the same interior designer who did the Ford Focus, Escape, and C-MAX.

My wife's niece and her husband have owned a Sonata sedan for several years, and have had no problems with it.

You might want to start a 'DeClerq's Elantra GT' thread in The Others forum here, to keep us informed about your longer-term impressions and experiences, like I do with 'kostby's C-MAX thread'. That way when more of us have to replace our Vibes in the future, we'll have some data to look at.
Last edited by kostby on Thu Jul 17, 2014 5:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Nice looking Elantra GT ;)! I agree with Kostby that you should start a thread in the "Others Forum". I look forward to seeing updated pictures with the tinted windows. What % are you going with?
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
trb

Post by trb »

Looks nice! Congrats on the new car. I looked at them shortly after they came out and thought it might be a decent replacement for a Vibe if I had to some day. I wish they would put the 2.0T motor from the Sonata in it. Then it would be a really nice car, especially with a 6 speed manual! :D

Good luck with it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

DeClercq wrote:Curiously though it does not have auto-on headlights, those you have to turn on the old fashioned way.
If it's like most other Hyundais, you can leave the headlight switch in the on position and they'll switch on with the ignition and off when you remove the key and open the driver's door. That is if you want them on all the time. ;) In lieu of DRL's and automatic headlights, I always just left the switch in the headlights on position on back when I owned the Accent.

Congrats on the new ride, it looks sharp! Can't go wrong with any of Hyundai's present offerings. I'm sure this car will give you many years of dependable service. I would have bought another Hyundai without hesitation had I received a more positive experience from the local service departments. :?
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
DeClercq

Post by DeClercq »

ColonelPanic wrote:
DeClercq wrote:Curiously though it does not have auto-on headlights, those you have to turn on the old fashioned way.
If it's like most other Hyundais, you can leave the headlight switch in the on position and they'll switch on with the ignition and off when you remove the key and open the driver's door. That is if you want them on all the time. ;) In lieu of DRL's and automatic headlights, I always just left the switch in the headlights on position on back when I owned the Accent.

Congrats on the new ride, it looks sharp! Can't go wrong with any of Hyundai's present offerings. I'm sure this car will give you many years of dependable service. I would have bought another Hyundai without hesitation had I received a more positive experience from the local service departments. :?
The headlight switch has positions for off, DRL, parking lights only, and "on". I do believe we found that we can leave them on all the time (not sure I want to do that) and they will turn off with the ignition. You can get auto-on headlights I discovered, but they're lumped into some $3000 tech package.
vibenvy wrote:Nice looking Elantra GT ;)! I agree with Kostby that you should start a thread in the "Others Forum". I look forward to seeing updated pictures with the tinted windows. What % are you going with?
Just picked up the car from getting tinted, looks really nice. I believe it's 35% on front windows and hatch, 20% on rear doors and the tiny cargo area windows. I'll try to get some pics tomorrow (kind of cloudy and dreary out right now). I'll see about getting that thread started in the "Others" forum. Thanks everyone for the compliments, I hope it turns out to be a wise investment.

And the 2.0T with a manual would be killer, too bad my wife doesn't know how to drive a manual :( I've tried teaching her...didn't go well.
'09 Mazda5 Grand Touring
moongdss

Post by moongdss »

oh my heart aches for your poor Vibe, but I'm glad no one was hurt and your wife was able to get another car she likes.
Pandora the 2006 Pontiac Salsa Vibe, 17"wheelsMods: tint, "Pandora" windshield decal, front badge skull overlay, rainguards, hoodguard, Projectorz headlite covers, black painted grills, FIAMM dual-tone horns, black grafxwerks overlays, redouts, Genvibe decals, splashguards, scangaugeII, 12v console outlet, DRL interrupt and I turned off that @#$% seat-belt beep! upcoming: red interior LEDs
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

DeClercq wrote:She decided on a '14 Elantra GT. Think we got a good deal: $1,500 cash back plus $500 military cash (I'm a veteran) plus $500 competitive car cash (since I own a non-Hyundai vehicle). Add in the almost $8000 from insurance and we ended up financing a little over $11k. We pick it up tomorrow.
Awesome deal on a very nice hatchback! I like that the GT is large enough to provide decent utility. I look forward to following the thread you start for it. :)
deafanddiabetic

Post by deafanddiabetic »

Old, old, old thread but I love those Elantra GTs, my girlfriend has one.

I'm also a Hyundai fan in general, I had a 1993 Elantra that lasted to 340,000 miles and I STILL sold it for $500 to a neighborhood kid. Original engine, original transmission.