Hello all, picking up my 03 Vibe GT on Tuesday!

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
FinkVibe

Hello all, picking up my 03 Vibe GT on Tuesday!

Post by FinkVibe »

I initially wanted a Civic or Accord for reliability as I have a 2000 Pontiac Grand Am GT and the mileage and reliability is horrible. Went to the dealership and the guy had me try the Vibe GT and I loved it. All Toyota parts is very reassuring and the abundance of room in the car is a big plus. Any tips or information you think I should know?

The Vibe has 110,XXX and just had the catalytic converter replaced. Anything I should look for before I pay for it on Tuesday and drive it home? Only have a deposit on it now but it looks clean and drives nice.
Chiadog

Re: Hello all, picking up my 03 Vibe GT on Tuesday!

Post by Chiadog »

Hi FinkVibe! welcome to the group. the 03 GT is a great car, but I am concerned by the cat replacement at 110K miles! From my experience this doesn't happen unless there is or was a serious engine problem. Another possibility is an inaccurate odometer reading. I suggest having a good mechanic go over the car and do a compression test to check the engine. Check the condition of the interior, the seats should be like new with only 110K miles. carfax checks are a joke on older vehicles, so don't rely on that. I hope the catalytic converter was replaced because of physical damage, like driving over a curb. I hope it checks out for you, but be careful.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I just bought my 03 Vibe GT in November with 130K miles. It had just had a new clutch put in and that's something you'll need to plan for. Chiadog makes a good point, it's not unheard of them needing to be replaced around 100K miles but it's a good idea to make sure the O2 sensors are in good shape and there isn't something leaking into the exhaust. Also get a compression test before buying it. You should see them above 180psi and only maybe 10-12 psi between them.

Have you hit LIFT yet? It kicks in at 6200 rpms and that car will take off like a rocket.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
FinkVibe

Post by FinkVibe »

Thank you so much for the tips! I will definitely have this checked out before I buy. Now I am driving like 90 minutes to buy it. Should I go to a mechanic around that area to have it checked out?
Rayven01

Post by Rayven01 »

FinkVibe wrote:Should I go to a mechanic around that area to have it checked out?
Yes. If you have a trusted mechanic in your area, ask them if they can recommend someone around the seller's area to inspect it. Usually they're more than happy to do so, considering if you buy it they know they'll be servicing it. :)
Image  Image
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

By now I'll assume you have possession of this Vibe. Congrats :D Post pics of it real soon and give us an update as to how you like/dislike it. Welcome and get involved here with the rest of us ;)
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
FinkVibe

Post by FinkVibe »

tpollauf wrote:By now I'll assume you have possession of this Vibe. Congrats :D Post pics of it real soon and give us an update as to how you like/dislike it. Welcome and get involved here with the rest of us ;)
I was able to pick it up and get back in town just in time for work, It drives great and I absolutely love it! I will update more tomorrow seeing as it's late and I have class in the AM.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! Congratulations on your "new" Vibe! Looking forward to seeing pictures of it *hint hint* :D!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage