Vibe Recall

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
LavaIlliniVibe

Vibe Recall

Post by LavaIlliniVibe »

http://www.usatoday.com/story/money/car ... s/7497031/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please post any more information you have on this! Thank you!
WhgVibe

Re: Vibe Recall

Post by WhgVibe »

I wonder if will take our cars to a GM or Toyota dealer?
smash

Post by smash »

Lava, thanks for posting this link! Yours was the first one of 6 mass media stories that I read which actually had some reference to details!
There is an embedded link in the USA Today story to an AutoNews story:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2014040 ... 5782912I8S" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The 3.5-million vehicle spiral cable recall, the largest of the fixes, addresses a cable that can become damaged when the steering wheel turns. This may trigger a warning lamp and deactivate the air bag causing it not to deploy in a crash.

Outside Japan, the spiral cable recall involves certain RAV4, Corolla, Matrix, Yaris, Yaris Sedan, Highlander, Tacoma, Reiz, Hilux, Fortuner, Innova, Land Cruiser Prado and Camry nameplates. It also affects the Pontiac Vibe.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Automatic - Liquid Platinum
smash

Post by smash »

Whgvibe:

According to this article - GM Dealer.

http://www.latimes.com/business/autos/l ... 6686.story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

About 40,500 Pontiac Vibes from the 2009-2010 model years are included in the Toyota recall. Toyota designed and engineered the Vibe for Pontiac. GM will service customers with these vehicles when Toyota makes the parts available.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Automatic - Liquid Platinum
rogue1313

Post by rogue1313 »

Well, I had to replace my clockspring (aka 'spiral cable') about a year ago with only about 80k miles on it....just a few months after I bought the car used......Had the exact issue they describe; broken wire leading to an Airbag Light in the dash........Of course it wasn't under warranty, so I did it myself.....about $100 for a used clock spring + couple other things, and my time......

At least the truth has come to light.......Why yes, I'll take a brand new one please & a check for my $100
Caretaker

Steering Column (bracket) Recall

Post by Caretaker »

I see in the press releases that the current Toyota recall mentions the steering column as well.
Corolla, RAV4, Highlander, and Tacoma, were recalled for issues with steering column stability......
Are you of the understanding that our infamous steering column rattle will be covered by this recall or will GM only do the airbag wiring fix??
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

The now orphaned and unloved (by GM) Vibe will probably not receive any fix of the rattle - unless that was somehow related to the clock spring thingy. We can hope!
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
Capt.Vibe

Re: Steering Column (bracket) Recall

Post by Capt.Vibe »

Caretaker wrote:I see in the press releases that the current Toyota recall mentions the steering column as well.
Corolla, RAV4, Highlander, and Tacoma, were recalled for issues with steering column stability......
Are you of the understanding that our infamous steering column rattle will be covered by this recall or will GM only do the airbag wiring fix??
Yeah, this should have been included in the sweeping GM recall 2 weeks ago considering the part used is the same as the ones recalled. Spoke to a dealer here and no dice, said to call head office... :?
2010 Red Hot Metallic 1SA
Phlorida

Re: Steering Column (bracket) Recall

Post by Phlorida »

Caretaker wrote:I see in the press releases that the current Toyota recall mentions the steering column as well.
The recall notice mentions a steering column bracket. The Technical Service Bulletin that ignored the Vibe was for the intermediate steering shaft. It is interesting to note that the approach that Toyota took to the intermediate shaft issue is the same one that the NTSB complained about in the ignition switch replacement. They changed the part without changing the part number.
2009 Pontiac Vibe Base
2.4L, 5sp Automatic
White
kndietz

Post by kndietz »

Hi all-
This same problem with the airbag light began happening to my Vibe just a few weeks ago. It is an 05 though. Anyone know if that can somehow be covered under the recall? All I can find is 09-10. The exact same thing is happening to me and my mechanic said that this is the issue.
justaskin

Post by justaskin »

A few days ago my dashboard airbag light in my 2009 Vibe came on. GM Canada claims to know nothing about any recall related to this issue. Or at least the "ambassador" (as the talking heads at GM Customer Care Canada are called) said that so far there is no GM recall notice.

When I told him that Transport Canada has issued Recall #2014145 for this very issue covering 17,267 2009/10 Pontiac Vibes in Canada back on April 22nd, he gave me a long story about how recalls are related to specific part numbers and only cars with that part number will be recalled so he can't tell me whether mine will be covered or not.

When I pointed out that Toyota is making an improved version of the spiral cable and asked if GM would replace whatever they put on now with the new one later he simply said my local dealer would be the best person to speak with.

He also said that the local dealer would be the best person to speak with about whether my car is safe to drive in the time before it's fixed.

So, I'm stuck with a dealer claiming no knowledge of the recall and GM's national spokespeople claiming they can't advise me on anything because in the month and a half since Transport Canada issued a recall they haven't been able to fire up a computer to determine which vehicles are affected.

Not a great first experience with GM dealers or GM Canada for someone owning his first GM product. Thankfully I do all my maintenance and as many of my repairs as I can myself.

If anyone else in Canada has had a better experience with this issue I'd love to hear about it so I can attempt to use it as leverage with my local dealer.

I'd also love to hear how challenging it is to change out the spiral cable.

thx.
09vGT

Post by 09vGT »

I've yet to receive my recall letter, so I figured as much.

GM is too busy with ignition switches to worry about airbags right now :P
Viburass

Post by Viburass »

I called Toyota's trouble # and was told....."You have a GM car...." I said, "You made it"...."No, it's a GM car!!!" I have sent 3 E mails to the GM Pontiac trouble shooting site since 4/9/2014 and have received 3 back assuring me that they will be getting back to me ASAP, the last one 2 days ago...I now have a contact with a major news source....we'll see what happens :lol:
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

09vGT wrote:I've yet to receive my recall letter,
Same here ... no notice YET. I did however receive a second notice on the master power window switch recall. Someday, when I open up my door panel to perform LED mods, I'll take the cluster into the dealership and have them get me the new switch! I, me, Tim that is ... will be the only person removing any panels from the inside of my Vibe. I just don't trust anybody else out there.
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
ab2cmiller

Post by ab2cmiller »

Received my recall notice today regarding the spiral cable today. Notice says I will be notified when parts are available.
10vibe

Post by 10vibe »

As noted on another post about this spiral cable recall, "Another Recall coming": viewtopic.php?f=41&t=43187&p=497250#p497250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, received my recall notice today. No parts yet.
2010 Vibe 1.8 auto, fwd, base, air, preferred package, cargo mgt, cargo cover, ultra white.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

10vibe wrote:As noted on another post about this spiral cable recall, "Another Recall coming": viewtopic.php?f=41&t=43187&p=497250#p497250" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, received my recall notice today. No parts yet.
ditto here.
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM