Old Body Style vs. New Body Style

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
timsdiecast

Old Body Style vs. New Body Style

Post by timsdiecast »

My wife and I have only ever owned the first body style of Vibes. We've owned two 2003s, one 2004, and one 2006. We've been out test driving 2009 and 2010 Vibes, and my wife and I both think the new body style has less room, and we seem cramped. Does anybody else who has owned both the old body style and new style have an opinion on this?
SeattleJeremy

Re: Old Body Style vs. New Body Style

Post by SeattleJeremy »

The interior dimensions of the second gen Vibes are marginally smaller in almost every dimension.
http://autos.msn.com/research/compare/i ... &v=t108943" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's most pronounced when loading things in to the hatch. The opening is much smaller in the second gen, although the "Cargo Volume (cu. ft.)" listed as larger.
*Sold* 06' Vibe Base - Mono Platinum - Manual
Turo'ing 15' BMW 328i Sport - Jet Black - Auto
Daily 19' Toyota Camry SE Hybrid - Galactic Aqua Mica - eCVT
psiu

Post by psiu »

I agree -- we have a 2003 Base and picked up a 2010 AWD this summer. Less room all around. Also, and now that I am looking for it, I am spotting it, it seems the quality went down as well. I don't mean NUMMI workers did any lesser work, but it sure feels like the accountant's said, "we are shutting down, notify all suppliers we slashing the amount we will pay by 15% across the board." Everything is just cheaper feeling, interior trim pieces popping off, the seats adjustments feel flimsy and don't "lock" in very wheel, odd creaks and rattles, touchy fly by wire system, etc etc.

PS DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get one with the optional (I believe package N75) chrome clad 17" wheels, #6648. They are basically impossible to find now.

/late thread reply
Mark

Post by Mark »

These are some of the reasons that I specifically went looking for a 2008 model when I wanted a second Vibe. And the glass hatch that opens too. I like that feature.
'08 Base Stealth, '05 Base Satellite
cythraul

Post by cythraul »

Mark wrote:These are some of the reasons that I specifically went looking for a 2008 model when I wanted a second Vibe. And the glass hatch that opens too. I like that feature.
Indeed that rear glass is awesome. I often drive it open when I haul long things.. like 2x4, 10-12 feets long! :)
2007 Vibe 1.8L Automatic 185K, B&M 70264 Transmission Cooler, Custom 2" hitch receiver.
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

psiu wrote:PS DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT get one with the optional (I believe package N75) chrome clad 17" wheels, #6648. They are basically impossible to find now.
OTOH, you could buy one with the chrome clad wheels, pull them off and get nice aftermarket wheels and sell the stock wheels for some nice scratch.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Although the 2nd Gen Vibe looks more modern and sporty, the old 1st Gen body style did hit the spot with cargo access. I've had some moments, looking at a few of the more efficient cars around, where I thought of possibly going to a new car, but then reality sets in and when comparing reliability, interior volume and fairly good mpg, it's tough to rationalize switching.

Then again, I'm lucky that I haven't had to put a huge amount of miles on my '08, so it still compares well to the newer cars out there. Not to mention that it's paid for, which is a nice plus.

The only car that compares well with my '08 isn't the 2nd Gen. I love the looks of the GTs, but to keep the interior utility and up the mpg, I'd have to go with the way more expensive Ford C-Max (not the C-Max Energy plug in, cause the battery cuts down the cargo by a lot). The C-Max hybrid handles and drives like a Focus. Rented one for a week and it was surprising. Solid, quiet, soft touch materials on doors and dash. But when I look at what it costs to run my old Vibe (no payment and 36-40 mpg in Summer) compared to a car that got 44 mpg in Summer, it just wasn't enough to move me toward a purchase.
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires