Advice for used Vibe or Matrix!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
sfr4dr

Advice for used Vibe or Matrix!

Post by sfr4dr »

So quick background; My wife had an 05 vibe auto base model and I had an Integra 5 speed LS and a 95 Rodeo 4X4 POS. The Integra had suspension mods only. It wasn't riced out and I used to autocross on occasion in STS class. We moved to Lake Tahoe so I got a 98 Z71 from a friend and a 03 Outback. We sold the POS Rodeo. Our new cars work great in the snow but needless to say, my old chevy truck is BORING me to death. We plan on keeping it for utility use but want another fun, fuel efficient, cheap car... hence the vibe/matrix search again. It doesn't have to be 4x4. I pushed for a miata with a big turbo but the wife hates them. She doesn't appreciate how fun a dorky little car with 280hp can be. So considering all this, I found an 09 Vibe GT 5spd with 70k for $13.5k OTD. I like the looks better than the older models but the cost is more and I hear they are not as fun to drive as the older ones. I'm assuming the newer one is quieter and more freeway happy for long trips but maybe you guys can offer some info on that. The other one I found is an 03 Matrix XRS 6spd with only 55k. They want a whopping $8,900+fees but it appears to be a total cream puff. So given that I loved my Acura which still only ran a 16 second quarter, and that I'm bored with my old truck, what do you suggest between these two cars? Is the 03 overpriced?
2010 Vibe AWD
Salsa Guy

Re: Advice for used Vibe or Matrix!

Post by Salsa Guy »

The 03 GT is the way to go. You won't be disappointed, 6200 Lift and 180Hp. Run a compression test, you want to see 200+ on all four. Hit Lift after warmed up and make sure there isn't any issues there. If it pops a code and doesn't engage it could be just plugged up. It's an easy fix just messy.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
trb

Post by trb »

Wow, IMO that is a high price for that 09 GT, unless cars are just way more expensive there! In comparison, I paid $12.4K for my 2010 GT, 2 years ago, with 36K miles on it. It was $13.2 OTD. I enjoy it, but would REALLY love a 5 speed in it. I'm sure it would be much more fun if I could really control the gears. That is my one complaint about the car. But I had to get the auto so the rest of the family could drive it. :(

I'm sure the 03 would be more fun since it does have more power, less weight, and better gas mileage than the 09. If it is in great condition, it would be a decent deal. Most of the early Vibe GT's I've seen are around the $6-7K range, but they do have like 100K+ miles on them. I haven't priced any Matrix models in a while, but every time I have, they've been $1-2K more than comparable Vibes.

Good luck on your decision!
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

Thanks for the replies. I'm hoping to check out and drive the XRS if they still have it in two weeks. I can't get there before that. We'll see. The GT is 3.5hrs away so that's a bit far to just cruise down and check out.
2010 Vibe AWD
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Forget Vibe/Matrix and look for a car that has been fun for years, Mazda 3.
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

Nasmfell wrote:Forget Vibe/Matrix and look for a car that has been fun for years, Mazda 3.
I hear ya. That's why I like the turbo miata. They are ridiculous. They're fun in stock form but when you add that much power to a light little rwd car, mayhem ensues. The Mazda 3 is fun. I drove my friends 2.3 stick once. It had good torque. I also like the RSX type S but they are tough to find unmolested and they still fetch a good price.
2010 Vibe AWD
kostby

Post by kostby »

The only thing that comes to mind about the '03 Vibe GT and XRS's is that a number of early owners were reporting clutches needing replacement by 50,000 miles or so. If the XRS still has the original clutch, that might be a significant negotiating point to lower the price further. Though not much info, this article mentions it also: http://www.autos.ca/used-car-reviews/us ... vibe-2003-" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;–-2010/2/

My 2003 Vibe Base Auto 2-tone Salsa "SalsaWagon" was built in May 2002. I acquired it in Feb 2004/Traded it in on a 2016 Honda HR-V in Feb 2018.
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

sfr4dr wrote:
Nasmfell wrote:Forget Vibe/Matrix and look for a car that has been fun for years, Mazda 3.
I hear ya. That's why I like the turbo miata. They are ridiculous. They're fun in stock form but when you add that much power to a light little rwd car, mayhem ensues. The Mazda 3 is fun. I drove my friends 2.3 stick once. It had good torque. I also like the RSX type S but they are tough to find unmolested and they still fetch a good price.

There you go. 3 has had its issues, but overall it is a decent fun car, hence its still relatively high asking price.
troyguitar

Post by troyguitar »

I just bought myself an 05 Vibe GT with leather (rare) and 116k miles for $6k. It is a fun little car and will be even more so with a few simple mods - but if you don't necessarily need the space of the Vibe/Matrix and are OK with spending a little more money I would get a 2007-2011 Civic Si or maybe an older Acura Integra Type R, GS-R, or RSX Type S. Those cars all handle way better than the Vibe and have limited slip differentials which are essential in a fun FWD car. The Vibe is my cargo/people hauler, otherwise I would have gone for the Integra.

One other thing that is not often mentioned is that the 03-06 Vibe GT is one of the latest model year vehicles in the country to still come with an actual mechanically operated cable throttle. That means instant non-smoothed throttle response which makes the car AWESOME to drive compared to any drive-by-wire car I have ever driven.
2005 Vibe GT
2004 Z06
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

You are right. I've drive all of those cars except the Type R and the Vibe GT. The Honda products have great driver feel. The newer SI was a little less so but still a fun car. I'd love a Type R but a clean one fetches about 20k in CA. They are a collectors item. I don't absolutely NEED a hatchback or wagon because we have two other cars, but it's nice. I usually haul my Golden Retriever all over along with bikes, kayaks, snowboards, etc!
2010 Vibe AWD
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

sfr4dr wrote: I found an 09 Vibe GT 5spd with 70k for $13.5k OTD.
This would be the way to go IF the price were down to around $11k. Like trb stated, as well as what I'll state here, we both got bargains when we purchased our used Vibes. My son's Blue Vibe GT (automatic) we got for $13.1K back in April 2011. At that time it was only a 2.5 year old car and had 35k miles on it. Anyways the Red GT is MINE and is a 5-speed manual and totally love it :P So much more fun to drive compared to the automatics. If they'll work on that price then don't rule it out PLUS it sounds like you're from a warmer climate so you may not have the corrosion factor that we have up here in the midwest. Keep us posted on what you end up with!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
sfr4dr

Post by sfr4dr »

Yeah, I think the GT I found is priced too high. It's located in the Bay Area which is why. I'll probably keep an eye out for something cheaper. Corrosion isn't too big of a problem where I live but cars do get pretty beat. This winter was mild but our average winters are measured in hundreds of inches. Thankfully they don't salt the roads and just use sand. Our cars actually get beat up the most from pine cones, branches, and people who don't know how to park or carry their gear at the ski resorts!
2010 Vibe AWD