VSC flashing, Check Engine & Traction Control

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
JerBear

VSC flashing, Check Engine & Traction Control

Post by JerBear »

I have a flashing "VSC Off", Check Engine, and Traction Control lights all coming on at once. I cleared them twice by disconnecting the battery but they keep coming back after 15-25 miles of driving. I have a 09 GT with the 2.4L motor and AT. Does anyone have an idea what this might be? It costs 80 bucks around here just to get the code read and the last time they were wrong and just wasted my money.
vibenvy

Re: VSC flashing, Check Engine & Traction Control

Post by vibenvy »

I have had this problem intermittently with my 2009 GT over the last couple years. With mine it seems to be related to the MAF sensor. I have read on here that for others it seems to be related to the wheel speed sensors. In my experiences it always goes away on its own after a day or so. I am going to clean the wheel speed sensors before I re-install the summer wheels in the spring and see if that makes any difference. My mom's 2009 GT has not experienced these lights coming on at all in the past (almost) 5 years.

More and more I am thinking it's just some weird fluke that causes some Vibes' computers to go heywire momentarily. It doesn't seem to last long or negatively affect anything.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

I had those flashing lights once a few years back. Didn't notice any problem with the car other than one of the brake lights not working. Replaced the bulb and lights went away. I don't know if that has anything to do with it or if it was just a coincidence but that was my experience with these flashing lights lol
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

My vsc, abs, tc and emergency brake lights came on this morning after a mild cold night here in St. Louis. The tc and abs are not working. Going to see if it goes away this evening ( shift work sucks), if not I'll have to take it in to get fixed.

5/5/2014
Update.... Light has since turned off and stayed off. Going to leave it as is and hope it doesn't turn back on.
Dairgo

Post by Dairgo »

Turns out... I was wrong. Turns out it is the wheel hub bearing and the speed sensor. Oh... and Did I mention to get the part, the dealership the repair shop called, had to get the part from 2 states over? yeah... might as well get a second one on order because no one has parts for the GT model....
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

Dairgo wrote:Turns out... I was wrong. Turns out it is the wheel hub bearing and the speed sensor. Oh... and Did I mention to get the part, the dealership the repair shop called, had to get the part from 2 states over? yeah... might as well get a second one on order because no one has parts for the GT model....

:lol: Not so much no one has parts, the brand and model have been discontinued, there is not much use in stocking parts for a brand and model that are no more.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I have yet to have a problem with getting OEM parts through GM for either one of our 2009 GTs, including parts for recalls, but GM accessories are a whole 'nother story :roll:.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Well I got tired of getting ripped off so I bought a code reader to try and figure out what was causing this issue. There was only one code stored on the car it was P0138 that is probably the rear Oxygen sensor and it is relatively easy to replace and not too bad cost-wise either. I have more than in one stupid trip to the stealership and they didn't have a clue how to fix it. I still don't know how or why the Oxygen sensor disengages the VSC and Traction control as well. The check engine light I understand but not the rest. I will stop back when the part gets here and I install it. I hope it works. I cleaned the MAF sensor already but it was clean as a whistle, I've had dirtier spoons at a diner.
musicmanmu

Post by musicmanmu »

This thread I started some time ago might be relevant to the OP's interests:

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=38390" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2009 Vibe GT - Navy Blue Metallic

JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Well so far so good, I replaced the downstream O2 sensor today, 59 bucks delivered to my home. Cleared the codes and went out for a drive, no more dash lights! I do have a hint for anyone replacing the rear sensor on a 09-10 Vibe.

First, follow the sensor wires to its connector. Then remove the connector from its attachment point with a needle nose pliers by squeezing the lower black tabs together and pushing it upward. Pull the cable gently toward you and release the locking tab with a loooong flat blade screwdriver. There is not enough room for two hands to get at the connector, It was the only way to get the sensor disconnected for me. Then slide a box end 7/8ths wrench over the old sensor plug end and remove the sensor. Use never-seize on the new one's threads at install but keep the end of the sensor clean. Clip the female connector back into its base, (the first step you did) and re-install the new sensor tight, but not too tight. There is a crush washer similar to the one at the end of a spark plug that needs to be compressed on the initial install. It will increase rotational torque until it collapses fully and then about 1/8 to 1/4 turn is good enough. You really don't want to break it off or strip the bung connectors threads. Easy peasy, you are done. I apologize for the lack of pics. I have no idea how to post them.
JerBear

Post by JerBear »

Well Vibe lovers, this story has come to a conclusion. It took a lot of work on the car to figure out what it was but it was a bad front oxygen sensor. I have no idea why because the code was P0138 which is the code for the rear sensor but after much gnashing of teeth it has been solved and I hope this helps other people with this issue out there. It seems to be a common problem with Toyota products as I have found with my numerous searches online. I've driven 300 miles so far and the lights are staying off.
THOHM

Post by THOHM »

I'M HAVING THE SAME PROBLEM ON MY 09 2.4L STICK. ANOTHER FORUM TALKED OF MOISTURE ON THE HO2S POST CONNECTOR FROM A EVAP CASE OVERFLOW. DOES ANYONE KNOW WHERE THIS CONNECTOR IS ON A STICK? THE PICTURES IN THE OTHER FORUM WERE EXCELLENT FOR AN AUTOMATIC. MY BEST GUESS FROM THIS FORUM WOULD BE THE FRONT OXY. SENSOR. TO BE CONTINUED.
bikejon

Post by bikejon »

Last night while driving my Check Engine, VCS Off, and Traction Control lights all went on. The car was running fine. This morning I couldn't get half a mile from home when the car *just wouldn't move*! The engine runs, but the car barely crawls down the road. Luckily I was close enough to home to limp home. Am about to call around and see which garage can take it in.

Reading this thread leads me to believe the problems are unrelated? Doesn't sound like anyone with the same warning lights had a disabled Vibe.
scottybon

Post by scottybon »

I just experienced the same problem went to AutoZone had the codes read came back O2 sensors which I think was it right .
I noticed my passenger floor mat have a puddle turned out to be water so the next morning lights are still on engine light and so on and Puddle was still there.
Thought it was odd to be an 80s and still be wet saw a drip coming from under the glove box I pulled the cover off the bottom panel the foam on the panel was soaking wet I pulled the rug up . To reach the AC drain hose separated it in about a half gallon of water came out hose was clogged since I was at work I took a air hose blew out the clock blue where all up into the area to dry it.
I believe part of the Electronics got wet disconnected the battery for two hours left the hood and everything open the dry reconnected the battery lights are off but soon came back on figured OK Let's see if system resets after driving and stopping every 20 miles lights are off system reset everything fine hope this helps anybody out