2009 key fob

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
PhilYLF

2009 key fob

Post by PhilYLF »

Does anyone know if any other key fob can be programmed for a 2009 vibe? I don't really want to pay $60 for the key combo thing but that's all I can find so far that says it's compatible. I was hoping maybe a generic model or a previous year would work.
Caretaker

Re: 2009 key fob

Post by Caretaker »

while I am not 100% positive, I do know that my local hardware store now performs that function. So I would think that you no longer have to go to the dealer to get a fob
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

PhilYLF wrote:Does anyone know if any other key fob can be programmed for a 2009 vibe? I don't really want to pay $60 for the key combo thing but that's all I can find so far that says it's compatible. I was hoping maybe a generic model or a previous year would work.
Unfortunately the $60 range is considered GOOD and go with it. When we bought Juniors 2009 Vibe GT three years ago it only came with ONE key and we found a few places online selling replacement new fobs. When you get it you'll have to get it cut at any place that cuts keys BUT be very careful who you take it to as the bulky plastic housing containing all the buttons can hamper the jig holding the metal portion of the key. I had a friend who owns locksmith equipment and trusted him to cut it. One side he cut just fine BUT the other did not as the key "jumped" out of his jig and cut too much. We simply now have to position that particular key in the ignition switch in one direction only in order for the car to start. Let us know what you end up doing & good luck!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
trb

Post by trb »

Does your car have the Security option? My 2010 also only had one key, and since it does not have the security feature, I had a regular key made for it w/o the fob until I could find a deal on ebay for a fob key. I kept watching and looking for keys until I found one that no one had bid on, and I got it for about $35 total. Took me a couple of weeks, but it was worth the savings. I always use my esnipe account on ebay so I place my bid at the last few seconds so as to not run the price up early.

As for programming it to work the locks, that is easy. There are the steps on here that work. But again, if it is a security key, it will still have to be programmed to work with the ignition by a dealer or locksmith.

Good luck!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
PhilYLF

Post by PhilYLF »

It doesn't have the security so I have normal keys that work in the ignition that's why I'm not really interested in the key combo thing. I just want a couple of generic key fobs that I can lock and unlock the car with. I found the steps to programming a key fob I just can't seem to find any key fobs that say they are compatible with the 2009. I was just curious if anyone had any luck with an older model key fob or a generic one for a Toyota or something.
trb

Post by trb »

It all depends on the FCC ID #. My fob is G04-29T or GQ4-29T, it's not real clear to me, but the key/fob combos both come up on ebay as the only fobs for the 2009-2010 Vibe and Matrix. Best to open yours and check it. Looks like the prices have dropped since I bought mine as I see several for prices in the $24 range with an uncut key. That is probably going to be your best bet.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &
PhilYLF

Post by PhilYLF »

Oh thanks I havnt seen them for that cheap. Can you post a link?
trb

Post by trb »

This seller has several keys listed ending over the next several days:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-UNCUT-KEYLESS ... c3&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2004 Satellite Vibe &