2003 Vibe GT Check list

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
Salsa Guy

2003 Vibe GT Check list

Post by Salsa Guy »

Here are the items I need to address:
Recirculation Door Won't Open. Stuck in recir mode can't let the fresh air in and makes noise
Lift actuator need to be inspected and/or filter needs to be changed
OCV Filter cleaned
Replace Tensioner/belt. The release bolt is badly damaged not sure how to get it off without cutting the belt off
Battery Tie down replaced. Using a bungy cord now
Remove front door tint.
Front Driver side window won't seal and fix dent.
Fix scratched up trim pieces inside.
Fix HU knobs. They are badly worn. Any suggestions?
Fix Front Pass. Door side skirt.
Repair Windshield. Hopefully a repair kit will do it. Nickle size dent.
Need trunk carpet and cover.
05 Matrix XR 4WD and 03 Vibe GT
"If you want Government to solve your problems, then you are the problem!" BMSR
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
GT MODS: Cosmo SRI, DRL, Auto Stop
KITT222

Re: 2003 Vibe GT Check list

Post by KITT222 »

Here's a little help with the recirc motor. A little tip a few of us have used: just open the motor up and flip the servo gear. The teeth on one side may be stripped, and it doesn't really use all the teeth. It's a free fix, so why not give it a try?

viewtopic.php?t=23692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39571&p=471973&hil ... ix#p471973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re battery tie down: There's at least one Vibe being parted out near me. I could ask for a price from them and ship you an OEM tie-down.

HU knobs: get an aftermarket HU, or a trick I've heard is nail polish. The GM radio in the Vibe is pretty crappy, so nobody will blame you if you decide to toss it.

Door skirt: Some 3M trim tape can hold the cladding down pretty well.

That's all I have for now. Good luck with it!
revstohigh

Post by revstohigh »

I have a stock 03 radio w very little wear on the buttons. Pm me to make an offer or for pics of it
03 GT, t3/t40e rear mounted, aem fic,550cc inj, mwr fuel pump, 2 row rad, trd thrmostat, wmr shifter, tokico struts, st springs, progress bars, 17x7 235/45
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

KITT222 wrote:Here's a little help with the recirc motor. A little tip a few of us have used: just open the motor up and flip the servo gear. The teeth on one side may be stripped, and it doesn't really use all the teeth. It's a free fix, so why not give it a try?

viewtopic.php?t=23692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

viewtopic.php?f=20&t=39571&p=471973&hil ... ix#p471973" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re battery tie down: There's at least one Vibe being parted out near me. I could ask for a price from them and ship you an OEM tie-down.

HU knobs: get an aftermarket HU, or a trick I've heard is nail polish. The GM radio in the Vibe is pretty crappy, so nobody will blame you if you decide to toss it.

Door skirt: Some 3M trim tape can hold the cladding down pretty well.

That's all I have for now. Good luck with it!
Thanks dude.

Will put out a WTB for the battery Tie Down, Cargo Mat and Cover. Let me know what you can get your hands on and how much...I may even send you a jar of salsa for helping me out.

I believe the car has Moons and Tunes HU. The knobs look like he11. I did a HU swap on the Trix but the M&T is a different animal.

The door skirt has a dis-attached clip. Shouldn't be hard to fix.

The links for the recir door are great. Knew they were around but didn't search for them yet.

I'd like to find some OEM 17" rims also.

Thanks again!

The Trix will be the Angel (lunar mist) and Vibe is the Devil (Lava Red)
Trix MODS: SRI w/ AEM filter, Vibrant/Magnaflow Cat-back, Alutec Lightweight Crank Pulley
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Woo salsa! Mi familia would be very appreciative. I sent an email and will try the other guys tomorrow, and get a price. I've found a pair or two of OEM 17s on Craigslist while just window-shopping. Then again, I believe CL to be the best resource for good used wheels/tires. It's where I got my car, summer wheels, winter wheels, and other laptop.

Weren't you going to do a 3S-GTE swap to the Matrix? That swap you were talking about won't make it angelic for too long. :twisted:

And no problem! Welcome to the Vibe family!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well my daughter is taking over the TRIX, so right now I'm doing some de-mods to it. Removing the Hella Horns, HID Fogs, DC STB and Coil Cover and putting them on the Vibe. She doesn't want any of them. I'm leaving the SRI, Alutec Crank Pulley, Cat-Back and lowering springs on because they won't fit on the Vibe.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Out of curiosity, what kind of change did you notice with the crank pulley?
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Maybe a few HPs to the wheels, there's some formula about if you can cut spinning off the engine/drivetrain it's worth twice that in dead weight. That pulley shouldn't be used on the 2zz because of the higher Revs.

With the pulley, Cat-Back and SRI I may have picked up 10-15 at the wheels on the AWD Trix. I know before the Mods 0-60 was mid 12 Seconds after the mods its low 11s. Had it running sub 8s with the SC.

Had to tame it down for my little girl. While dad got the GT.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

Neither place I called had the battery tie-down. BUT from GM the town down and rod would be less than $20. Call the local Toyota dealer, they'll probably have it for less.

http://orders.partstaxi.com/parts/2003/ ... am=FM03090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Thanks again!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well I have the DRL, Fog light and Sunroof Autostop mods done. Added HID Fogs and Hella Horns. Inspected the Lift Actuator and it was filthy but after cleaning it still won't hit Lift and Popped a P1693 again. Added a Coil cover for the 1zz, it looks OK but need to cover the wiring harness above the intake rails.
Derf

Post by Derf »

Not sure about your exact problem with the front driver window sealing, but this may help:
viewtopic.php?f=20&t=41595" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2005 #10,524 Neptune Vibe "Bandit" Auto, Moon & Tunes 235k :D
1991 Pontiac Bonneville 3.8L "Granny's Whip" 142k (33nd Anniversary :o )
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

Salsa Guy wrote:Inspected the Lift Actuator and it was filthy but after cleaning it still won't hit Lift and Popped a P1693 again.
Have you tested it? It's an oil control valve, right? I think you can apply voltage to it and test to see if the plunger moves, but for the lift OCV, I haven't found the procedure yet.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Thanks guys for the help. The vid is good info and need to look at the window rails.

Yea I pulled the Lift OCV and it was NASTY. I tried cleaning and "bench" tested it but won't work in the car. Will need to check the VVTi OCV and filter. But the belt tension release bolt is buggered so I can't get the belt to move the alternator and get at them.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

I need to drain the Tranny gear oil and but some fresh in. I suspect either a strut or some other type suspension/steering issue. Kinda of a slight noise when I hit bumps on the drive side. Will get it figured before installing lowering spring if it's a strut/mount issues then I'll kill 2 birds with one stone.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Look at this NASTY mess. I dug a little deeper in the Lift Actuator body and found this. No wonder it didn't work. Everything is plugged up badly, trying to clean this and where it attaches to the head. The filter so dirty Carb cleaner won't go through. When the Lift working is working I drain and put fresh oil in it. I'm kicking myself for not getting into it last weekend.

After 3 hours of cleaning, fetching more carb cleaner and small round brushes we hit LIFT!!! And no codes!!!

It's like having Nitrous injection. Almost as good as s e x...almost....LOL

The aftermath, the cleaning filter was the hardest.

Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Well I got the Tranny Fluid changed over to AMSoil GL-4. The Severe Gear GL-5 didn't say it was safe for Brass so I passed. Also ran some AMSoil engine flush through it. Pour it in let idle for 10-15 minutes, turned off, drained oil, replaced filter, refill with Mobil 1.

Now for the bad news: My 15.5 y/o daughter, that just got her learner's permit, backed the Trix into a metal yard sign and trash can. Only damage is to her pride and the rear bottom spoiler. Everything is repairable.

They came home and told me about it, I was laughing at first out in the garage finishing up the Vibe, but when they went back out to inspect the damage my daughter said something about "Glue" I stopped laughing.
KITT222

Post by KITT222 »

That's some serious gunk. Glad you figured that out. Stinks about the 'Trix, but that's its new reality for a while... Teach her to care for her automobile, maybe have her pay a little for it too, just so she'll care more about keeping the paint clean rather than distracting herself. That said, it's a simple mistake, not knowing the corners of the car. You could try putting some of the snow bank sticks to the corners of the Matrix to help her learn them. It would have helped me, that's for sure.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

KITT222 wrote:That's some serious gunk. Glad you figured that out. Stinks about the 'Trix, but that's its new reality for a while... Teach her to care for her automobile, maybe have her pay a little for it too, just so she'll care more about keeping the paint clean rather than distracting herself. That said, it's a simple mistake, not knowing the corners of the car. You could try putting some of the snow bank sticks to the corners of the Matrix to help her learn them. It would have helped me, that's for sure.
Yea I had her helping me take it off. She has learned to check the oil, fluids, air pressure and a few other things. She knows how an engine works. We don't have snow but the driveway she was backing out of has a curve she failed to negotiate. I'm not paying $350 for the part then have it painted. It's not a tough repair, 4" metal strap, epoxy, longer bolt, a few plastic rivets and 45 minutes should fix it.

It's only her 2nd day with the permit, she's pretty broken up about it. My wife should have been coaching her better and knew layout.
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

*UPDATE*

Recirculation Door Won't Open. Stuck in recir mode can't let the fresh air in and makes noise. *DONE*
Lift actuator need to be inspected and/or filter needs to be changed *DONE*
OCV Filter cleaned
Replace Tensioner/belt. The release bolt is badly damaged not sure how to get it off without cutting the belt off
Battery Tie down replaced. Using a bungy cord now. *DONE*
Remove front door tint. *Driver side DONE*
Front Driver side window won't seal and fix dent. *Found a fix*
Fix scratched up trim pieces inside.
Fix HU knobs. They are badly worn. Any suggestions? *HELP*
Fix Front Pass. Door side skirt.
Repair Windshield. Hopefully a repair kit will do it. Nickle size dent. *Can't be repaired but Sealed*
Need trunk carpet and cover. *HELP*

**NEW**
Right side, rear engine oil leak. Believe it's coming from the Valve Cover.
SRI to be installed!
STB Installed!
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

Another new issue: P0420...oh joy, time for a new CAT.
Complete the removal of the passenger side front tint removal. At least who ever added the tint on the driver side learn from the mistakes and didn't butcher the passenger side.
Also learned the front O2 is in the down pipe instead on the manifold like the 1zz.
hoooboy

Post by hoooboy »

Salsa Guy wrote:*UPDATE*
Need trunk carpet and cover. *HELP*
viewtopic.php?f=46&t=42775" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

For the HU... maybe you can replace it. Stock HU doesnt worth alot of money IMO
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

^Thanks
Salsa Guy

Post by Salsa Guy »

The other I checked #1 plug for condition and decided to replace them. So when doing so today 3 of the 4 coils had cracks. Afterwards looking at the old ones they had part number AC Delco 41-800. Doing a search I found out they are for the 1zz engine and not the 2zz.

This is very interesting because the MPGs have been fine (around 30) and the car runs like a scalded dog. I wonder how these new NGK IFR6T11 plugs will affect all that?