Took the plunge. New 04 Vibe owner. :)

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
mesohungry

Took the plunge. New 04 Vibe owner. :)

Post by mesohungry »

Hello,

Last weekend I saw a local dealership had a 2004 base Vibe for $4999. Got them to knock $500 off the price for minor items that I pointed out and drove off with the car for $5,150 cash. :D
I was looking for something with better gas mileage than my 05 Sebring. It's only giving me 22-24 MPG (highway).
In November I bought an 06 Cobalt coupe that was giving me 35 MPG, but some lady T-boned me in March. She claimed she didn't see the bright yellow cobalt in the intersection. lol

Anyway, the Vibe has only 87,000 miles which is pretty good for a 10 year old car.
Paint still looks nice & shiny. Only a slight bit of paint has peeled from one of the doors about the size of a dime.
Aside from a few minor issues that I'll be taking care of in the coming weeks, the car looks & drives great.
By the way, where can I pick up a hood prop rod online? That's one of the minor issues I need to fix. :D

tpollauf

Re: Took the plunge. New 04 Vibe owner. :)

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe :D Kudos on posting pics right away! Looks to be in pretty good shape and it is the BEST color too! Visit often and enjoy the ride
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
eskimos44

Post by eskimos44 »

Nice find, great price... Not sure what I'm more jealous of, your car or the sweet palm tree in the background... :D
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

Ha, I didn't even notice the palm tree when I was there. :lol:

I got to work on the minor issues already.
I had a missing driver's side bezel for the power window switch.
I picked one up on Amazon's website and it showed up this morning. Unfortunately, the switch also had 2 broken tabs where the lower screws go.
I had some InstaMorph (moldable plastic) laying around so I heated some up & fixed the problem.
I also picked up 3 bulbs from Radio Shack to fix the stereo's LCD which I hear is a very common problem. LCD is completely black except when I position the car just at the right angle in the sunlight.

Here's the InstaMorph as it was drying onto the switches. After it dried completely, I secured it with some epoxy and added the 2 screws. Works great for a quick fix. I'm not sure how it'll hold up to the 100+ degree heat we sometimes get here in Bakersfield, California but I guess I'll find out pretty soon. :)

hotbug1776

Post by hotbug1776 »

soup can lid mod.
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

I saw pics of that mod the other day. Didn't think it would work here since the two screw mounts at the bottom were both broken off completely. Hopefully this InstaMorph holds. :)
zythr

Post by zythr »

Hi. Welcome. Nice Vibe, and a 2004 at that, with the nice grill :)
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

Wow in the 80s for millage and in Kalifornia, should not have any rust problems, and your state's smog checks at least it should be well in tune, good find. Over here no one seems to be selling even a 2003 with over 140,000 to 180,000 miles for less than $4,950.00. Also unlike a lot of other places, I have never found one in the junk yards around central AR. Welcome to the club.
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

I don't see them for sale here very often. I was surprised at the low price and mileage. I bought it because of the Toyota engine. The color is nice too. :)
There a lot of very minor issues I have to take care of, but it's still worth the purchase price.

· The hood prop rod is missing. Don't know why someone would take it off.
· The black trim panel on the passenger door is missing a couple of body clips so it rattles on the highway.
· The driver's window switch was broken and the cover missing (already fixed).
· Transmission fluid is brown (fluid, filter & gasket will be done this weekend).
· Sounds like one of the wheel bearings is worn out (will also be fixed this weekend).
· Can't see the stereo's LCD. I already bought the LED's. Just need to remove & replace them.
· Stereo antenna is missing (already ordered a replacement).
· There are no floor mats or cargo mat (already ordered a set).

That's about it. Interior still looks new. Aside from a few rattles somewhere behind the dash, everything is perfect (or soon will be). :lol:
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

The OEM radio back lights are not LEDs they are bulbs, there is a great post on this site on how to change them.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did it for my wife's car, used the bulbs form AutoZone and it is brighter than the radio shack bulbs.
My wife used my cargo mat as a pattern and made one from Wal-Mart material for her car and the daughter's car $10.00 each.
My 2004 had a broken antenna and I got one at the parts store for less than $10.00, not OEM but fits, works and looks good.
I wish someone would make a piston replacement for the hood rod, maybe they do, I need the fender gourmet for mine.
Hope the dash rattle is not the flap motor for the A/C, did that myself, was not all that hard to do, but could make you cuss once or twice getting to the flap motor screws. Cheap fix on that is 180 the plastic gear.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Nice find. The car is 80% Toyota and 20% Pontiac (the 20% with give you 80% of the problems...LOL). Toyota reliability with GM depreciation.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
zythr

Post by zythr »

Salsa Guy wrote:Nice find. The car is 80% Toyota and 20% Pontiac (the 20% with give you 80% of the problems...LOL). Toyota reliability with GM depreciation.

In all fairness. Pontiac was the best of GM's divisions, IMO, since Pontiac is gone, no more GM for me.
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Nice find! Put some wax on that Vibe paint to keep it shiny! That California sun can be brutal!

Is it a manual or automatic? Fixes on this car are pretty easy. Great reliability... whether Toyota or Pontiac parts. Get those fluids changed as soon as possible. Go synthetic if you can. Take a look at the engine air filter and cabin air filter. I've never seen a Vibe under $8,000... who do you know? Nice going!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

vibolista wrote:Nice find! Put some wax on that Vibe paint to keep it shiny! That California sun can be brutal!

Is it a manual or automatic? Fixes on this car are pretty easy. Great reliability... whether Toyota or Pontiac parts. Get those fluids changed as soon as possible. Go synthetic if you can. Take a look at the engine air filter and cabin air filter. I've never seen a Vibe under $8,000... who do you know? Nice going!
I wanted a manual transmission, but at this price and mileage, I don't mind that it's an automatic.

Looks like the previous owner took good care of the exterior. Polish & waxing will be done soon to keep it looking nice. :)

I picked up air filter, cabin air filter, wheel bearings, transmission filter and pan gasket from rock auto. They should arrive tomorrow and will be taken care of this weekend. :)
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

kc6yot wrote:The OEM radio back lights are not LEDs they are bulbs, there is a great post on this site on how to change them.
viewtopic.php?f=17&t=26889" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Did it for my wife's car, used the bulbs form AutoZone and it is brighter than the radio shack bulbs.
I had already picked up some Radio Shack bulbs based on some quick google seaching.
Looking at that thread, it seems like the "74" bulbs last longer. When looking at the description of the bulbs online, I found this to be of importance: "Able to withstand road shock and vibration"

Thanks for pointing out that thread. I'll be going with the "74" bulbs instead. :D
kc6yot wrote:My 2004 had a broken antenna and I got one at the parts store for less than $10.00, not OEM but fits, works and looks good.
I picked up a red aluminum & carbon fiber one from ebay. Now I get more than 5 radio stations. :)
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

zythr wrote:
Salsa Guy wrote:Nice find. The car is 80% Toyota and 20% Pontiac (the 20% with give you 80% of the problems...LOL). Toyota reliability with GM depreciation.

In all fairness. Pontiac was the best of GM's divisions, IMO, since Pontiac is gone, no more GM for me.
I was more of an OLDS and Buick guy. But since they made FWD I wouldn't own one (The mid 80's Buick Rivera T-Type was cool). The Pontiac GTO was AWESOME imho.
Last edited by Salsa Guy on Fri May 02, 2014 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

Stereo is done.
Here's a before picture, bulb replacement, and finished product.
I broke a wire removing the front panel. Wasn't a big deal and I soldered it back on. :D
zythr

Post by zythr »

Salsa Guy wrote:
zythr wrote:

I was more of an OLDS and Buick guy. Gut since they made FWD I wouldn't own one (The mid 80's Buick Rivera T-Type was cool). The Pontiac GTO was AWESOME imho.

You were? Both made some interesting cars. I agree the Riveria was a nice car, along with the Caddy Eldorado of the same time frame.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Sounds like you got a pretty darn good deal on your "new" Vibe! Props on posting pictures right away! Glad to see you have already been able to fix some issues with your Vibe thanks to this site. Best of luck with your Vibe ;)!
zythr wrote:In all fairness. Pontiac was the best of GM's divisions, IMO, since Pontiac is gone, no more GM for me.
I couldn't agree more! When GM killed off Pontiac, they lost my business forever. All I've ever driven is Pontiacs; 1994 Sunbird LE Sedan, 2002 Sunfire GT Coupe, 2002 Sunfire SE Sedan and now the Vibe. I love Pontiacs :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
kc6yot

Post by kc6yot »

I am glad you found this site and the radio link was good for you. So far every thing I have had to fix myself on my three Vibes I found what I needed here. If you ever want to give up that ten year old clunker let me know, Would give me a reason to fly out to CA, see my old ship in San Diego and take the slow drive back home. I didn't leave anything behind when I left there but would not mind visiting again. AM, Rock Auto and E-bay still have plenty of parts and pieces at dirt cheap prices with free shipping. Also take it to a GM dealer and make sure they check the VIN for recalls and get them all done, it is free, ECM module and window bolts on some years.
mesohungry

Post by mesohungry »

This site has been very helpful in the few weeks that I've been here.
I've already fixed my stereo, fixed my pink vibe emblem with a new overlay thanks to a link I found here, and even fixed my A/C even though I didn't know it was broken. lol

I noticed the A/C wasn't pushing alot of air in the low & medium settings. It wasn't as cold as I thought it should be either, but I assumed it was just how this car was made. Thanks to a post I found here, I found out the blend door wasn't closing all the way.
Now I get more air and it blows colder. :D :)

I registered with GM a couple weeks back and was notified of a recall so I'll be taking care of it pretty soon as well.
I"m glad I came across this site while researching the Vibe before actually buying it. 8-)