Any Aftermarket Parts To Smooth the Ride?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
gjswaff

Any Aftermarket Parts To Smooth the Ride?

Post by gjswaff »

My wife constantly complains about how rough the ride is with my '09 GT compared to her Mazda 3 HB. I've got to admit, she's right. But there are too many things I like about my Vibe compared to her Mazda. I know those 18" wheels with the low profile tires contribute greatly to that, and I am thinking the next time I need new tires I will search for 17" or even 16" rims with a taller side wall tire. But, is there any aftermarket springs, struts, etc. that would soften the ride, even at a little expense of the handling? I was thinking a slightly taller, softer spring with a bit longer travel would help a bunch, even if it raised my Vibe off the ground a little. I don't drive my Vibe like a race car anyway, I use it more like a SUV than anything.
gtv237

Re: Any Aftermarket Parts To Smooth the Ride?

Post by gtv237 »

You probably have the sport suspension. You could probably downgrade to the standard suspension. That's what I have and it's very smooth.

Increasing the ride height isnt a good idea. It will cause positive camber which will greatly limit your traction in emergency stopping situations.
ParknVibe

Post by ParknVibe »

gjswaff wrote:My wife constantly complains about how rough the ride is with my '09 GT compared to her Mazda 3 HB. I've got to admit, she's right. But there are too many things I like about my Vibe compared to her Mazda. I know those 18" wheels with the low profile tires contribute greatly to that, and I am thinking the next time I need new tires I will search for 17" or even 16" rims with a taller side wall tire. But, is there any aftermarket springs, struts, etc. that would soften the ride, even at a little expense of the handling? I was thinking a slightly taller, softer spring with a bit longer travel would help a bunch, even if it raised my Vibe off the ground a little. I don't drive my Vibe like a race car anyway, I use it more like a SUV than anything.

The only manufacture that is promoting a better ride is Monroe "OESpectrum" Struts and shocks.

PRECISION-TUNED FOR FOREIGN NAMEPLATE APPLICATIONS
The Monroe® OESpectrum® struts are engineered specifically for foreign nameplate vehicles and feature the latest global original equipment valving technologies. Developed through years of research and on-vehicle testing, Monroe OESpectrum units provide an unprecedented level of handling precision and control while filtering out the ride harshness commonly encountered on many foreign nameplate applications. This unique blend of control and comfort is made possible through Tenneco's "Twin Technology Active Control System", an exclusive internal damping control technology first developed for leading global vehicle manufacturers.

Tenneco's Twin Technology consists of its latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), which delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

A wheel/tire change is the cheapest and possibly the most effective "ride softening" modification you can make.
I recently went from 16's to 15's on my 05 base Vibe and the improvement in ride comfort AND handling around town is amazing!
I went from 16" wheels and stock 205-55-16 Uniroyal tires to 15" wheels and 195-65-16 Kuhmo Solus KR21's. The OVERALL circumference is nearly identical, therefore no change to MPH vs RPM, etc. The car rides and drives so much better that I am sure I will not go back to the stock 16's. My reason for going with 15" wheels is two-fold, Economy, $100.00 less per set of 4 tires; and I expect much improved SNOW traction with the narrower tires! I will get to test the latter this Winter.
Good luck,
mr.clutch

Post by mr.clutch »

Giswaff, I drive 08 1st gen but am with Chiadog 205 60 16 is what I run. If I wasn't driving for gas mileage it would be 215/225 60 16 for foot print and side wall height. Living in the pot hole capitol of the world tread width and sidewall height are very important. Just going from 55 series oem to the 60 series was a difference in ride. Myself I am old so when it comes to cornering you could not make a vibe handle like the cars I grew up on (70's Caprice, LTD, New Port real boats ) Any modern car handles great now.
I am sure Vibenvy would be the most informed as I believe she runs 205 60 16 as winter tires and has 09 gt.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Smaller wheels and tires would be the best, easiest and cheapest route to soften the ride. FYI 16" wheels are the absolute smallest wheel that will fit over the huge front brake calipers of the 2009-2010 Vibe GT. We use 16" steel wheels with 205/55/16 tires on both our 2009 Vibe GTs for the winter months and the ride is definitely improved over the OEM 18" wheels and tires. Click the links in my signature to see pictures of how our GTs look with the 16" wheels and tires ;).

Here are a few things to know when looking for wheels for your 2009 Vibe GT:
- Bolt pattern is 5x114.3
- Offset is +39mm
- OEM 18" wheel size is 18"x7" | OEM 18" tire size is 215/45/18
- OEM 17" wheel size is 17"x7" | OEM 17" tire size is 215/45/17
- OEM 16" wheel size is 16"x6.5" (can never remember if it's 6.5" wide or 7" wide :() | OEM 16" tire size is 205/55/16
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
vibrologist

Post by vibrologist »

The only manufacture that is promoting a better ride is Monroe "OESpectrum" Struts and shocks.

PRECISION-TUNED FOR FOREIGN NAMEPLATE APPLICATIONS
The Monroe® OESpectrum® struts are engineered specifically for foreign nameplate vehicles and feature the latest global original equipment valving technologies. Developed through years of research and on-vehicle testing, Monroe OESpectrum units provide an unprecedented level of handling precision and control while filtering out the ride harshness commonly encountered on many foreign nameplate applications. This unique blend of control and comfort is made possible through Tenneco's "Twin Technology Active Control System", an exclusive internal damping control technology first developed for leading global vehicle manufacturers.

Tenneco's Twin Technology consists of its latest Impact Control Valve (ICV), which delivers exceptional control under virtually all driving conditions, and a patented Low Speed Tunability (LST) piston design that isolates impact-related noise, vibration and harshness.
I was looking for some opinions on Monroe struts and came across this post on OESpectrum struts.
Monroe is actually telling that the Sensa-Trac line improves ride comfort:

Monroe® Sensa-Trac® Shock & Struts

ENHANCED CONTROL WITH UNCOMPROMISED RIDE COMFORT
Sensa-Trac products have a proven margin of safety:

Sensa-Trac shocks and struts adjust rapidly to changing road and weight conditions, delivering enhanced control with uncompromised ride comfort.
Sensa-Trac ride control products automatically adjust to changing conditions. They offer superior comfort for normal driving and deliver extra control when operating conditions get more demanding.

I wonder if anyone can tell how much improved ride comfort will be with Sensa-Trac struts.
Vibrologist
'05 Vibe

"It is important to know the difference between 'accurate' and 'precise' even if you are neither!"

viewtopic.php?f=30&t=43476