New member looking for some mod info.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
zackkickit

New member looking for some mod info.

Post by zackkickit »

Hello my name is zack I have a 2006 base vibe fwd automatic. and I have read the poor mans guide but was unsure if everything there would work on my particular vibe. For instance the throttle body spacer will it work with a (dbw). Also I was thinking rather then the cosmo ram air using the typhoon ram air with heat shield. PLZ let me know any info you guys have. Image
Doug14

Re: New member looking for some mod info.

Post by Doug14 »

There are 2 different Throttle body spacers, I believe the one shown on the Poor Man's Guide is for the 03-05 with the original cable throttle body. There is one for the DBW ( 05-08) Vibes, but is trickier to find. The typhoon is for the 03-05 vibes if i recall. you will either have to fiddle around with PCV hoses or install a breather filter. For the amount of money, Cosmo all the way. If you Dont like the filter it is swap-able with any other brand.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I wouldn't mess with the TB spacer. It's not worth the noise and hassle,
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
zackkickit

Post by zackkickit »

Doug14 wrote:There are 2 different Throttle body spacers, I believe the one shown on the Poor Man's Guide is for the 03-05 with the original cable throttle body. There is one for the DBW ( 05-08) Vibes, but is trickier to find. The typhoon is for the 03-05 vibes if i recall. you will either have to fiddle around with PCV hoses or install a breather filter. For the amount of money, Cosmo all the way. If you Dont like the filter it is swap-able with any other brand.

The one I was looking at was the K&N Performance Intake 69-8601TR. Just about any where I search its listed as compatible with 2003-2006.

thanks for the info on the throttle body spacer I was reading on a couple of sites that the spacer was not really worth it.
Last edited by zackkickit on Thu May 15, 2014 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

2003-4 base and 2005-8 base models have different hoses. the 03-4 models have a small inlet before the MAF sensor, and the 05-8 models have a very large one after the MAF for the breather hose. You may be able to plug the inlet nipple on the K&N intake and put a breather filter on the breather hose and vent it to the atmosphere.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
zackkickit

Post by zackkickit »

lannvouivre wrote:2003-4 base and 2005-8 base models have different hoses. the 03-4 models have a small inlet before the MAF sensor, and the 05-8 models have a very large one after the MAF for the breather hose. You may be able to plug the inlet nipple on the K&N intake and put a breather filter on the breather hose and vent it to the atmosphere.

Im sorry man I dont really know much about this so I have now idea what your saying.
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

zackkickit wrote:

Im sorry man I dont really know much about this so I have now idea what your saying.
I know in our age of faceless internet personas that it is sometimes hard to tell but lannvouivre is a girl. She is saying that although the typhoon will "fit" the vibe it is not ideal for your generation (05-08) due to changes to the intake hose involving the size and location of the ports used. Since there is a difference in the design you will have to adapt the typhoon to work with the different hose locations. Without doing so you will likely get a CEL or have your car not idle properly but If your heart is set on the Typhoon it is certainly possible. Although I will say again: COSMO is much cheaper and is still better quality than "ebay brands". Hope this helps! :)
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Doug14 wrote: I know in our age of faceless internet persona's that it is sometimes hard to tell but lannvouivre is a girl.
Ya gotta love the surprises that this forum brings out in all of us :lol: Yes she's a girl, VERY knowledgeable, and knows her S H I T about Vibes !!!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
zackkickit

Post by zackkickit »

I am so sorry about that lannvouivre I didn't realize that and I didn't mean to offend anyone. Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know that the typhoon would be that much trouble. I mostly wanted it because it looked a little cooler.
The cosmo intake says *Fits on 03-04 VVT-i engine ONLY; can not fit on 05+ models. will it still fit mine though?
Also does anyone know where I could get everything I need from step 2 on the poor mans guide? I have pricing on about everything else.

cosmo SRI 95.50
DC sport headers about 347.97. http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid= ... &_from=R40" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
magnaflow catback exhaust 552.39. http://www.carid.com/2006-pontiac-vibe- ... 81836.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lighter alternator and crank pulleys 253.93. http://www.unorthodoxracing.com/pulley-set-4798" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

canuck mothersports lowering springs 99.95. http://www.canuckmotorsports.com/cat_ca ... tml#Toyota" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
progress rear sway bar 135.00. http://www.monkeywrenchracing.com/produ ... ts_id=1205" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Still looking for A nice looking good upper strut bar
Doug14

Post by Doug14 »

[quote="zackkickit" Thanks for the info guys, I didn't know that the typhoon would be that much trouble. I mostly wanted it because it looked a little cooler.
The cosmo intake says *Fits on 03-04 VVT-i engine ONLY; can not fit on 05+ models. will it still fit mine though?
[/quote]

I agree, looks much cooler, especially in the red with our colour of vibe. I ordered my Cosmo intake directly from their website, there were intakes made for all versions of first gen vibes (03-08) when I did. Keep up the good work! Reading up on this forum will make you very knowledgeable about the vibes and their counterparts!
zackkickit

Post by zackkickit »

Doug14 wrote:I agree, looks much cooler, especially in the red with our colour of vibe. I ordered my Cosmo intake directly from their website, there were intakes made for all versions of first gen vibes (03-08) when I did. Keep up the good work! Reading up on this forum will make you very knowledgeable about the vibes and their counterparts!

Thanks i really hope this site does. I keep looking but just cant seem to find the parts from step 2 of the poor mans guide.
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

zackkickit wrote:I am so sorry about that lannvouivre I didn't realize that and I didn't mean to offend anyone.
No problem, my gender identity only matters to me when people try to use it to get in my way or when it inspires other women to do stuff everyone tries to tell them is impossible :P I play online games a lot so usually I keep it secret, unless there's another girl :shock:

I'm pleased that you guys think I know stuff, that tickles me pink! Course, I'm studying to become an automotive technician so I guess I'd BETTER know some things, considering I only need to take electronics, welding, and speech to finish my degree.

I found the CR SRI for the base/XR Matrix here:
http://www.cosmoracing.com/productinfo. ... 6&pid=1874" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Info on the 1ZZ-FE engine:
03-04 had different emission requirements and drive by cable, which is where a steel cable controls the position of the throttle. Looks like this (mechanical throttle body):
http://i1.ytimg.com/vi/mfauGoGXCmo/maxresdefault.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

2005-2008 had drive by wire and a different breather setup; this is what the electronically operated throttle body looks like:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_Q5a8gMhPrcQ/T ... G_0388.JPG" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Trim levels and the 1ZZ-FE engine/engine bay: base FWD Vibe and XR and base trim Matrix have the same engine and layout. AWD 1ZZ-FE engines have a different exhaust manifold and changes in the block to mount the different transaxle.

Basically, what this means to you is:
2003-2004 Base Vibe, base and XR Matrix intakes are the same, and probably the Corollas from the same years will work as well. This is because the engine bay and engine are the same between these cars and trim levels. The XR Matrix just has fancier looks and they didn't seem to change anything in the engine/bay.

2005-2006 Base Vibe, base and XR Matrix and base/S Corolla intakes are the same.

2003-2008 FWD base and XR Matrix and FWD base Vibe exhaust manifolds are the same.

2003-2008 AWD Matrix and Vibes have the same exhaust manifolds. The blocks of the AWD engines have different molds on the outside to mount the AWD transaxle.

Terms:
Exhaust manifold: carries the exhaust gases from the engine to the exhaust system and catalytic converters.
Transaxle: A transmission with the axle built-in as one unit, where the engine is mounted right by the drive axle(s). Allows the engine to send power to the wheels.
PCV: Positive crankcase ventilation. It's part of emissions and venting gases that spill past the pistons into the crankcase; buildup of these gases is BAD. On your car, it's located at the top of this diagram with black writing:
https://scontent-b-ord.xx.fbcdn.net/hph ... 9312_n.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(ignore the bottom drawing, I still haven't seen 03-04 engines to know how their emissions stuff works)
The valve is very easy to remove and clean or replace. You can go to the auto parts store, remove your plastic cover, remove the valve, and carry it in to buy a replacement (I recommend bringing it in to make sure they give you the right part).
Breather hose: This hose carries gases from inside the valve cover back to the intake to be burned again. It's in red on the diagram I linked before, and is also for emissions.

Regarding step 2 in the poor man's guide, you might consider not getting piggyback management unless you've done forced induction (supercharger, turbocharger--real ones, not the electronic silliness sold on ebay) or major engine mods (different compression ratios, larger injectors). The exhaust and intake won't be enough to warrant the cost of the engine management alone. Dynotuning, by the way, is something like $400-600 for the first visit and $75-125 or so on later visits to the same shop (or so I am told...I'll find out soonish). If I get enough money rolling in, I can get my AEM FIC and go in for tuning to see how much of a gain I get with just that.

Engine management makes changes to fuel usage, timing, and ignition. The things that really need this are amounts of air and fuel available exceeding what the stock computer can safely adjust for. For airflow, I think the only way you can really accomplish this with these engines is with forced induction and big cams (which need tuning to get the best bang--the cams, I mean). Not completely positive; I have more interest in forced induction which hands-down NEEDS engine management so I haven't looked much into what it takes for naturally-aspirated. Additionally, my classes don't go over anything but factory setups, so aftermarket systems and tuning are completely ignored.

One last thing, I was able to do a custom axle-back exhaust for $100 labor + $40 exhaust tip (it was free for xmas) and a $40 muffler, rather than getting the Magnaflow system.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit