Stupid, Really, Really Stupid......

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
IBYTRUX

Stupid, Really, Really Stupid......

Post by IBYTRUX »

My fiance is moving from Cheyenne, Wyoming to Florida to be with me. She had a 10X10 storage locker half full in Cheyenne. During our visit Christmas, I wanted to rent a 4X8 UHaul but all that we could find was a 5X8 with about 25% more cube space. Well, I got all but maybe 10% of that storage locker in the trailer but KNOW I was way over the recommended tongue weight and gross weight of the little Vibe. Then I packed the entire back end of the Vibe with more stuff. The only place left over was the driver's and pax seats.

Well, 2,000 miles later, by the grace of God and very careful driving, it all arrived safe and sound in Florida. While I hope I did not shorten the life of the little Vibe, I'm sure I did not help it any. Time will only tell...................
Stupid.JPG
Stupid.JPG (243.04 KiB) Viewed 1502 times
2003 Vibe 5 speed
Crystal River, Fl.
Vulcan05

Re: Stupid, Really, Really Stupid......

Post by Vulcan05 »

I lived in ForiDUH for 21 years.
Go back to Wyoming.
2010 Vibe. Moon roof, Monsoon, 2.4 engine, 5 speed auto, cruise, dark gray.
Zimm

Post by Zimm »

your poor trans and trans fluid!
'10 Black w/1.8L AutoAir/PW/PL/PM
Chiadog

Post by Chiadog »

WOW! So that's what it takes to depress the rear suspension on a Vibe. :lol:
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Vulcan05 wrote:I lived in ForiDUH for 21 years.
Go back to Wyoming.
LOL
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Some TLC maybe be in order to the engine and transmission. Trust me I've done stupider things in lesser cars and they still go around just fine for years.
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
trb

Post by trb »

I did similar with my 10 GT last year with the same trailer, but I just moved a relative about 180 miles. Full trailer and the car was totally packed. It was an adventure for sure! How was the gas mileage? Mine was horrible.

I did change the trans fluid, just a drain & refill, just to be safe. Edit: I just remembered yours is a manual, so it is not like our autos with the heat. If you didn't change it when you bought it, might be worth it now.
Last edited by trb on Sat Jan 11, 2014 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thomas
the "Mustang Guy"
1987 5.0 LX Mustang
2016 Mustang GT - current daily
2004 Satellite Vibe &
2009 Red Vibe GT -twin's cars
2003 Neptune Vibe GT - prior daily
2010 Red Vibe GT - RIP 6/16/14
2006 Platinum Vibe - son's car
Mark

Post by Mark »

Hey, at least it was all downhill. -6000 ft from here to Florida.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
IBYTRUX

Post by IBYTRUX »

I subscribe to the 7 P's...........Prior, Proper, Planning, Prevents, (removed), Poor, Production.

Prior to leaving Florida, I had my local shop drain and fill the trannie with Amsoil Gear Lube 75W90. I also had them do an LOF with a premium oil filter and Castrol Syntec. My fuel mileage coming home pulling the trailer stayed steady around 22 mpg.

The lower the elevation, the better the car ran. On flat ground, it would do fine at 60 mph in 5th gear but I would drop back to 4th to pull the hills. Never did lug the engine or turn it over 3500 rpms...........Everything seems to be fine but I am sure I aged the clutch doing starts.

Time will tell..............This is my first Vibe/Matrix and I love this little rig. Wonder why Toyota dropped the line. My fear now is some idiot running into me and not being able to find another one this nice..........one lady owner, 65,000 original miles, Pontiac serviced since new,The little car is fresher than Angel drawers. I was able to sneak it out the back door of a GM dealer that had traded for it..........$5500.

I am blessed!
2003 Vibe 5 speed
Crystal River, Fl.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Sounds like a quality plan. I'm sure it will last you many more years taking care of it that way. The C59 tranny is know to be a little weak but sounds like you took it through it's paces during this trip.

Good Job, God Bless
triz

Post by triz »

Well at least you had the right transmission fluid in there :mrgreen:
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only