New '03 Vibe owner

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
vtvibe

New '03 Vibe owner

Post by vtvibe »

Hi,

I'm new to the forum and to my car--

It's an '03 base model 5 speed manual. Had 141K on it when I bought it, and had already had the bearings and trans replaced.

It has an aftermarket CD player in it that I don't like (clock doesn't seem to work, and I want/need an AUX input), so my first learning project will be seeing if I can replace that on my own...I'm a novice on this front but I can learn.

Bought it in Virginia and drove it home to Vermont where it has a head start on rusting. I had been driving a '96 Accord for years that I haven't been able to get inspected this past year due to all sorts of rust issues, especially the body/frame. So far I seem to be getting similar gas mileage to my old car (also manual trans), but I'm hoping as I get to know it more I'll find the sweet spots for shifting and it will get even better. Right now it's mud season and I live up a steep hill, with huge sticky soupy ruts in the dirt (mud) road, so it's been taking a lot more to get me home!

I'm looking forward to using this forum as a resource so I can take better care of my car, and hopefully get so I can do some of the basic maintenance myself.

Cheers!
Jane
Attachments
It snowed the day after I bought it...I don't have snow tires yet...
It snowed the day after I bought it...I don't have snow tires yet...
100_3872.jpg (56.02 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
00D0D_3hKOXqhsJtK_600x450.jpg
00D0D_3hKOXqhsJtK_600x450.jpg (51.85 KiB) Viewed 1128 times
WhgVibe

Re: New '03 Vibe owner

Post by WhgVibe »

Welcome to Gen Vibe...it's a great resource. As for your radio replacement, I use Crutchfield for everything and for any car. They set you up for success by giving you all the expert advice and resources you need. Enjoy your Vibe!
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

Welcome to GenVibe. Looks to be in good shape so far. Visit often :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Hi and Welcome :)

There may be a pending recall in your future.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-news/flawed- ... akers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

That's quite the ride home, in mud and ruts. Great car you have there. If it's in good tune... fresh NGK Iridium plugs, air filter, clean oil and properly inflated tires, this car can get 36 to as much as 40 mpg. I've gotten 40 mph commuting on back roads in Summer at moderate speeds in light traffic. A low rolling resistance tire can help.

In your case, if that rutted dirt road stays rough, you might want to consider a taller tire to give you a little added ground clearance. First generation Vibe can handle a plus sized tire pretty easily. Since I live in Maine, I bought a larger diameter Summer tire for rough roads, as well as my Winter tire for those deep snow days.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
trb

Post by trb »

Welcome! Car looks really good for being over 10 yrs old! As for the radio, that should be an easy project for you, especially since it already has an aftermarket radio. If you are lucky the installer used the correct wiring adapter and antenna adapter so you may not have to worry about that part of it. If you stick with the same type of radio you already have, (thin style, single DIN size or taller double DIN size) you can probably reuse the installation trim kit too. Of course Crutchfield provides all the things you need if you get one of their nicer radios.

As for the wiring, radios use the same color wires for all connections, so it is just as simple as disconnecting your current radio and connecting the same wire colors back to the harness. Soldering the connections is best, but you can twist and tape them or wire crimp them if you want to. And to remove the radio the trim piece pulls right off, and there are 4 bolts that hold the radio in place, then you can pull it out.

Good luck on it and ask any questions you have!

Here is the double DIN my son and I installed in his car:

Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe Jane! That's a pretty sharp looking 1st gen Vibe you've got there! Thanks for posting pictures of it right away ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage