the new guy

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
phillydoe22

the new guy

Post by phillydoe22 »

So I just recently bought a 04 vibe gt. Looking to build something different from the rest.. but having very little success in finding anything to give the 1.8l some pep to her step. The first mod id want is to lower it. Then a few engine mods to have better acceleration in lower rpms. Any suggestions for mods or anything let me know!
hotbug1776

Re: the new guy

Post by hotbug1776 »

phillydoe22 wrote:So I just recently bought a 04 vibe gt. Looking to build something different from the rest.. but having very little success in finding anything to give the 1.8l some pep to her step. The first mod id want is to lower it. Then a few engine mods to have better acceleration in lower rpms. Any suggestions for mods or anything let me know!
Custom turbo set up and S-techs
/thread
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

What are S-techs
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Welcome to GenVibe!

S-techs, or rather, Tein S-techs are a lowering spring that can drop the Vibe almost two inches. Also, monkeywrenchracing.com specializes in 1zz and 2zz equipped cars, so you have plenty of goodies available from them. That said, they aren't the only place with goodies, just a place with lots of goodies condensed.
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

KITT222 wrote:Welcome to GenVibe!

S-techs, or rather, Tein S-techs are a lowering spring that can drop the Vibe almost two inches. Also, monkeywrenchracing.com specializes in 1zz and 2zz equipped cars, so you have plenty of goodies available from them. That said, they aren't the only place with goodies, just a place with lots of goodies condensed.

So even though they say it's for a corolla or matrix the 2zz engine mods will work for the pontiac vibe?
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Correct, the Vibe and Toyota Matrix share the platform with the Toyota Corolla, so all three have the same engine/transmissions/electrics/suspension, with the Vibe/Matrix having a slightly different rear setup for the extra weight, and the AWD Vibe/Matrix being more unique.
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

KITT222 wrote:Correct, the Vibe and Toyota Matrix share the platform with the Toyota Corolla, so all three have the same engine/transmissions/electrics/suspension, with the Vibe/Matrix having a slightly different rear setup for the extra weight, and the AWD Vibe/Matrix being more unique.

Okay awesome. So with that said, will the skunk 2 coilover sleeves be worth it? They say a max drop of three inches.
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

The tien seem to be the most popular, but if suspension techniques is still having a blowout sale they have good springs to either pit some tokico blue struts on at the same time.
As far as power goes if you want more down low either cams or forced induction. The cams will deff wake it up between 4-6k but if you want more than 200hp at the wheels go turbo. Bolt ons help , from what ive researched these motors can get a good 15 hp from just intake and exhaust. But it wolnt become apparent unless you are in the higher rev range . So best bet if you dont wanna go faster than high 14's is stage 2 cams w intake and exhaust
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

Never get coil over sleeves they are junk, just get a good spring and new struts and call it a day , coil overs that dont suck cost atleast a thousand dollars
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

Any suspension sites to find these struts and springs?
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

I've been searching everything I can think of and I'm not getting what I'm looking for. Maybe I'm not looking or searching the right things but I cannot find struts anywhere. Aftermarket ones that is
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

there arnt as many on ebay now as there was last time i checked , however if you search "toyota Matrix struts" you will find some . tokico is the best ,kyb is slightly better than stock , the stag's are very cheap and may be tempting but i assure you they are worse than used oem so stay away from stag . but if you are going to lower it id deff go with tokico , they will hold up longer on a lowered car . ps make sure you get the 2wd/fwd version of the struts and not the awd, and the matrix as well as corrola share the same suspension....

ps here is a link to how to lower a vibe from when i did mine last year
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=39411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

revstohigh wrote:there arnt as many on ebay now as there was last time i checked , however if you search "toyota Matrix struts" you will find some . tokico is the best ,kyb is slightly better than stock , the stag's are very cheap and may be tempting but i assure you they are worse than used oem so stay away from stag . but if you are going to lower it id deff go with tokico , they will hold up longer on a lowered car . ps make sure you get the 2wd/fwd version of the struts and not the awd, and the matrix as well as corrola share the same suspension....

ps here is a link to how to lower a vibe from when i did mine last year
viewtopic.php?f=26&t=39411" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
All I can find is the KYB struts. And the only way is see getting them is buying each one separately. I might have no choice but to do that if I can't find a set for sale or anything like that
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

its a start..............

http://www.ebay.com/itm/TOKICO-FRONT-BL ... 09&vxp=mtr" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

There is a guy on Matrixowners selling some spring. As far as pep it her step have you hit Lift yet? About 6400 rpms. Right now my 03 GT is popping p1693 which means it isn't working.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Also a guy on here selling lowering spring. I bought the ST, he still has a another set for sale. Also there is Canuck that has them for this car.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
phillydoe22

Post by phillydoe22 »

All I need to do is find the tokico blue rear struts/shocks and I'm set. But beating myself up because I can't find (removed)
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

There is a set or rears for 195 shipped on ebay right now search tokico corolla