Front License Plate

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
runningslow

Front License Plate

Post by runningslow »

Long story short: I'm preparing to move to Texas. :o

Texas requires a front license plate. Florida, where I currently live, does not and I'm not too keen on the idea of drilling holes in my front bumper. Actually, make that bumpers, because I'll have to put one on my wife's Corolla, too. I've done some searching online for options, but have not found anything specific to the Vibe.

Has anyone here mounted a front plate in an alternative way that doesn't involve screwing it directly to front of the bumper?
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
2006 Vibe ~ Lava, Base, Auto
2005 Corolla S ~ Silver Streak Mica, Manual (Wife's)
A common mistake that people make when trying to design something
completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.
KITT222

Re: Front License Plate

Post by KITT222 »

Option 1: zip ties or 3m double-sided tape

Option 2: bracket of some sort that can be drilled into the bottom of the bumper, or other surface such as the top of the lower grille.

Option 3: Risk it. Go no-plate but keep it in your car. If you're pulled over just say you have yet to mount it and don't want to drill holes. Other members have gotten away with that. Or set it on your dash. Maybe that would work.
timsdiecast

Post by timsdiecast »

I bought a 2006 Vibe in New York, and brought it home to Michigan, and the first thing I did when I got home was take the front license plate bracket of it. I still have it if you need it. Only 2 screws holding it on.
IBYTRUX

Post by IBYTRUX »

I have one too if you need it .............................
2003 Vibe 5 speed
Crystal River, Fl.
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

KITT222 wrote:.

Option 3: Risk it. Go no-plate but keep it in your car. If you're pulled over just say you have yet to mount it and don't want to drill holes. Other members have gotten away with that. Or set it on your dash. Maybe that would work.
I like option three :D

It's been working for me and Junior's Vibe. Four years for me and two years for Junior and no hassles yet!
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
beemerphile1

Post by beemerphile1 »

A while back I saw someone advertising a front plate bracket that mounts under the car. The plate was retractable for car shows or whatever.
NE Ohio - home to the most successful Pontiac drag racing team in history - Bill Knafel's "Tin Indian" and also home to Summit Auto Racing.
2009 Vibe base 1.8L auto towing 2009 Aliner Sport hardsided pop-up
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Thanks for the replies. :D

Once I make the move, I'll go with option 3 until I figure something else out. In reality, I'm going to hold onto my Florida tag as long as possible. I'll be up to renew my registration at the end of Janurary, so that'll probably when I make the change, assuming I've moved by then.

I've found this bracket: http://www.bellautomotive.com/License-P ... 6230-8.htm

Its cheap enough that I'm not too worried about breaking the bank and experimenting. Looks like it should be able to mount to the bottom of the front bumper.

To those that offered their factory front plate mounts: thanks, but no thanks. :) That's what I'm trying to avoid. I just happened to see that bracket on a Vibe last night, without a plate. If I had bought the car with that installed, it wouldn't bother me, but I'm not a fan. My Vibe is by no means a show queen, but I'm particular enough that I want to avoid drilling holes on the front face of the bumper.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
lannvouivre

Post by lannvouivre »

KITT222 wrote:Or set it on your dash. Maybe that would work.
Not in TX it won't! :P You see a lot of people do it, but it's not legal apparently and they will ticket you for it if the right one catches you and also happens to care at the same time.
"If you don't love me at my diddliest, you don't deserve me at my doodliest." - User ktluvscricket of reddit
vibolista

Post by vibolista »

Start a campaign or movement to end front plate requirement. Save the states resources and money by only having to produce one plate per car! We end up with a car that looks way better, has improved aerodynamics and engine cooling air flow. Plus no holes in our front bumpers. Win-win-win-++!

If the police have to know who you are from the front and the back of the car, then how about from the sides of the car? Chip the plate and they can know immediately from any angle. Save them the trouble of having to pull you over on a dangerous highway. Big brother's dream come true!! :shock:
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Runningslow: What year is your Vibe? Guess I'm confused. I live in Texas. My 03 which I bought 2 months ago has the front plate on it mounted to a black plastic piece mounted in the center of the bumper. Corvettes come with the same type mount that come with the car and are put on at the dealer in states where the plate is required. On the Corvette, the mount attaches with double sided tape. I assumed the Vibe mount attaches the same way (can't say for sure).

Here's a picture of how mine mounts. Maybe will others will know if it uses double sided tape.

Where in Texas are you moving? I'm in Wichita Falls.
Attachments
002_crop.jpg
002_crop.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 5117 times
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

Sorry for the too big picture. I tried to reduce it an it didn't work. If you need me to email the picture, I can.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

tpollauf wrote:
KITT222 wrote:Option 3: Risk it. Go no-plate but keep it in your car. If you're pulled over just say you have yet to mount it and don't want to drill holes. Other members have gotten away with that. Or set it on your dash. Maybe that would work.
I like option three :D

It's been working for me and Junior's Vibe. Four years for me and two years for Junior and no hassles yet!
x2! Both our Vibes have been without front license plates since July of 2010. Neither one of us has ever been pulled over. As a matter of fact, cops don't even look twice at our Vibes :cool:!
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

MadJoe wrote:Runningslow: What year is your Vibe? Guess I'm confused. I live in Texas. My 03 which I bought 2 months ago has the front plate on it mounted to a black plastic piece mounted in the center of the bumper. Corvettes come with the same type mount that come with the car and are put on at the dealer in states where the plate is required. On the Corvette, the mount attaches with double sided tape. I assumed the Vibe mount attaches the same way (can't say for sure).

Here's a picture of how mine mounts. Maybe will others will know if it uses double sided tape.

Where in Texas are you moving? I'm in Wichita Falls.
I'll be moving to the Dallas area. I haven't settled on a final location, but my office is close to downtown.

My Vibe is an '06. The factory mount I saw was the same as in your picture. Unless I'm mistaken, beneath the plate are two screws that go into the bumper.

As for my wife's Corolla, apparently Toyota's solution was just to screw the plate to bumper. There isn't even a mount.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
NascarXprt

Post by NascarXprt »

i used suction cups and put it on the inside of the windshield in the top corner.

My '04 Garage - My '06 Garage - My '09 GT Garage
November 2006 MOTM / February 2007 VOTM / April 2010 VOTM / June 2011 VOTM
tpollauf

Post by tpollauf »

NascarXprt wrote:i used suction cups and put it on the inside of the windshield in the top corner.
Nice !!! And to see that you're teasing the cops by hanging out close to them! I love it :lol:
2009 Vibe GT (manual), 2009 G8Gt, 2009 Vibe GT (auto)
2014 Silverado, 2004 Vibe GT

"everything is modifiable"
MadJoe

Post by MadJoe »

You may never get a ticket with it on the windshield, but it does not conform to TX state law in that location.
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Just to post an update (not that anyone cares), but in the end I just used to the factory mount. As it turns out, I had one tucked into the spare tire well.

Here's a picture I posted in the Vibe Love thread:

I bought the Bell mount that I linked to above and that's what I ended up using on my wife's corolla that didn't have a factory mount. I'm not completely happy with it, but that's because of some issues I had mounting it. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would. I may snap some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing that.

I was having a long drawn out heartfelt debate with myself about how I going to mount it. I finally rationalized it myself this way:
  • I do not see myself leaving Texas anytime in the near future. By the time I do, I likely won't be driving this particular car anymore.
  • The car isn't exactly a show queen. I love my Vibe, but she's 8 years old and shows it.
  • The factory mount doesn't look that bad, plus I already had it.
  • Its just two screw holes. Should I want to remove it, I could probably fill those holes and make it look like new with some touchup paint.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

runningslow wrote:Just to post an update (not that anyone cares), but in the end I just used to the factory mount. As it turns out, I had one tucked into the spare tire well.

Here's a picture I posted in the Vibe Love thread:

I bought the Bell mount that I linked to above and that's what I ended up using on my wife's corolla that didn't have a factory mount. I'm not completely happy with it, but that's because of some issues I had mounting it. If I had the chance to do it over again, I would. I may snap some pictures if anyone is interested in seeing that.

I was having a long drawn out heartfelt debate with myself about how I going to mount it. I finally rationalized it myself this way:
  • I do not see myself leaving Texas anytime in the near future. By the time I do, I likely won't be driving this particular car anymore.
  • The car isn't exactly a show queen. I love my Vibe, but she's 8 years old and shows it.
  • The factory mount doesn't look that bad, plus I already had it.
  • Its just two screw holes. Should I want to remove it, I could probably fill those holes and make it look like new with some touchup paint.

Maybe someone cared, but it was ruined when you made mention of it in your first sentence. For what it was worth, I cared, and thank you for posting the solution to your issue :)
runningslow

Post by runningslow »

Nasmfell wrote:Maybe someone cared, but it was ruined when you made mention of it in your first sentence. For what it was worth, I cared, and thank you for posting the solution to your issue :)
Thanks for caring. :D I just said that as a joke, since its been the better part of year since I started the discussion and I haven't been too active on the forum lately.

In the end, I'm still not happy about needing the front plate in the first place, but I can live with my decision to just use the factory mount.
Josh
2005 Vibe GT ~ Platinum
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I care too ;)! I appreciate when someone actually takes the time to post an update in a thread they started, even if it is almost a year later. Many people on here (and on any other internet forum) often post a thread and then you never hear from them again, so it's nice to actually get an update from someone.

FYI, in case you do ever remove the front license plate and bracket and want to get rid of the holes, there's a relatively cheap and easy way to do it. I did it on my 2009 Vibe GT. I simply got a pack of plastic interior panel retainers from Auto Zone, sanded them down smooth, sprayed a couple coats of adhesion promoter and then a couple coats of color matched paint from GM and pushed them into the front license plate holes in the front bumper cover. They look much better than having two holes there and it didn't cost an arm and a leg. Best part is, if the paint on them ever needs touching up, you just pop them out, touch them up and pop them back in. Click on my signature picture to visit my Garage thread and you'll see a ton of pictures showing how it looks.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage