Considering trading Vibe - Value?

General discussions about the Pontiac Vibe & Toyota Matrix. New members, introduce yourself here!
PlatinumVibe08

Considering trading Vibe - Value?

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Love my Vibe. Bought it new. Great car. Considering trading it for something a bit more sporty, more fuel efficient, with more luxury amenities. Got a feeling the dealer is going to give me about $8K trade on my Vibe. It's a 2008, Platinum, Auto, Power Windows, Sunroof, 56K miles, new tires, one owner, extremely clean. I see where dealers have 2007 - 2008 Vibes priced at $9K - $13K depending mostly on miles. While I'd love to get $10K trade, I don't think $8K is too bad. Thinking of trading for a 2012 CT200h with 20K miles for about $18K - $19K difference OTD.

Based on what folks have buying/selling Vibes for lately, is $8K trade-in value too far out of line?
2006 Lexus SC430 White Gold Crystal
2010 Lexus RX350 Matador Red Mica
2013 Lexus CT200h Starfire Pearl
vibenvy

Re: Considering trading Vibe - Value?

Post by vibenvy »

I can't really help you with prices and all, but definitely keep us posted if you end up with a CT200h. I have really taken a liking to them and will be curious to hear your thoughts about how they compare to the Vibe.
2009 Liquid Platinum Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
2009 Steel Blue Metallic Vibe GT - 5-Speed Auto – Garage
Nasmfell

Post by Nasmfell »

No. Sounds like a good price. The dealer is offering you $8K and will try to sell it for $10K (make up what they pay you for it, and make a little profit as well). Barring that, they'll send it to auction, and see if they can make back what they would pay you and again make a little profit as well.
thebarber

Post by thebarber »

lexus ct? i thought you wanted something sporty...?

8 sounds about right if locals are selling 9-13k....but i'd push for more....just remember they're making money off both your trade in AND the new car purchase
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

vibenvy, I'll definitely keep you updated if I end up with a CT. Here's the one I'm looking at. http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail.js ... =126116587

Nasmfell, Thanks for your input. That's pretty much what I thought.

the barber, Thank you too for your input. If you read my original post closely, you'll see that I indicated I wanted something more sporty than the Vibe. When compared to the Vibe, the CT200h is certainly more sporty, gets better fuel economy, and has many more luxury features. I'm aware that the CT is far from a powerhouse, but hey, I've got my SC430 for that. ;)
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Do a national search at carmax.com to see their "no haggle" prices. I suspect that the $8,000 trade in reality rolls in a $2,000+ discount (or more) you would get if buying without a trade-in with the balance $6,000 (or less ) what they are really giving you for your Vibe.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
lowincash

Post by lowincash »

Carmax offered me $8000 for the vibe with 56k miles on it. The first mazda dealer I went to wanted to give me only $6000 for it saying since it's been in a rear end accident before, it's not worth that much =/ Went to another dealer and told them if they can match carmax's offer we'll buy the car now. I told them carmax offered me $8500 and they agreed on that trade in price. I probably could have said more since they didn't even check anything :(
-- 2009 Vibe GT in Jet Black
jake75

Post by jake75 »

Let us know what price the dealer asks when he goes to sell it.
2009 Vibe 1.8L Carbon Gray AT Power Pkg 1/12/092003 Vibe 1.8L Neptune AT Mono Power Pkg 1/27/03 [sold 2/2/09]2007 T&C SWB 7/31/07 "Broke people stay broke by living like they're rich. Rich people stay rich by living like they're broke."
Kincaid

Post by Kincaid »

Sounds like a great price on the Lexus.
1997 Civic EX sedan w/auto trans2001 Accord EX sedan w/5-spd manual2009 Vibe 2.4L w/5-spd manual, sunroof, monsoon, GT spoiler, Magnaflow muffler and rolled SS tip, lowered on H-Tech springs, window tint, debadged (save the red arrow!).
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

I took the plunge today and bought a brand new 2013 CT200h to replace my 2008 Vibe with 56K miles. The MSRP on the loaded Lexus was a lofty $39K and some change. I traded my Vibe in for a difference of $25K. You can look at it two ways. One can say that they gave me $14K trade value for the Vibe off the Lexus MSRP. The reality is that they were able to discount the Lexus $7K and ended up putting $7K in my trade. All said, I'm a happy camper! :D

vibolista

Post by vibolista »

I would have sold the Vibe myself... look at what the dealers want for similar Vibes on their lots or on line and then advertise it for $1,000 or so less. Usually comes out a couple of thousand bucks or more in your favor. But, you took the plunge!!

By purchasing the CT200h you didn't fall too far from the Vibe/Matrix mother tree. Last time I looked at the specs, they were curiously equal to the Vibe/Matrix numbers. Interior design and build is really nice though! I did look at one while getting an oil change at the Toyota shop. They had Lexus next door. Since Vibe and Matrix owners are interchangeable, I think the CT200h should belong in genvibe.

Will be interested to hear how you rate the ride and room, especially compared to the Vibe. I'm sure that the CT200h will be a lot better removed from road noise, with better insulation and isolation components.

Not sure about the Sporting side of this car. It does have the 1.8L related to the Vibe/Matrix, but has been tweaked to Prius specification for hybrid duty and uses the Atkinson cycle for efficiency. That means that 0-60 mph times are going to be around the 10 second mark. Not that important to me, but definitely not what these numbers should be in the "Sporting" realm. I really do like the hybrid system's mpg numbers... they are excellent.

I was somewhat surprised to note that there was no 110V outlet, like the ones our Vibes have and that the rear seats don't fold down. Stationary rear seat backs are probably due to the traction battery location, I would imagine. I looked at it last year, so maybe the new ones are different?

On the whole, I think you'll really like the mpg capability and the quiet environment that the CT200h should provide. Let us know!
'08 Manual, Sun&Sound, 17" Borbet Type CA wheels, 215/50 Summer Tires... 16" OE steel, 215/55 Snow Tires
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

Ooh.. very nice :shock:! The only real downfall to the CT200h that I see is that it does not have a large active online community like the Vibe does. As vibolista said though, I most definitely look forward to hearing your thoughts about the CT compared to the Vibe and perhaps some more CT pictures *hint hint*...
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

Sure, I could have probably came out $1500 to $2000 ahead if I would have bought the Lexus outright and sold the Vibe on my own. Do I have any regrets? Absolutely not. It was totally worth it to me to leave the Vibe at Mungenast Lexus, drive the CT home, and skip the PITA process of selling the Vibe to an individual.

I, too, think the CT200h should be included in the GenVibe family. As a matter of fact, I'm gonna stay and hang out just like I belong here. :D

Since there is more to a car being sporty than straight line acceleration, I stand by my claim that the CT is much sportier than the Vibe. Handles as if on rails and looks so good doing it. Sure, it feels like it's in reverse when you step on the gas compared to my SC430, but 44 mpg is the icing on the sporty cake.

Very quiet, very luxurious, a little lower to the ground and slightly cramped space-wise compared to the Vibe.

I'm thinking the lack of a large active online community for the CT vs. Vibe is simply a function of the number of these vehicles on the road compared to the Vibe. For example, I'm in Carbondale, IL and you can't go anywhere in southern Illinois without seeing several Vibes. On the other hand, it appears that I'm the only CT200h on the road. I've yet to see another one outside St. Louis.

Did I mention I put 5.1 gallons of gas in the tank to fill up for 225 miles driven. Do the math. ;)

vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

I am most definitely a fan of the CT200h! I too feel that it is pretty sporty despite not having huge amounts of horsepower. Sporty to me means more than just power. It's looks, handling, etc. Lexus has F-Sport lowering springs, a rear anti-sway bar and front strut brace that you can get for it, so if it handles great already, I can just imagine how it would handle with that stuff added to it :shock:! I am completely satisfied with my Vibe, but if I were currently in the market for a new vehicle, the CT200h would definitely be at the top of my list! I have seen a few on the roads around my general area, but not anywhere near as many as I see Vibes, although curiously enough, I see many more 1st gen Vibes around here than I do 2nd gens, especially 2nd gen GTs.
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

PlatinumVibe08 wrote: I'm in Carbondale, IL and you can't go anywhere in southern Illinois without seeing several Vibes.
Whoa I'm in Herrin, you are the only person I've seen on here from the area.
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

DTeck wrote:
PlatinumVibe08 wrote: I'm in Carbondale, IL and you can't go anywhere in southern Illinois without seeing several Vibes.
Whoa I'm in Herrin, you are the only person I've seen on here from the area.
Hi DTeck. I've been on here nearly six years and this is a great online community. I believe you're the only other Vibe owner I've seen on here from S. Illinois also. I'll keep an eye out for you on Rt. 13. I see you have a white 2008. Does it have the grey bottom trim or is it color matched? What other distinguishing feature(s) set your Vibe apart? If you see a white Lexus with chrome wheels, it's probably me in my either my SC430 or CT200h. PlatinumVibe08
DTeck

Post by DTeck »

It has the grey bottom trim. No mods yet other than adding a power outlet in the console. The only thing to set it apart is my gf's garter from last year's prom on the rearview. Its the only manual vibe I've seen in person, I won't own an automatic. Bare bones base. Mostly commuting to JALC, or at Herrin McDs or Phils pharmacy (I work at both). I'll keep an eye out for ya.
vibenvy

Post by vibenvy »

@ PlatinumVibe08 & DTeck: You should both consider coming to the 2014 GenVibe meet, assuming we do indeed have it in Pontiac, IL again (which it's looking like we will) ;). Click the link in my signature to check out the planning thread.
PlatinumVibe08

Post by PlatinumVibe08 »

jake75 wrote:Let us know what price the dealer asks when he goes to sell it.
$11,000

Here's the link to the car ----> http://www.mungenastlexusofstlouis.com/ ... 2135994093