2009 2.4 5 Speed Mait. Questions

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Meddyman

2009 2.4 5 Speed Mait. Questions

Post by Meddyman »

Hello all, new here and I must say...Wow! What a wealth of info. Maybe I missed it but seeking some general info. Bought the 2.4 base model as an early release in April of 08. Today it will turn 220 K. To date I have had the 2 recalls (gas pedal & power windows) done, replaced the brake pads, and changed plugs. Of course regular 5K oil changes, air and cabin filters. I have a new serpentine belt to install when the weather warms up. Is there something I am missing? This little car just runs and runs. :D I would hate to see it fail for an overlooked item. Of course my dealer keeps bugging me to bring it in for service and or trade but why fix something that isn't broken? Have been a Pontiac kind of guy since 67 when my dad bought a Parisienne. (Wish I had that one) Any info or link to some would be appreciated.
Salsa Guy

Re: 2009 2.4 5 Speed Mait. Questions

Post by Salsa Guy »

Welcome to GenVibe. They only thing I would suggest is change over the fluids, Brake, power Steering and Transmission. Hate to burst you bubble but your Pontiac is more of a Toyota. Had to break the news to my Uncle a couple of years back. They are tough little cars and with good maintenance it should last you well over 300K (not sure they fixed the ODO on that year to where it will go over 299K)
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

^ +1

Vibe really is a Toyota with a different body. Only things "Pontiac" about it are the badge and name. When was the last time a wholly GM built :) Pontiac was rated better to much better than average in reliability? :)
triz

Post by triz »

I agree as long as you keep your normal maintenance as you have been doing I wouldn't change a thing.
http://lubedealer.com/mr2ner/home.aspx Please use ZO#5172967
Member discounts when you sign up as Preffered Customer. New Amsoil Customers only
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Welcome to GenVibe! 220,000 miles or kilometers? Either way, that's impressive! Post some pictures of your Vibe when you get a chance ;)!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

Coolant wasn't mentioned, which definitely shouldn't be overlooked! Be sure to use either Toyota SLLP or a compatible fluid for newer Asian vehicles. It should be pre-mixed, and pink in color.

Brake fluid probably wouldn't hurt either if it wasn't touched when the brakes were done. No power steering fluid to worry about.

For the transmission - assuming 5sp manual, if you change the fluid, make sure the proper kind is used. My brother had his changed at a Toyota dealer, and I don't know what they used, but it was never "right" shifting in the cold after that. It only takes about 2 quarts I think for a full drain and fill.

How is oil consumption? Mine's been fine, but the one my brother had with the 2.4 and manual was getting a bit nasty before he got rid of it. At least 2-3 liters between changes. I've only seen mine drop about 1/2 way down the safe zone once, and that was with Valvoline 5W20 conventional, nearing the end of the change interval anyway. Mine's an automatic though, so it revs notably lower on the highway as well, which I'm sure will have some impact.

Great to hear about a newer Vibe getting some miles on reliably. I hope to get plenty out of mine, so news like yours is encouraging. I plan to change my coolant and brake fluids this spring, which will be right around the 100k mile mark or just past.

John
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

I was going to ask the same question that Carrie asked. Are we talking miles or kilometers? My 2009 Vibe has the 2.4L &manual 5-speed, but juniors has an automatic. Juniors also consumes about a quart of oil between oil changes (7500 mile interval) :x and is approaching 50k miles (previous owner must have really abused it). Mine is still at 17k miles so it will be a LONG time before I can comment on longevity :lol:

Post pics of your ride and update us on the reliability. Don't get rid of it until it hits half a million "whatever" and even then ONLY if it becomes a money pit! Welcome :D
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
j42.snyder

Post by j42.snyder »

I know that the appearance of oil isn't a really technical way to tell when it needs to be changed, but mine most definitely looks like it's ready by the 5,000 mile (8k km on my odo) mark. Personally, pushing it past that is being abusive in my books - at least on these particular engines (2.4 that is). Even with Toyota's newer recommendations to run their synthetic 0W20 in these, they still keep the intervals at 5k miles, where the "new" 1.8 can supposedly go double that.

I know for sure that my brother's car saw more than the recommended intervals more than once - but by how much I have no idea. I just remember checking the oil for him and seeing it below the "safe" zone more than once. Even though mine doesn't consume at this time, I still try to at least check about once a week just to be sure. I park on gravel at home, so leaks can easily go unnoticed if they occur. Had that experience with a previous car - don't want to repeat that again! Nothing catastrophic, but still bothered me how low the fluids were before I noticed. I'm sure a few of you may have noticed I am a bit fussy about car care and maintenance ;)

John
brhodea

Post by brhodea »

Just turned 100k in mine and i'm sending an oil sample into Blackstone Lab. They test the oil on many different levels and give you a break down of all the elements they find. My fisrt oil analysis was at about 70K, they said the engine is wearing extremely well and based on the viscosity of my used oil at 5k, they suggested oil change intervals at 7k. I've ued Mobile1 since new and plan on running the wheels off this little runner. BTW, its 2.4, auto and here is a link, only cost $25 for the analysis.

http://www.blackstone-labs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;