Transmission problem?? 09 GT

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
glhboy

Transmission problem?? 09 GT

Post by glhboy »

I bought an 09 GT automatic with 45,000 miles on it back in January and have recently noticed within the last month the transmission has been acting odd lately. What is most noticeable is when I come to a stop, the transmission feels like it downshifts after I stop, like a jerking motion for the whole car. It has been doing this a lot lately, but not all of the time. I also notice sometimes when I kick down the gas pedal to pass a car, that once in awhile it won't downshift into passing gear. Not sure if it's related or not. Unfortunately I am past the powertrain warranty at this point and wanted to see if this has happened to others with the newer GT?
trb

Re: Transmission problem?? 09 GT

Post by trb »

Mine is a bit slow on the downshifts (of course I prefer a manual trans!) and is a bit jerky, but it has not been too bad. It has gotten a bit more noticeable the past few months, so I might be taking it in before my 5 yrs is up in August. I will be changing the fluid again (drain & refill with ~ 4 quarts) soon, so maybe that will help. How is your fluid? Has it been changed? The prior owner could have abused it so changing the fluid might be a good first step.

One thing I have noticed is used transmissions for these cars are not too expensive. I've found several local to me for around $600 with under 50K miles, so if mine does end up going out after the warranty, I will be changing it myself.

Good luck on it!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Sounds like you may want to contact your local GM dealer and have them do the computer re-flash for the "harsh downshift" issue. I had this done on both our 2009 GTs a few years ago and it really made a difference.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

Whoa! I had no idea this existed! Thanks Carrie! I'm definitely going to have this done next time on my '09 because of the harsh downshift.

Are these done free of charge when you're out of warranty?
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

09vGT wrote:Whoa! I had no idea this existed! Thanks Carrie! I'm definitely going to have this done next time on my '09 because of the harsh downshift.

Are these done free of charge when you're out of warranty?
You're very welcome Ethan! Yes, it won't cost you anything. It's a TSB (Technical Service Bulletin) which is similar to a recall.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage