what do i need to know? i want to buy an '03 vibe.

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
magtec

what do i need to know? i want to buy an '03 vibe.

Post by magtec »

thinking about buying this '03 vibe. what issues should i be looking for?

http://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ctd/4374460567.html
Nasmfell

Re: what do i need to know? i want to buy an '03 vibe.

Post by Nasmfell »

Price is too high for the mileage.

Some were oil burners
Manual tranny had issues
Recall for power windows and air bags
magtec

Post by magtec »

was thinking of offering $5k.
how bad is the oil burning?
what kinds of issues with the manual trans?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Price is indeed a bit high for the mileage. That said, Vibe prices in my area (hello fellow Minnesotan!) are inflated compared to the rest of the nation. The 03/04 5-speeds had issues with the bearings. They go, and you need a new transmission. If that hasn't been replaced, then unless you have the know-how and/or are ready to pay to fix the issue, I'd be cautious. Body looks pretty good (faded rear emblem means that the hatch hasn't been repaired).

Here's a few more that look a bit better

03, neptune blue, automatic

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ank/ ... 82231.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

06, red, AWD (close enough to me that I could check it out), still pricey, though AWDs in this area are a premium, and this has lower miles (still negotiate, though).

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/dak/ ... 38348.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

04, red, low price, higher miles, chrome unibrow

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/hnp/ ... 58889.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

03, red, decent miles, priced closer to your range

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/ ... 58723.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keep us updated on your search!
magtec

Post by magtec »

thanks for the links. i'd really like a 5-speed, though.

what's the deal with the rear hatch needing to be repaired?

got specifics on the manual transmission issues?
ColonelPanic

Post by ColonelPanic »

/
magtec wrote:thanks for the links. i'd really like a 5-speed, though.

what's the deal with the rear hatch needing to be repaired?
I think he's saying since the Pontiac arrowhead is pink instead of red, it may not have had any damage back there. I personally witnessed those go from red to pink when the Vibes were new and still sitting on the lot waiting for some lucky customer to take them home. Grafxwerks makes an overlay to correct this flaw. ;)
got specifics on the manual transmission issues?
Search around on the board or even google for Corolla 5-speed bearing failure or the like. Best I can recall they start making noise and it's all downhill from there.

One member here racked up several hundred thousand miles on his '03 5-speed and had at least 2 transmission replacements that I can recall.

Contrary to conventional wisdom, the automatics were the more robust choice in early Vibes. That's not to say they were perfect (had to get mine replaced at 60k when I owned my '03 Vibe.) The slushbox would rarely fail, but when they do it was quite spectacular. Far more 5-speeds kicked the bucket in comparison.
03 Vibe base. Born 10/14/2002 06:07 AM
Auto, Moon & Tunes, power package. 143k
Neptune/dying clearcoat/primer grey. :lol:

'21 Elantra Limited - 2.0L/IVT
'15 Escape SE - 1.6L EcoBoost (hers)
Image Image
magtec

Post by magtec »

ColonelPanic wrote:Contrary to conventional wisdom, the automatics were the more robust choice in early Vibes. That's not to say they were perfect (had to get mine replaced at 60k when I owned my '03 Vibe.) The slushbox would rarely fail, but when they do it was quite spectacular. Far more 5-speeds kicked the bucket in comparison.
thanks for the info. the manual transmission is more of a driving style preference for me, really.
eskimos44

Post by eskimos44 »

Another Minnesotan looking for a Vibe? Go figure....

Demand is high and so are the prices... When I find a listing and call about it, salesman always says it just sold...

Sometimes I find a nice one at a reasonable price, only to find out it has a salvaged title.... Grrr

Good luck in your search, and be quick...
hi-tower

Post by hi-tower »

Fellow Minnesotan here also. I looked at that same vibe (on craigslist). Wanting one with the 5 sp for the winter. I have a GT now that I want to keep nice and gets parked over the winter. Just sold my winter car so I needed to look for something else. I agree the prices here in MN for vibes/matrixs are rather high. When you do find a descent priced one it is salvage title. There is/was one I saw that they wanted $4500 for still and it had like 210,000 miles.
WhgVibe

Post by WhgVibe »

What is the history on the 04 GT's with the 6 spd manual trans? Where they solid?